Love is Blindness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissZooropa

Refugee
What do you think it's about?

I have been so sure up until now what I've thought about this song but when someone pointed out a totally different interpretetion it somehow made so much more sense.

So what do you think? I will explain my new found ideas and thoughts later on when I get some of your thoughts.
smile.gif

i've always seen it as the thoughts of a terrorist who 'loves' their country. i can't remember the lyrics that make me think that tho, great song. im tired.

It's about how Bono loves to be blindfolded in the PLEBA mansion LOL!
wink.gif

I did hear it was about some car bomber.

------------------
~*"I DO go on, don't I?"~*-Bono, after making a speech, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001~

"In a parked car
In a crowded street
You see your love
Made complete"

"Love is clockworks
And cold steel
Fingers too numb to feel"

These really stick out as being about someone who places a car bomb for "love". They are doing it because it is the only way they can help their country. But from what I hear, it is supposed to be about the whole IRA situation.

------------------
Change is the only constant

WOW!!! strange how different interpretations exist. I took the "in a parked car..." lyric to be about a sexual encounter between to strangers, and the whole song as someone who is disillusioned about what Love is. Listening to it again, I can can hear the whole IRA message. Interesting.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Somewhere I read that it was written for The Edge and it was about the break up his first marriage.
Sorry I can't recall where I read that...

dream wanderer

Ok, I started to feel like a moron here for not ahve found out but the last posts made it up.
smile.gif

I have also always thought it was about love, in some way, like Zooropa said and Ana.
BUT it has been so dark that I have felt uncomfortable with it being even about unhappy love. Not a thought has occured about it being about terrorists.

So I got to read a project a friend of mine did about U2 for school and it was mainly about the troubles that has come into U2's music. First she talked about SBS and that's pretty obvious and then when she kept on mentioning songs that could be about NI she mentions Love is blindness and I was like "no way". But when I read her points and the references to the lyrics it suddenly made sense. The darkness, almost the hate in that song. Everything fitted and it was like "aha... yes of course, NOW I see why it's so "hard" even though it's s "soft" song"

When I look at it now, it hardly has any references to be about love between a man and a woman. It's a few lines like "in a parked car, in a crowded street you see your love made complete", but not much more.

Yet another time their music has just dawned on me, surpriced me and blowed me away with it's profound, mindboggling(word?) way.
THIS is why I love them so much. Still, over ten years after it's release I find and get to know new things and meanings behind the lyrics and the sounds.

Back
Top Bottom