Losing your love for U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SpaceOddity said:

Okay, rant time. I apologize in advance. I completely agree, whether it's the latest record or ATYCLB. Look, I didn't really like HTDAAB myself, but I just don't understand why certain people think it's necessary to keep whining about it. So you didn't like the last two albums - we get it. Why don't you sell your copies, burn your Vertigo/Elevation concert pictures and cleanse your soul of that safe-critic-toting filth?

This seems to happen in every fandom. For example... Ok, I'm a Star Wars fan. I hated the prequel trilogy. However, I didn't waste my time bitching and moaning about how the original trilogy was superior, or how George Lucas has lost his way, or whatever. I simply avoided threads that had to do with the prequels, I didn't buy the movies and guess what? I kept my sanity. No one forced me to like the prequels, just as no one is forcing you guys to like HTDAAB/ATYCLB. If you want to resign as a U2 fan because of 2 albums, then fine, do it. Why waste your time complaining about it? Or, as others have said, take a looong break from U2 if you've grown tired of them. That's what I'm doing. If someone's sick of Mexican food, then why would they keep going to Mexican restaurants? [/lame example]

As a side note, I also think it's amusing that some people seem to be "threatening" to stop liking U2, like it's a major announcement and the masses are really concerned. :rolleyes:

I think I love you. Really. ;)

What do they think is going to happen? Everyone else is suddenly going to stop liking them too, because they have taken a weird stance against the last 2 albums?

It's just a bit irritating and depressing when an album means a lot to you and then others spend their time slagging it off here and there on a U2 message board.

I liked the "Star Wars" prequels. Admittedly, "Phantom" was a bit weak, but the other two were great. And as I'm old enough to have seen the original in the theaters, trust me, if you think Lucas "lost it" - it was with "Return of the Jedi". That ranks second to last as my least favorite ("Phantom" wins as least favorite).

I also really like the last two U2 albums - a LOT. I feel HTDAAB is a tremendous improvement over ATYCLB.

U2 have always seemed to transition in time with how I feel. When I was a teen and felt I could take on the world - be a rebel, there was "War". When I learned about MLK and grew to deeply admire him, what do you know? - along comes UF! When I wanted a music artist who could "speak for a generation", U2 was there with JT. But by 1990, I grew tired of a preachy U2 - I wanted a fun rocking album. Along comes AB. I was curious about some techno - along comes "Pop". But after a decade of experimentation, I wanted a band to return to a more simpler sound. Along comes ATYCLB. Then when I wanted a slightly harder sound than ATYCLB, U2 deliver again with HTDAAB.

It truly feels like U2 is tapping into my soul's musical desires - and they've been doing this for 20+ years! Other bands come along and grab my attention - which is a VERY good thing. But none truly inspire me like U2. They always suit me and my world.

Plus, they've changed so much over the years that one can easily go back to "War" or JT or AB or even HTDAAB and enjoy the sounds there. Sometimes I long for that long-haired Bono - and the JT/R&H era is perfect. Other times, I want that youthful exuberance that UF delivers. Then I want some "groove" - there's AB.

So while I agree with the masses that stated it is good to take a break and explore other music, will I ever lose my love for U2? No. And Bono's activism has only made me like them more.

Yahweh said:
Really im tired of this 1980-1997 crap, I am certain that in 1991, 1993, and 1997 I was having the same discussion with people then as you people are having now about U2 having lost the plot...never seen such spoiled rotton fans as U2 fans are, and personally I have been waiting for the so called "diehard" fans to disappear for the last 15 years at least because all they do is complain, it isnt limited to the last 2 albums either.

I'm a diehard fan..and I've just kept appreciating & loving them more throw the decades! not that don't a little complaint here & there, but that's triffling compated to how i feel about them and their place in R&R history.......both on recordings & LIVE!!! :heart:

Lancemc said:
Space Oddity, I love your avatar! Did you paint/draw it yourself?

P.S. I still think Revenge of the Sith kicks ass! :rockon:

yes I wanted to compliment you on you SW avi

I hapened to mostly to really enjoy the Prequals.but that's my opinion.and zi saw them from the original start.

Loved ROS! my fave remains ESB :love: but ROS looks fantastic and kicks butt! :D

Am I critical of U2? YES
Do I got issues with Bono? YES

fact is, there sitll my favorite band on earth. I have never been dissapointed with any of their albums. Their all good to great to me.

to me, their the best band ever. I listen to SO many different genres of music, and have gotten into many other bands over the last couple years.

None of them will touch u2 to me. Sure, I love Zeppelin and their music and maybe as much as u2...I love Floyd almost as much as well.

but u2's music brings out emotions that no one band could do. Songs like "Stay"...come on, no one could make a song like that.

I'll always be a u2 die-hard. never will I change, no matter how much Bono irritates me. :wink:

And I do apologize, I've loved the last two albums. sorry everyone

I haven't read through the entire thread yet, but I will.

I have a friend who I think has lost the love for U2. Also I think they're afraid to tell me. This friend has been my concert buddy since Popmart. Said friend made up 101 excuses NOT to go to shows that I was lucky enough to get tickets for on this tour. Really lame excuses too. I don't understand it.

caragriff said:
i'm definitely not losing my love for u2.
losing my love for u2 fans?
now that's another story......

:giggle:

:shifty:

I always played other music along with U2..but it would vary in percentages......esp on the release of a new album!

plus i've had serious music affairs with bands previous to U2...and u2 joined my small pantheon of Uber-faves! :heart: :D

I will always love U2 but I definetly had U2 overload this tour. It happens. I lived and breathed U2 for almost a year. I need a break. It doesn't help that they are everywhere now too.

I would say my obsession has died down a little and I was lucky to get a picture with Bono, have an autographed War album with Bono and Adam and shook hands with the Edge, that's enough for me. I would like to get one more autograph from Bono on something I bought but that's it. I am 34 and for me it is just time to be done.

Last edited:
youtwohearts said:
I will always love U2 but I definetly had U2 overload this tour. It happens. I lived and breathed U2 for almost a year. I need a break. It doesn't help that they are everywhere now too.

I would say my obsession has died down a little and I was lucky to get a picture with Bono, have an autographed War album with Bono and Adam and shook hands with the Edge, that's enough for me. I would like to get one more autograph from Bono on something I bought but that's it. I am 34 and for me it is just time to be done.

:madwife:

I'll never get tired of them, I love their music way too much. These songs were written for me. They are an extension of me.

Like most folks, I will go through phases where I listen to other artists more and U2 less, but they will be playing in my car and in my home until the day I die...and at my wake and funeral, I will have U2 played on a continuous loop thru out the services.:wink:

I've been going through a pahse - that I'm just now starting to get out of - where U2 made me anxious and depressed. It was terrible! Instead of feeling happy after the Grammys, I felt really really bad. I don't know if it was overload or if the band members seemed a little depressed (which I thought they did) and it rubbed off on me. But I was feeling this way before the Grammys, so I don't think that was the case.

But I haven't felt as enthusiastic about U2 as I used to, and this enthusiasm has been diminishing steadily since my friend stopped liking them. I know it doesn't matter if she likes them or not, but it just feels better to have someone to "share" with. Now I don't know anyone who likes them as much as I do (in person).

And, yes, sometimes I get really tired of hearing about Bono winning awards and attending all these political gatherings, etc. It just gets so old! I want to hear more about the music. In fact, sometimes I think I actually forget that U2 makes music. :huh: That's just really messed up.

But, like so many others have said, a break from them once in a while does do a great deal of good.

I think the one thing that turns me off about U2 right now is that they are all old and starting to look ugly. Even Larry is losing his good looks. That's sad.

My U2 fandom is like a torrid love affair ... lose it when its sour but I always keep coming back. From crap albums to works of genius, there is always that tension --- that love-hate relationship --- that makes me coming back for more U2... right now, the relationship is smooth sailing...

never lose my love for u2....ever....(its been a long night and i'm pretty drunk so this is as honest as i get :wink:

Windmilllane said:
I think the one thing that turns me off about U2 right now is that they are all old and starting to look ugly. Even Larry is losing his good looks. That's sad.

:eyebrow:

Yahweh said:
Must be that Achtung Baby, Zooropa and POP wernt great records either...infact even Joshua Tree had haters because U2 had got too mainstream for them, things havent changed nor will they ever change, this critisism will continue for all eternity no matter what record U2 comes out with. London New York Paris Munich everybody talk about terrible music. It has always been this way for a small populus, and especially when they got a chance to vent on the internet about how terrible U2 had become yet they still come to U2 related websites....80s, 90s, 2000s it hasnt changed any.

You are 100% correct.

I'm 34 years old and I will never loose my love for U2. I also have no problem with listening to other music besides U2. The great thing about the world of music is that its so vast, there is plenty of great songs to choose from. I'm not strictly top 40, I go by whatever I'm in the mood to listen to.
As for U2 being overexposed right now, just wait in a year or two. We'll be complaining that the band isn't getting any radio play, or that the Grammies that year are completely irrelevant
because they only nominate hip hop or pop music and ignore everything else.
I agree with Yahweh, in the U2 fandom things haven't changed much. I became a fan back in '84 and even before the internet & Bono's Africa work things were the same then. U2 would put out an album,they go on tour, some time would go by and people start to get bored with that album, then suddenly it seems that the band is old and falling apart, and it looks like its the end of U2.
Maybe it's just me, but the band seem like they are enjoying themselves at the moment, are very happy with their Grammy wins and are quite capable of putting out another extraordinary album, in the not so distant future.

The only reason my love for u2 is somewhat diminished is because they are too famous! I always think back to the good ol' days when bono had his mullet and waved the white flag. I miss the time when Bono didn't work so hard to be in the mainstream so much. The worst part is even my parents know about Bono and u2, that just kind of
ruins it for me. I still love u2 but i just wish I didn't see Bono on cnn almost every day.

So I want to know, who gets annoyed with Bono? Is
it his holier than though attitude, or his africa ranting
etc.?(or does he not bug you at all?)

I am definitely not tired of the actual U2, neither with Bono's increasing activism and fight against those causes. Despite I think he should spend more time with the band next time, I think he must continue his work. Ok, like he said "he is a fat cat too" like the others, but that his beliefs, why should he stop? And the band must get angry sometimes, but they seem to support...

Back
Top Bottom