LP 13/Invisible: Please return, there's stuff to see!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's and idea, let's be all over the media for a few weeks Golden Globes, Super Bowl, Fallon, Oscars, with nothing to promote, and when it's all over be gone for who the hell knows and release the album. Sounds like the new manager is paying off. Oh, how I miss the days of money bags Mcguinness, at least with him the promotion was predictable. Screw this band.

The only reason something is now finished before and being delivered at the Super Bowl is because of $$$$. The money other people spend on it.

The reason why u2 never seem to reach their own album deadline is because of $$$$. u2 have enough of it, so they basically don't need to reach anything anymore.

Makes me wonder if their record label contract mentions anything in terms of # of albums in # of years.

Well, one would think that would have been the problem by 1989, plenty of $$$$. As for the record label, I think as of 2014, U2 tells the record label what to do.

I understand those of you that feel bad with these news, and I also understand those that say it was expected. I feel both ways.
What bothers me is Bono saying they are getting Invisible out "to remind people" they exist. Ordinary Love hello? Golden globe and Oscar hello? Oh he meant the people that don't follow every chapter of this crazy reality-show called "when the fuck are you releasing the album" ? Regular folks, nothing like you and I...I get it now.
It's hard being a fan. :sad:

Would be just another nail in the coffin for fans if this happened though. Yet another doctoring and/or delay of the art in an attempt to get casuals to purchase the record while the diehards end up with a release that's less daring and needlessly took longer to come out.

Which is why I feel that if the album gets delayed until Oct./Nov., they bullshitted the entire time and were always planning on Oct/Nov. Which is why I'm saying I'll basically be done with them, if they push it back that long. Says to me that all they care about is my money.

Well, U2 were never an indie band. Plus U2 is a band 36 years into their career. Younger or indie bands may put product out faster because they have to in order to stay alive in the business. I've yet to hear any indie band that even remotely approaches the level of U2.

That makes no sense. Plenty of artists just as old, like The Fall, put out records every single year or something close to that. The band are musicians and have nothing else to do. Even when Bono is out giving tons of speeches or meeting with foreign leaders, he's still unseen in the public eye for most of the surrounding months and such. They have the time but want to dick around and vacation or whatever. It's their own prerogative and I don't fault them at all for doing it, but age has got nothing to do with slower release schedules for bands like U2 or The Stones. They just don't care enough to make records that quickly or even make a record at all.

And this was always a band whose creative process took forever to begin with. They don't write songs so much as stumble upon them. But to say their fame or past success has anything to do with the delays is just ridiculous. U2 is definitely not putting out records that match up with the best of what everyone else out there is doing (and this is especially true if you ask people outside of the blinder parts of their fanbase along with their media lackeys such as Rolling Stone). So let's not pretend that their five year hibernations are giving us the best music of our times.

Nothing is making sense at all. They haven't done anything new for 5 years and they release 2 new songs in 3 months, it means the album is around the corner for 2014. Otherwise I don't see the point. Fuck I miss the 80's with 6 albums in 9 years! Now we are getting 1 album every 5 years....:doh:

Would be just another nail in the coffin for fans if this happened though. Yet another doctoring and/or delay of the art in an attempt to get casuals to purchase the record while the diehards end up with a release that's less daring and needlessly took longer to come out.

Things are not that bad. Remember, the last tour only finished 2.5 years ago. When ZOO TV finished, it took them 3.25 years from that point to put out POP. So in that sense, the band is not behind yet.

And let's pray to whatever deity that U2 doesn't either

A) Mistake the commercial success of this free download as being a signifier of the song's greatness. It would absolutely suck for it to be a middle-of-the-road tune like "Ordinary Love" and then have the band adjust the new album accordingly. Although, if we're being truthful, going for more of an Adult Alternative (i.e. Triple A radio) sound would probably best benefit their sales as it's where they get the most airplay.

or

B) Let an overly critical reaction to the tune make them rethink the rest of the album. Just get on with it already. If "Invisible" isn't part of the next LP, then just consider it a charity single and work on the record that YOU GUYS want to hear. If U2 wasn't so focused on sales and world conquering, we'd have an extra couple albums out already this century and they'd be stuff the band was totally into, even if a lot of material lacked single-ready status.

Things are not that bad. Remember, the last tour only finished 2.5 years ago. When ZOO TV finished, it took them 3.25 years from that point to put out POP. So in that sense, the band is not behind yet.

I can't wait til they enter the phase of their career where they don't need to release an album to tour. Things would happen so much more organically, then, I feel.

But they're already into their 50s, so maybe that'll never happen.

That makes no sense. Plenty of artists just as old, like The Fall, put out records every single year or something close to that. The band are musicians and have nothing else to do. Even when Bono is out giving tons of speeches or meeting with foreign leaders, he's still unseen in the public eye for most of the surrounding months and such. They have the time but want to dick around and vacation or whatever. It's their own prerogative and I don't fault them at all for doing it, but age has got nothing to do with slower release schedules for bands like U2 or The Stones. They just don't care enough to make records that quickly or even make a record at all.

And this was always a band whose creative process took forever to begin with. They don't write songs so much as stumble upon them. But to say their fame or past success has anything to do with the delays is just ridiculous. U2 is definitely not putting out records that match up with the best of what everyone else out there is doing (and this is especially true if you ask people outside of the blinder parts of their fanbase along with their media lackeys such as Rolling Stone). So let's not pretend that their five year hibernations are giving us the best music of our times.

mind reader! :lol:

If U2 wasn't so focused on sales and world conquering, we'd have an extra couple albums out already this century
If U2 wasn't so focused on sales and world conquering, we'd have an extra couple albums out already this century

yeah, but they should shut up about having tons of songs in their pockets. We've heard that speech since 2010!!!! It's all a matter of expectation.

I hope Danger Mouse comes out and slams U2 in the media.

This article leads me to believe that they're scrapping the work completely.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

1) Zoo TV included the launch of a second record.

and

2) The band put out one of their biggest hit singles ("Hold Me...") and what's basically a new U2 record in 1995.

And so many bands complete world tours and then have another new record out a year later. U2 always has some weird habit of literally going into hibernation for 18 months after a tour ends. Think about it throughout their history...post ZOO TV/Pop/Elevation/Vertigo/No Line, there's literally at least 18 months after the tour ends where the band never even went into the studio to start work on a proper album. It's like they always treat themselves to a prolonged vacation afterwards.

And obviously, the last two tours having the health related delays didn't help things any...just dragged both of them out six months to a year longer than had been initially planned. Like I said recently, practically any U2 fan would trade in the last run of Vertigo/No Line shows if it meant they'd have an extra U2 record to listen to until they die. Playing arenas certainly isn't going to help with the next record since it means the tour will take an eternity to play anywhere to capacity. Some areas would require five nights worth of arena shows just to accomplish reaching the amount of eyeballs from one stadium show (and even then, it's less given that a lot of diehards will attend multiple arena shows). It's not the process that a band that likes playing to the most people possible and earning the most money possible while on tour should be undertaking unless they want the tour to needlessly drag on for an extra 6-12 months and not fully accomplish their own goals.

U2 is definitely not putting out records that match up with the best of what everyone else out there is doing (and this is especially true if you ask people outside of the blinder parts of their fanbase along with their media lackeys such as Rolling Stone). So let's not pretend that their five year hibernations are giving us the best music of our times.

Well, if you really like such a large volume of current music better than what U2 is putting out, I certainly would not be spending any time here or wondering when the next U2 release would be. I'm here because I love what U2 is doing and enjoy it more than I do other artist music.

I guess there are older artist that work faster and tour more often than U2. Bruce Springsteen seems to be one. I like Bruce Springsteen, and even like some of his more recent stuff. But for me, he is not on the same level as U2. I enjoy U2's recorded music and live performances much more.

yeah, but they should shut up about having tons of songs in their pockets. We've heard that speech since 2010!!!! It's all a matter of expectation.

Remember when they said they had two albums worth when No Line was released and yet the album included stuff like "Stand Up Comedy" and a spoken word tune? :crack:

Wait, I guess it was a double album since every song started with an extra minute that was unrelated to the rest of the track. I stand corrected.

do you reckon they've lost confidence or something? i mean, this is all getting pretty wild...

Well, if you really like such a large volume of current music better than what U2 is putting out, I certainly would not be spending any time here or wondering when the next U2 release would be. I'm here because I love what U2 is doing and enjoy it more than I do other artist music.

I guess there are older artist that work faster and tour more often than U2. Bruce Springsteen seems to be one. I like Bruce Springsteen, and even like some of his more recent stuff. But for me, he is not on the same level as U2. I enjoy U2's recorded music and live performances much more.
:rolleyes:

haven't even got round to listen to the "teaser" yet - don't actually feel like it now :lol:

Here's and idea, let's be all over the media for a few weeks Golden Globes, Super Bowl, Fallon, Oscars, with nothing to promote, and when it's all over be gone for who the hell knows and release the album. Sounds like the new manager is paying off. Oh, how I miss the days of money bags Mcguinness, at least with him the promotion was predictable. Screw this band.

:lol:

Hold up, why is everyone so sure the album will be delayed now? The last time Bono was interviewed at the Golden Globes, he suggested the album wouldn't be out by June and nobody here believed him...thought he was full of it...now it's time to take him seriously? :scratch:

What am I missing?

U2 is my favorite band after The Beatles. Joshua Tree is my favorite album ever, "Streets" is my favorite song and U2's best tracks do more for me than any other artist. I consider the last two albums to be about an 8 out of 10 and the best songs from HTDAAB ("Vertigo"..."Sometimes"..."City") honestly did more for me than practically anything else that came out in 2004. This is still a very capable, very good band, but they overthink things far too much and are too concerned with playing to the masses. I mean, do you think The Beatles ever actually gave a fuck about that? It just so happened where they were the Seinfeld of their day, putting out the most creative product and it also happened to coincide with what the public at large absolutely craved.

So, as a fan of my favorite active band, I just get annoyed at the five year gaps between new material and a new tour (they are, after all, the best live act of all time). I love their music so much that they annoy and frustrate me to no end with their schedules. I would much rather have a couple of unpolished albums with stuff like "Levitate" and "Native Son" than wait five years for a single new record that's still full of filler. Waiting four years for "One Step Closer" and "Crumbs" or five years for "Stand Up Comedy" is just effin ridiculous.

1) Zoo TV included the launch of a second record.

and

2) The band put out one of their biggest hit singles ("Hold Me...") and what's basically a new U2 record in 1995.

And so many bands complete world tours and then have another new record out a year later. U2 always has some weird habit of literally going into hibernation for 18 months after a tour ends. Think about it throughout their history...post ZOO TV/Pop/Elevation/Vertigo/No Line, there's literally at least 18 months after the tour ends where the band never even went into the studio to start work on a proper album. It's like they always treat themselves to a prolonged vacation afterwards.

And obviously, the last two tours having the health related delays didn't help things any...just dragged both of them out six months to a year longer than had been initially planned. Like I said recently, practically any U2 fan would trade in the last run of Vertigo/No Line shows if it meant they'd have an extra U2 record to listen to until they die. Playing arenas certainly isn't going to help with the next record since it means the tour will take an eternity to play anywhere to capacity. Some areas would require five nights worth of arena shows just to accomplish reaching the amount of eyeballs from one stadium show (and even then, it's less given that a lot of diehards will attend multiple arena shows). It's not the process that a band that likes playing to the most people possible and earning the most money possible while on tour should be undertaking unless they want the tour to needlessly drag on for an extra 6-12 months and not fully accomplish their own goals.

No, my start line is when ZOO TV ended on December 10, 1993. At that point the tour was over and the Zooropa album had already been in stores for six months. They were done with everything and had no work booked at all at that point.
From that point, it took 3 years and 3 months to release POP. We won't be at a similar point to when POP was released vs the end of the last tour, until November 2014.

I believe HMTMKMKM was recorded before the end of the ZOO TV tour, but I'm not sure. Not released until summer of 1995 though. A good song to say we still exist.
POP was supposed to be September 1996. I remember how disappointed I was when I learned in August 1996 that it wouldn't be out until some time in 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom