Lovetown voice moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
You might get shock when you read this :) But I have opend up an intressting for Lovetown, Bono's voice was special.

Those who know my posts on this forum know that I don't like his voice that much on that tour. I still think he had problem hitting some notes(like wide awake on Bad), that he had a much more wider voice and was more stable on JT tour. But the thing that was amazing is how much he gives on that tour, he had lot of energy, he screams a lot. And sometimes it sounds realy amazing.

Im looking for high keys from this tour, it can be just one line on a song or more.

I found a amazing thing on 1989-10-20 - Bad when he sings All I Want Is Yooooouuuuuuuuuuuu", he holds it for a couple a seconds. It begins just after 1:50 in the song, here is the file:

www.send space.com/file/3axcw8

Another "All I waaaaaaaaant is you" scream in Bad, Rotterdam 1990/1/10:

www.save file.com/files/650809

It's at about 4:55, but pretty much everything from 4:45 to 5:20 is amazing.

Allanah said:
Another "All I waaaaaaaaant is you" scream in Bad, Rotterdam 1990/1/10:

www.save file.com/files/650809

It's at about 4:55, but pretty much everything from 4:45 to 5:20 is amazing.

Thanks, that was good :) Keep continie posting :)

I think Bono's Lovetown voice was exceptional, you can see the development throughout the eighties, every tour his voice is becoming better and better, but it's also constantly changing, always evolving into something else, finally reaching it's natural peak with Lovetown. Maybe he didn't hold the high notes for as long but I just like the overall tone and quality of his voice so much during this tour, it had real warmth, richness and depth, clear as a bell, there's so much clarity to it, something he has never completely recaptured. He was such an energetic frontman throughout this decade, he couldn't keep still, all over the stage, like you say he had so much to give, he was such a demonstrative singer, desperate to connect with the audience at all costs, to make that emotional bond, he poured his heart and soul into those performances, something which changed slightly with Zoo TV and onwards, he became a little more aloof, wanting to keep something back for himself and quite rightly too. He was such an explosive singer during this tour, so much raw power and emotion, he could have blown the audience out the stadium, a microphone was virtually optional for him his voice was so loud.

Anyway there are numerous great moments from Lovetown, I'm terrible with links and you've all got the boots anyway but I will point out All I Want Is You on December 1st 1989 Osaka, he really goes all out here (as he does all night) and really charges up the performance, it ends only to start up all over again, bringing it to an even bigger climax.

DevilsShoes said:
I think Bono's Lovetown voice was exceptional, you can see the development throughout the eighties, every tour his voice is becoming better and better, but it's also constantly changing, always evolving into something else, finally reaching it's natural peak with Lovetown. Maybe he didn't hold the high notes for as long but I just like the overall tone and quality of his voice so much during this tour, it had real warmth, richness and depth, clear as a bell, there's so much clarity to it, something he has never completely recaptured. He was such an energetic frontman throughout this decade, he couldn't keep still, all over the stage, like you say he had so much to give, he was such a demonstrative singer, desperate to connect with the audience at all costs, to make that emotional bond, he poured his heart and soul into those performances, something which changed slightly with Zoo TV and onwards, he became a little more aloof, wanting to keep something back for himself and quite rightly too. He was such an explosive singer during this tour, so much raw power and emotion, he could have blown the audience out the stadium, a microphone was virtually optional for him his voice was so loud.

Anyway there are numerous great moments from Lovetown, I'm terrible with links and you've all got the boots anyway but I will point out All I Want Is You on December 1st 1989 Osaka, he really goes all out here (as he does all night) and really charges up the performance, it ends only to start up all over again, bringing it to an even bigger climax.

He realy got the energy, I can take that he couldn SING like he did on JT tour, that he had problems hitting notes, that it was a lot of shaky and sang eeh a eehh after lines, hoarse sound... But the energy and emotion he had on that tour was amazing. I think Bono where a bit frustrated when he knew that he could push alot, but the throat doctor said that stop singing like this, you will destroy your voice if you contunie like that. Must me desturbing when you know that you can show what you can do but in a prize. And his voice realy went different after.

5th leg of Vertigo reminds me a bit of Lovetown. He gave much more on that leg then the other four legs. He had a lof of energy.
I realy hopes that he can contuine to improve. Less talking, drinkin, stop smoking, lost wieght, be better in his back and I think we can hear more intressting things. The way he sang Don't give up live on Operah, well imaganie him use that force on ISHFWILF, that would blow away the studio verison. Or use that force on Night and Day :drool:

I think he still got more to do on his voice.

Peterrrrr said:

Must me desturbing when you know that you can show what you can do but in a prize. And his voice realy went different after.

I know, its always confused me how rapidly his voice changed after Lovetown, this tour and Zoo Tv are only about 18 months apart you know and yet he sounds very different. What happened during this short time will always be a mystery.

DevilsShoes said:

I know, its always confused me how rapidly his voice changed after Lovetown, this tour and Zoo Tv are only about 18 months apart you know and yet he sounds very different. What happened during this short time will always be a mystery.

Well the voice took damage from Lovetown, he started to smoke more. For a while ago I saw an interview from 91 or 92, and you realy heard his smoking hoarse sound in his voice that he hadnt in 89/90. But I think Bono didnt give his all on ZooTV, I think he listend to what the throat doctor said tom him. He started to sing lower. But he had power, he managed to hit "Wide Awake" alot of times, wich he didnt do on LT. All "come on love"(MW), Take Me Higher(non-falsetto), Love Love Love(UTEOTW), Halelujah(RTSS) and all falsettos proved that his voice was very strong. the 93 shows he went weaker. But his 92 voice was very strong.

Last edited:
Peterrrrr said:

Well the voice took damage from Lovetown, he started to smoke more. For a while ago I saw an interview from 91 or 92, and you realy heard his smoking hoarse sound in his voice that he hadnt in 89/90.

So that interview was between Lovetown and Zoo Tv then? The problem was that Bono started to like the way his voice sounded through smoking. It was a silly decision because while he could get away with it for a while, it did long term damage. I often wonder how his voice would have devloped naturally had he not started to smoke.

You're right that he hit the Wide Awakes quite a few times on Zoo TV, more times than I realised, I always used to think that he always used the flasetto, but it depended on the night and how strong his voice was.

By the way Peterrr, have you heard Cleveland 92, do you know if Bono belted out the Wide Awake in Bad or if he used his falsetto. I've been trying to download it from u2start but it just doesn't work. :(

DevilsShoes said:

So that interview was between Lovetown and Zoo Tv then? The problem was that Bono started to like the way his voice sounded through smoking. It was a silly decision because while he could get away with it for a while, it did long term damage. I often wonder how his voice would have devloped naturally had he not started to smoke.

You're right that he hit the Wide Awakes quite a few times on Zoo TV, more times than I realised, I always used to think that he always used the flasetto, but it depended on the night and how strong his voice was.

By the way Peterrr, have you heard Cleveland 92, do you know if Bono belted out the Wide Awake in Bad or if he used his falsetto. I've been trying to download it from u2start but it just doesn't work. :(

Im not on my U2 computer right now :( But I think I have that show, I can upload it later.

If he hadnt start to smoke(wich I think he started to do in 84), you can realy hear smoking effect his voice on JT, there werent many time on JT when he hit the Wide Awak Part. Just compare 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford show wich is only one year earlier then JT tour, he is much stronger then. Just compare SBS, Pride, Bad from that show to all JT/LT versions. That show versions blows away all JT/LT versions. He had probelms on both JT/LT tour.

What most people don't realise is how good his voice is now, there are no other tour then Vertigo tour where he:

- hold a lot of notes form 5-11 seconds(touch, sing, l'amoure...)

- when he hit the high note "don't you look back" in WGRYWH(he sang the verse on ZooTV, but never that high)

- when he holds Wide Awake for seconds

-when he holds the Pride chourse

- Mercy, Native Son("Free"), "Feel"(Vertigo) is also other good examples on how good he is on hitting high notes right now.

- The falsetto is back also, just listen to WITS, Highway to hell snippet on Vertigo(2006-11-18), "Child" on MW(2006-11-18). And these two from 2006-11-18 had the sound from ZooTV wich proves that he is able to sing falsetto with the sound that he had on ZooTV. I think that he just don't use it often because to much falsettos will damage your voice.

Last edited:
Peterrrrr said:

Im not on my U2 computer right now :( But I think I have that show, I can upload it later.

The falsetto is back also, just listen to WITS, Highway to hell snippet on Vertigo(2006-11-18), "Child" on MW(2006-11-18). And these two from 2006-11-18 had the sound from ZooTV wich proves that he is able to sing falsetto with the sound that he had on ZooTV. I think that he just don't use it often because to much falsettos will damage your voice.

If he belts it out I'd love to hear it.

I actually never thought that the falsetto did that much damage to the voice, he used it so much on Zoo Tv because he found it easier to do that than actually scream out the high notes, he probably thought he was protecting his voice, but was actually doing the opposite. Like you say he's got it back to a degree but it's less reliable these days and he doesn't overdo it.

DevilsShoes said:

If he belts it out I'd love to hear it.

I actually never thought that the falsetto did that much damage to the voice, he used it so much on Zoo Tv because he found it easier to do that than actually scream out the high notes, he probably thought he was protecting his voice, but was actually doing the opposite. Like you say he's got it back to a degree but it's less reliable these days and he doesn't overdo it.

I think he was unsure if he was able to hit for an example Wide Awake and played safe, so he used the falsetto. It is much easier that way. Wide Awak is very difficult note to hit, just look at the Bad music video, he put his hand on his chest while he try to hit the note, just like it hurts when he is trying to hit the note.

Peterrrrr said:

I think he was unsure if he was able to hit for an example Wide Awake and played safe, so he used the falsetto. It is much easier that way. Wide Awak is very difficult note to hit, just look at the Bad music video, he put his hand on his chest while he try to hit the note, just like it hurts when he is trying to hit the note.

Oh definitely very hard to hit, he's always struggled with it and yet some nights it's like there's no limit to his voice, just look at the Wide Awake In America version, its like there's no top to it, he was really flying as a singer.

Incidentally what did you think of his voice on Popmart, it's one of the strangest era's because it's so variable, some night he was brilliant but other nights he was really struggling. I can't believe its the same man on Rotterdam 97 than on Mexico 98 (he's seems to find that show particuarly difficult).

DevilsShoes said:

Oh definitely very hard to hit, he's always struggled with it and yet some nights it's like there's no limit to his voice, just look at the Wide Awake In America version, its like there's no top to it, he was really flying as a singer.

Incidentally what did you think of his voice on Popmart, it's one of the strangest era's because it's so variable, some night he was brilliant but other nights he was really struggling. I can't believe its the same man on Rotterdam 97 than on Mexico 98 (he's seems to find that show particuarly difficult).

Popmart is very special, like you said Rotterdam is fantastic. Also the Las Vegas show(the first night) he was also very strong in his voice, just listen to Pride, when he gives his all. I have a better soundboard version on Mexico then the official one, where you can hear his voice much stronger. NYD on that night was amazing he sings the "say it's true" verse very strong. His falsetto was also strong that tour. But after Sarajevo hsi voice went weaker and contnuined to sound like that rest of the tour. Then in 98 he had a surgey. Then his voice went very low and hoarse.

But one period where his voice was very strong and had a very unique sound was between 94-96. TSOHOSOS, The Cross, Tomorrow(96 version), One(Modena 95). His voice was a little bit shaky but very strong. Then one year later(97) his voice went much weaker.

After Elavtion tour something happend, the first good example on that was Electrical Storm. Then on all the 2003 live performences you heard that his voice was very shaky but stronger and cleaner. It was like he just got a new voice but he hadnt figure out how to handle it and thats was the reason why it went shaky. :)

I always really liked the Popmart versions of NYD, they had a real energy about them, the band played them very well, and yeah the Mexico version of this is definitely a stand out, I also really enjoy the Santiago 98 performance, his voice is much smoother and more melodic that night although not all that powerful, the rendition of Bad is very good for the time and the circumstances though.

That 94-96 era gets overlooked alot, but he did some good stuff here, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me and like you said 2 shots of happy, great song, some of Bono's best ever lyrics.

Here's a great performance of One Tree Hill from 26 December 1989 (this version is also known as "Axvers wet dream"). The outro is simply mindblowing, one of best Bono's improvisations. If you haven't heard it yet, check it out!

http://download.you send it.com/D547148574B9A5D5

Last edited:
DevilsShoes said:
I always really liked the Popmart versions of NYD, they had a real energy about them, the band played them very well, and yeah the Mexico version of this is definitely a stand out, I also really enjoy the Santiago 98 performance, his voice is much smoother and more melodic that night although not all that powerful, the rendition of Bad is very good for the time and the circumstances though.

That 94-96 era gets overlooked alot, but he did some good stuff here, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me and like you said 2 shots of happy, great song, some of Bono's best ever lyrics.

Bad was one of the highlights on that tour, well Bad is that one every tour :)

Anyone here got any other high key note moment from Lovetown?

Last edited:
omg /me saves topic to favourites. :wink:

Which rotterdam night in popmart is his voice really good?

I also think the Leeds Popmart concert is amazing, he has a fantastic voice. It's strange because quite a few shows before that he had a really weak voice then for some reason in the leeds concert it's like he somehow got this super voice.:drool:

Last edited:
Its the July 18th 97 night where his voice is really good U2opra, its like a different man. :)

I know what you mean about the Leeds night, his voice was so changeable on this tour, some nights he was on fire but others he really struggled, who knows what was going on?

Zooropean103 said:
Here's a great performance of One Tree Hill from 26 December 1989 (this version is also known as "Axvers wet dream"). The outro is simply mindblowing, one of best Bono's improvisations. If you haven't heard it yet, check it out!

http://download.you send it.com/D547148574B9A5D5

That one is a classic., but my favorite version of that song is 2006-11-30 - Tokyo. I think his Vertigo voice fits the song more.

God Part 2 from the Syndey is another classic(the pro shot one).

Anyone knwo wich month in 1990 Night And Day was recorded in? And wich month Wild Irish Rose was recorded in 1989?

Peter list all the best performances you consider from U2 with Bono having a great voice. I would love to add some to my collection.:drool:

U2opra said:
Peter list all the best performances you consider from U2 with Bono having a great voice. I would love to add some to my collection.:drool:

Well Im not home right now, but here's one list from my head:

Live:

1983 war boston tapes
New Years Day(scream in the beginning of the song)

1984-11-21 - Dortmund
Elctrical Co - amzing grace snippet

1986-06-06 - Los Angeles
New Years Day - Whole song

1986-06-15 - East Rutherford
Bad - whole song
Sbs - Whole song
Pride - Whole song
Help! - one verse(don't remember wich word)

I have a very good sound version of this show, I upload this one later tonight to you :)

Wild Irish Rose - whole song

1989 - Austraila (don't know the date)
God Part II

1989-10-20
Scream in Bad

1989-12-26 - Dublin
Falsetto scream in the end of streets

Night And Day - Whole song, the falsetto scream at the end on the song is amazing.

1992-02-29 - Lakeland
EBTTRT - Take me higher just before that line he gives his all

1992-06-15 - Rotterdam
MW - End of song screaming falsetto

1992-08-16 - WC
SBS - whole song
Bad - whole song

The Cross with prince - whole song
Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad - Whole song
One - Modena - Whole song

1997 - Las Veags Opening Night
Pride - Bono gives his all in the chours

1997 Mexico
New Years Day - Say it's true... line.(but this is from another soundboard recording wich you can hear Bono stronger, not the official video recodring, I upload it to you later)

2003 - Feb
Night And Day - Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight in the end of the song

Hands That Built America - Oscar Academy- Opera part

2004 Brooklyn Bridge
IFW - He sings it amazing in this version
She's A Mystery To Me - Whole song

2005 Chigago And Toronto
Discotheque - Whole song

2005-09-14 - Toronto
Bad - Whole song

2005 Boston( don't remember wich night)
SYCMIOYO - Sing in 8 sec

2005 Boston( don't remember wich night)
Bad(whole, he holds the wide awake for long)

Vertigo - Rock N Roll Nigga, he gives his all

2006-11-18
Vertigo - Highway To Hell snippet
MW - word :Child falsetto

All the touch on Bd(don't remember wich one that was longest)

Well I got alot more from ZooTV and Vertigo tour, I will give you more specific information on these on this list later. And add some intressting rare songs wich have some intressting notes.

Night And Day - Whole song, the falsetto scream at the end on the song is amazing.

Peterrrr , would you upload the 1990 Night & Day ?
I have the Music Cares N&D from the point where Bono says "Where is The Edge ?" Bono's voice is amazing . :drool:

Another one, "40," from 1/10/90. There's some gorgeous ad-libbing/screaming from 3:25 to 4:05. And some interesting guitar work from Adam, too!

http://www.save file.com/files/778254

It's the very last song of the Lovetown tour. Next up for U2: go insane, make Achtung Baby, and conquer the world. And neglect to ever play Acrobat live, those bastards. :wink:

U2opra said:

u2trinity said:
Peterrrr , would you upload the 1990 Night & Day ?
I have the Music Cares N&D from the point where Bono says "Where is The Edge ?" Bono's voice is amazing . :drool:

Here you got some voice stuff, also included Night & Day

http://www. .com/file/51pq6m

Peterrrrr said:

Live:

1986-06-06 - Los Angeles

Do you have some good recording of this version??, because the one which is on bootleg from U2start is in bad quality and I can't enjoy his voice:wink:

1992-02-29 - Lakeland
EBTTRT - Take me higher just before that line he gives his all

And what about this version, from Sarajevo...
http://www. .com/files/762773 ( s a v e f i l e )

U2lunatic said:
Peterrrrr said:

Live:

1986-06-06 - Los Angeles

There is a video pro shot of it :)

Another lovetown moment is in the end of WTSHNN(1989-12-26) when he do an amazing high falsetto.

Peterrrrr said:

There is a video pro shot of it :)

I must download it from U2torrents, even if my downloading speed sucks:der: It will last for about 26 hours

Back
Top Bottom