Love Rescue Me? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Love Rescue Me?

How come this isn't played live anymore?

Same reason as lemon?

Old 07-09-2007, 01:32 AM   #2
45:33

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Maybe because it's a pretty damn average track

What's the reason for Lemon?

Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Lemon because Bono might have a bit of trouble singing it would be my first guess. And it's from a pretty unpopular album by U2 standards and the casual fans would get bored. Dorks.

I actually like Love Rescue Me. The last minute or so is just GREAT.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #4
The Fly

Ya, lemon cause of singing, namely the falsetto.

The studio version of Love Rescue Me's pretty subpar, but the live version, particually the ones with BB KING were bastions of soul, country and blues guitar playing. Thats why I wonder
Old 07-09-2007, 03:59 AM   #5
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Re: Love Rescue Me?

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmanst
How come this isn't played live anymore?
Because it didn't work terribly well even on Lovetown?

It's usually the only song I skip on Lovetown bootlegs.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-09-2007, 04:14 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:25 AM
The song is one of U2's worst...
Old 07-09-2007, 04:29 AM   #7
New Yorker

I happen to like this song. Its songs lke this that make u2 the great band they are.
I think the reason its not played is that it is half where to nowhere regarding fitting in with any other songs and would be a nightmare fitting into modern set lists.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #8
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Lemon because Bono might have a bit of trouble singing it would be my first guess. And it's from a pretty unpopular album by U2 standards and the casual fans would get bored. Dorks.

I actually like Love Rescue Me. The last minute or so is just GREAT.
I think Bono could sing that one right now, for sure.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Why would Bono have trouble singing Lemon? It's mostly falsetto.

If one of them had to be played live, I'd choose Love Rescue Me b/c I like singing along. Lemon live would be a disappointment for me , but in either case I'd wonder why they were not playing something like One Tree Hill, Like A Song, Unforgettable Fire, etc...
Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:25 PM
I LOVE this track and have been listening 2 it constantly lately.... I think the Lovetown per4mances r gr8, and it could make a good closer of the main set.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well I doubt it's the same reason...LRM isn't played because U2 insist on ignoring the R&H album, other than the occasional half-assed weak version of Desire where B probably botches the lyrics.

The reason they don't play Lemon is because it's f*cking terrible, worst song in the U2 catalog without question. I'd rather they played Red Lightx18 and a few Britney Spears covers at my next U2 show than Lemon.

And yeah studio LRM is pretty blah, but I like the Lovetown tour version.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #12
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Why would Bono have trouble singing Lemon? It's mostly falsetto.

If one of them had to be played live, I'd choose Love Rescue Me b/c I like singing along. Lemon live would be a disappointment for me , but in either case I'd wonder why they were not playing something like One Tree Hill, Like A Song, Unforgettable Fire, etc...
Well they palyed OTH on the 5th leg of Vertigo tour
Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Love Rescue Me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Because it didn't work terribly well even on Lovetown?

It's usually the only song I skip on Lovetown bootlegs.
Agreed, but it's still not their worst song by a long shot.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What makes this song stand out to me is Bob Dylan's backing vocals. Even then it's not a song I love, but without Dylan it's probably mediocre at best.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:25 PM
I really don't know why they don't play it anymore, maybe because it's too slow. Nonetheles it's an amazing song, one of my very favorites. Amazing vocals and mighty powerfull lyrics. It was even better live in my opinion with Bono's screaming, great female backing vocals and B.B. King just soloing away. I love that song's melodie. The entire song has a whole lotta soul but the ending is fantastic! I loved that Bono sang a part of it at the end of the São Paulo show, maybe they were thinking of bringing it back. Too bad they didn't.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:25 PM
LRM is one of the finest from that era...

But U2 really isn't one for pulling out older songs that casual fans wouldn't know. This tour had the exception of some of the Boy songs, which was a suprise.

I never really thought Lemon worked live. Don't miss it one bit.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
Well I doubt it's the same reason...LRM isn't played because U2 insist on ignoring the R&H album, other than the occasional half-assed weak version of Desire where B probably botches the lyrics.

The reason they don't play Lemon is because it's f*cking terrible, worst song in the U2 catalog without question. I'd rather they played Red Lightx18 and a few Britney Spears covers at my next U2 show than Lemon.

OMG!!! Curse you!!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #18
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

Huh? They still play Angel of Harlem and All I Want Is You live; I wouldn't consider that ignoring the album.

I think LRM isn't played live because:

(1) It doesn't really work without a horn section behind it.
(2) The screamy high notes at the end -- I think Bono's voice is at a point where he could sing like that again, but it would wreck his voice if he did it on a nightly basis.
(3) It's a pretty song with great lyrics, but nowhere near the most exciting in their catalogue. Or even on R&H. There are at least five other songs from that album that I'd rather hear live than LRM.
(4) It's not very well-known. That sucks, but there you go.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 10:25 PM
It's a beautiful tune – with a fine melody, fine lyrics (some credits should be here given to Bob Dylan). The band didn't ignore the album since the LOVETOWN days '89/'90. In other words:
- "Desire": This rocker has been played throughout nearly all (!) of the ZOO TV years in '92/'93. It even got a few acoustic, impromptu outings during '97/'98. In '01 it became a full band, bluesy, more dirty sounding highlight with all of the four performing it on the B-stage – with the highlight being the perfect Cologne-Medley including "Hawkmoon 269" & "Running To Stand Still". And the last tour saw the renaissance of the full band rocker on the last leg.
- "Van Diemen's Land": Being no single of the album, it has always been a rarity since. There were a few outings of The Edge performing this beautiful, classic sounding folk ballad with Rome '93 being the last one so far.
- "Angel Of Harlem" belongs to the Greatest Hits, u2 pull out here and there. On the ZOO TV B-stages it was one of the acoustic highlights, often being enriched by excellent snippets. Neglected during te too steady POPMART setlists, it got a full electric comeback in '01, especially during the 3rd leg. But the most impressive prformances might be the youngest ones with Bono playing harp in '06.
- "When Love Comes To Town" was a ZOO TV staple and hasn't been played ever since. Still has to be rediscovered, I guess.
- "All I Want Is You" has been in all (!) U2's sets for all of the subsequent tours.
... and there was even a short outing for "Love Rescue Me" during the last tour. So forget the nonsense with U2 ignoring the album, folks!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:25 PM
this is one I'll be crossing my fingers and hoping to see live someday.

I was excited when they did a snippet of it in Sao Paulo, I remember that setlist party well

At least we know they still remember the song exists, next time they tour I'll be hoping against hope they dust it off and give it a new arrangement.

Love Rescue Me