Lovetown Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
On the 12/26 Point Depot version of Gloria Bono introduces the 'band', he says "on bass guitar, Tony O'Reilly, on the guitar Michael Smurfett, and Barry Maguiggle on the drums"

Is that a joke? What was going on there?

Bono has sometimes introduced the band under false names. I believe one instance, they were people famous at the time and/or in the area, and other times, they were assumed names the band would use in hotels.

Not sure which was the case in this instance, or if Bono used a third set of fake names.

Bono does stuff like that all the time. I'm pretty sure he was the one that came up with the Daltons. He's a bit of a weirdo heh

Axver said:
Bono has sometimes introduced the band under false names. I believe one instance, they were people famous at the time and/or in the area, and other times, they were assumed names the band would use in hotels.

Correct.

Tony O'Reilly and Michael Smurfit were at the time, and still are, wealthy Irish businessmen. Barry McGuigan was an Irish boxer who at that time I think held one of the top titles in boxing.

The home audience would have understood the references, but most people not from Ireland probably would have wondered what he was on about, although Tony O'Reilly has since become fairly well known through his newspaper acquisitions throughout the world.

It's just Bono being funny, basically.

On a somewhat related issue, introducing a song on the same concert, he refers to 'A J Rankin'. Now I think that Bono's mother's maiden name was Rankin, so I think he is referring to his grandmother or grandfather here, though I'm not sure.

There's also a bit where the crowd are singing 'We're on the way to Italy' which refers to Ireland's qualification for the soccer world cup for the first time, the World Cup was held in 1990 in Italy.

Last edited:
lol, thanx, and I figured Ax would be jumping all over the thread to answer:wink:

I remember reading about them checking into hotels with fake names, like on U2 At the End of the World, they almost checked in as the Monkees, but Larry didn't want to be Mickey Dolenz, lol

financeguy said:

On a somewhat related issue, introducing a song on the same concert, he refers to 'A J Rankin'. Now I think that Bono's mother's maiden name was Rankin, so I think he is referring to his grandmother or grandfather here, though I'm not sure.

There's an A J Rankin who is Bono's cousin who works as his "offstage assistant" during the shows since the Joshua Tree tour. There was a bio on him over on U2.com awhile ago.

That's the only name I recognized though.:wink:

I'd heard of the other 2, but not Michael Smurfit. I didn't know you could be a major businessman in Ireland with the name of a small blue cartoon character. :wink:

Smurf #1: Hey, did you have a good time last night?
Smurf #2: Smurf-tacular!
Smurf #1: Yeah, I saw you leave with Smurfette.
Smurf #2: Oh man, as soon as we got out of the bar, she started smurfing me.
Smurf #1: Shut the Smurf up!
Smurf #2: Yeah!
Smurf #1: Right in the Smurfing parking lot?
Smurf #2: Smurf-Yeah!
Smurf #1: Oh! That is freaking Smurf!

LemonMacPhisto said:
On the 12/26 Point Depot version of Gloria Bono introduces the 'band', he says "on bass guitar, Tony O'Reilly, on the guitar Michael Smurfett, and Barry Maguiggle on the drums"

Is that a joke?

No, of course not. That's in fact their real names.................:|

typhoon said:
Smurf #1: Hey, did you have a good time last night?
Smurf #2: Smurf-tacular!
Smurf #1: Yeah, I saw you leave with Smurfette.
Smurf #2: Oh man, as soon as we got out of the bar, she started smurfing me.
Smurf #1: Shut the Smurf up!
Smurf #2: Yeah!
Smurf #1: Right in the Smurfing parking lot?
Smurf #2: Smurf-Yeah!
Smurf #1: Oh! That is freaking Smurf!

Family Guy is the smurfing best

Back
Top Bottom