Love Rescue Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lemon because Bono might have a bit of trouble singing it would be my first guess. And it's from a pretty unpopular album by U2 standards and the casual fans would get bored. Dorks.

I actually like Love Rescue Me. The last minute or so is just GREAT.

Ya, lemon cause of singing, namely the falsetto.

The studio version of Love Rescue Me's pretty subpar, but the live version, particually the ones with BB KING were bastions of soul, country and blues guitar playing. Thats why I wonder

jumpmanst said:
How come this isn't played live anymore?

Because it didn't work terribly well even on Lovetown?

It's usually the only song I skip on Lovetown bootlegs.

I happen to like this song. Its songs lke this that make u2 the great band they are.
I think the reason its not played is that it is half where to nowhere regarding fitting in with any other songs and would be a nightmare fitting into modern set lists.

shart1780 said:
Lemon because Bono might have a bit of trouble singing it would be my first guess. And it's from a pretty unpopular album by U2 standards and the casual fans would get bored. Dorks.

I actually like Love Rescue Me. The last minute or so is just GREAT.

I think Bono could sing that one right now, for sure.

Why would Bono have trouble singing Lemon? It's mostly falsetto.

If one of them had to be played live, I'd choose Love Rescue Me b/c I like singing along. Lemon live would be a disappointment for me :reject:, but in either case I'd wonder why they were not playing something like One Tree Hill, Like A Song, Unforgettable Fire, etc...

I LOVE this track and have been listening 2 it constantly lately.... I think the Lovetown per4mances r gr8, and it could make a good closer of the main set.

Well I doubt it's the same reason...LRM isn't played because U2 insist on ignoring the R&H album, other than the occasional half-assed weak version of Desire where B probably botches the lyrics.

The reason they don't play Lemon is because it's f*cking terrible, worst song in the U2 catalog without question. I'd rather they played Red Lightx18 and a few Britney Spears covers at my next U2 show than Lemon.

And yeah studio LRM is pretty blah, but I like the Lovetown tour version.

Liesje said:
Why would Bono have trouble singing Lemon? It's mostly falsetto.

If one of them had to be played live, I'd choose Love Rescue Me b/c I like singing along. Lemon live would be a disappointment for me :reject:, but in either case I'd wonder why they were not playing something like One Tree Hill, Like A Song, Unforgettable Fire, etc...

Well they palyed OTH on the 5th leg of Vertigo tour :)

Re: Re: Love Rescue Me?

Axver said:

Because it didn't work terribly well even on Lovetown?

It's usually the only song I skip on Lovetown bootlegs.

Agreed, but it's still not their worst song by a long shot.

What makes this song stand out to me is Bob Dylan's backing vocals. Even then it's not a song I love, but without Dylan it's probably mediocre at best.

I really don't know why they don't play it anymore, maybe because it's too slow. Nonetheles it's an amazing song, one of my very favorites. Amazing vocals and mighty powerfull lyrics. It was even better live in my opinion with Bono's screaming, great female backing vocals and B.B. King just soloing away. I love that song's melodie. The entire song has a whole lotta soul but the ending is fantastic! I loved that Bono sang a part of it at the end of the São Paulo show, maybe they were thinking of bringing it back. Too bad they didn't.

LRM is one of the finest from that era...

But U2 really isn't one for pulling out older songs that casual fans wouldn't know. This tour had the exception of some of the Boy songs, which was a suprise.

I never really thought Lemon worked live. Don't miss it one bit.

CTU2fan said:
Well I doubt it's the same reason...LRM isn't played because U2 insist on ignoring the R&H album, other than the occasional half-assed weak version of Desire where B probably botches the lyrics.

The reason they don't play Lemon is because it's f*cking terrible, worst song in the U2 catalog without question. I'd rather they played Red Lightx18 and a few Britney Spears covers at my next U2 show than Lemon.

OMG!!! Curse you!!

CTU2fan said:

Huh? They still play Angel of Harlem and All I Want Is You live; I wouldn't consider that ignoring the album.

I think LRM isn't played live because:

(1) It doesn't really work without a horn section behind it.
(2) The screamy high notes at the end -- I think Bono's voice is at a point where he could sing like that again, but it would wreck his voice if he did it on a nightly basis.
(3) It's a pretty song with great lyrics, but nowhere near the most exciting in their catalogue. Or even on R&H. There are at least five other songs from that album that I'd rather hear live than LRM.
(4) It's not very well-known. That sucks, but there you go.

It's a beautiful tune – with a fine melody, fine lyrics (some credits should be here given to Bob Dylan). The band didn't ignore the album since the LOVETOWN days '89/'90. In other words:
- "Desire": This rocker has been played throughout nearly all (!) of the ZOO TV years in '92/'93. It even got a few acoustic, impromptu outings during '97/'98. In '01 it became a full band, bluesy, more dirty sounding highlight with all of the four performing it on the B-stage – with the highlight being the perfect Cologne-Medley including "Hawkmoon 269" & "Running To Stand Still". And the last tour saw the renaissance of the full band rocker on the last leg.
- "Van Diemen's Land": Being no single of the album, it has always been a rarity since. There were a few outings of The Edge performing this beautiful, classic sounding folk ballad with Rome '93 being the last one so far.
- "Angel Of Harlem" belongs to the Greatest Hits, u2 pull out here and there. On the ZOO TV B-stages it was one of the acoustic highlights, often being enriched by excellent snippets. Neglected during te too steady POPMART setlists, it got a full electric comeback in '01, especially during the 3rd leg. But the most impressive prformances might be the youngest ones with Bono playing harp in '06.
- "When Love Comes To Town" was a ZOO TV staple and hasn't been played ever since. Still has to be rediscovered, I guess.
- "All I Want Is You" has been in all (!) U2's sets for all of the subsequent tours.
... and there was even a short outing for "Love Rescue Me" during the last tour. So forget the nonsense with U2 ignoring the album, folks!

this is one I'll be crossing my fingers and hoping to see live someday.

I was excited when they did a snippet of it in Sao Paulo, I remember that setlist party well :rockon:

At least we know they still remember the song exists, next time they tour I'll be hoping against hope they dust it off and give it a new arrangement.

:heart: Love Rescue Me :heart:

Allanah said:

Huh? They still play Angel of Harlem and All I Want Is You live; I wouldn't consider that ignoring the album.

I think LRM isn't played live because:

(1) It doesn't really work without a horn section behind it.
(2) The screamy high notes at the end -- I think Bono's voice is at a point where he could sing like that again, but it would wreck his voice if he did it on a nightly basis.
(3) It's a pretty song with great lyrics, but nowhere near the most exciting in their catalogue. Or even on R&H. There are at least five other songs from that album that I'd rather hear live than LRM.
(4) It's not very well-known. That sucks, but there you go.

I think you probably pretty much nailed it here...I just couldn't resist my gratuitous bit of Lemon-bashing up-thread. I couldn't really see it without the horns unless it was just stripped-down acoustic, and yeah it would have to be once or twice because the end would sure trash B's vocals for weeks.

I've been out of it since the end of the vertigo tour. There seems to be an general concensus that Bono's vocals have improved.

Is this true?

Re: Re: Love Rescue Me?

Screwtape2 said:

Too many lyrics for Bono to remember or even partially remember as is often the case.

:lol:

Best answer in the thread.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
What makes this song stand out to me is Bob Dylan's backing vocals. Even then it's not a song I love, but without Dylan it's probably mediocre at best.

:up:

It's probably one of the reasons they were lambasted for that album.

"They think they're so big that Bob Dylan is doing backup vocals for an okay song"

I still don't know what to make of Rattle and Hum, was it really an attempt to ingratiate themselves as members of that elite rock pantheon, or pay a tribute to all of them. It all came too fast and too soon to tell, at least to me.

The studio stuff from RAH was very good.

Unfortunately, they looked at the live stuff from the movie, and picked the worst songs to put on the album (exception: BTBS).

I mean:

Exit
WOWY
Streets
RTSS

all would be better than:

Helter Skelter
AATW
Still Haven't Found
Silver and Gold

That's my big beef.

Back