Live Webcast--how will it be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitman

Acrobat
Does anyone have any experience in seeing shows like this online? Will it be one of those deals where you can't access U2.com because of the volume? Is the picture any good? Should we be downloading any extra software to view it? Any other comments/ suggestions in reference to the show would be helpful....

Also, I have a cable connection...is this going to help?

------------------
You Just Can't Get Enough Of That Lovey Dovey Stuff...

Cable connection will help. I'm more worried that "they" won't be able to handle all the traffic.

Every webcast I've ever seen/heard about has been disastrous.

CK

------------------
I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

yes, it does seem like they never seem to work like they are supposed to.....
ahh technology.....

Would be great to view it live, but if not, they said you can still catch it up to 7 days after the event....
I haven't seen any live webcasts before, but my impression of it is to be the same quality as Real Player and viewed with Real Player if that's what you have..

Looks like the people who pay for Realplayer Goldpass will have the better options. This from ******.net:

RealNetworks and Tiscali to webcast live, free concert
from Notre Dame, the legendary home of "The Fighting
Irish," on Wednesday, October 10, at 9 p.m. (EST).

U2, RealNetworks and Tiscali (a leading pan-European
Internet communications company) today announced
plans to webcast an upcoming U2 concert on U2.com
on Wednesday, October 10, at 9 p.m. (EST). The show
will mark the start of the third leg of U2's Elevation 2001
Tour. The band has already performed more than 100
shows to more than two million fans around the globe
this year. The live webcast is available to fans worldwide
free of charge.

"In a time when the entire world has been saddened by
the recent events in New York City and Washington, DC,
U2, RealNetworks and Tiscali all felt that offering U2's
concert free to the public was the right thing to do," stated
Erik Flannigan, vice president ofMusic Services for
RealNetworks. "At the same time, by offering exclusive
aspects of the concert--such as the 360-degree spin cam,
back-stage interviews and on-demand broadband
feeds--to our established 400,000 GoldPass subscribers,
we are laying the groundwork for the great and exclusive
content that RealOne members will be able to expect,
when our RealOne Service is launched to the public later
this fall... and GoldPass members are transitioned to
RealOne members."

On the night of the webcast, RealNetworks will bring the
concert to U.S. fans online via www.U2.com and www.real.com. European listeners will be able to access
the concert live at 3:00 AM (CET) on Thursday, October 11
through the homepage of the Tiscali webcast hub located
at http://u2.tiscali.com. Tiscali will then officially
re-broadcast the concert for a European audience the
following day at 9:00 p.m. (CET) at each of its fifteen
European portal sites.

The live webcast will offer viewing with multiple
cameras--four of which will be focused on each member of
the--allowing users to personalize their online experience
by selecting which camera they choose to view at any
given time.

RealNetworks' GoldPass and European subscribers to
Tiscali's services will be able to "go backstage" and enjoy
an unforgettable live experience through an interactive
360-degree spin cam, while also gaining access to "making
of" footage of the concert, and backstage interviews with
the band and crew.

For twenty-one days following the event, RealNetworks
and Tiscali will offer on-demand, exclusive viewing of
broadband coverage of the concert, as well as interviews
with U2 band members, to RealNetworks' GoldPass
members. Real Broadcast Network (RBN), RealNetworks'
Content Delivery Network division, is responsible for the
production, management, and delivery of the live U2
webcast.

This is going to be the coolest thing since the PopMart debut in Las Vegas was webcast!!
What's that? You don't remember the Vegas show being webcast? That's because not one freaking fan got to hear a damn thing because the sight hosting the show got bombarded until it crashed. And that was just audio!
It'll happen again, believe me. At best you might get occasional snatches of music and screaming and a indecipherable and blurred image on your RealPlayer screen.
"Is that Bono?"
"No way dude, that's the stadium. The home of the Fighting Irish."
"Is that Larry's drum kit?"
"Maybe, but then again it might be a shot of the audience."
"What's that noise? Are U2 playing yet?"
"I dunno, maybe it's Garbage?"
"What the hell is going on? I can't hear or see anything?"
"It's streaming audio and visual media. Just give it ten minutes or so. Go order a pizza or something. When you get back you might get another ten seconds of indecipherable noise and visuals."

MAP (the u2 fan formerly known as MP)

yeah, i agree that this "web cast" is gonna be all pump and very little pop. most of us with 56k modems won't be able to see a thing and even if u have a cable connection the traffic will probably be way more than what they can handle. personally i could care less about the web cast......i'm gonna see em' live in 11 days in baltimore!!!!!!!

------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds." -Bob Marley "Redemption Song"

Not to mention the audio will be that muffled distorted real audio. Fortunately I will be at the show and I wont even have to attempt to get online to get it. Good luck to everyone not going though. Maybe some of you will get through and see part of it at least.

BLUE ROOM:
that's so kewl ur seeing the first show! you going to any east coast shows? baltimore/nj/philly then vegas for me.

------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds." -Bob Marley "Redemption Song"

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Not to mention the audio will be that muffled distorted real audio. Fortunately I will be at the show and I wont even have to attempt to get online to get it. Good luck to everyone not going though. Maybe some of you will get through and see part of it at least.

Wave to us Blue

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

http://eliv8.fws1.com/

i watched madonna's performance from brixton academy live over the internet. you have to get on early, 95% of us won't even get connected. try logging on at around 4 pm. having a cable modem will be a great help, you make actually see images. maybe. i have a 56K. for the madonna concert all i could see were streaks of color that sort of resembled bodies. (like when you try to watch cable channels you aren't paying for.) but the sound was very good.

basically, it will suck no matter how much money U2 has paid these people to guarentee it will be good. but, you won't care. you're all dillusioned U2 fans (like myself) and we'll all think it was incredible. cause that madonna concert... whew! it was a work of art.
wink.gif

------------------
?Hard as it is to keep it together, it is still possible to have those moments when it?s just the four of you being able to keep the rest of the world out... and that?s what it?s all about.?
-Adam

Love,
Emily

She wore lemon, but never in the daylight...

I'm not optimisitic at all that the quality will be any good. I'm seeing U2 in 5 days anyway so I won't bother with the webcast methinks.

PopDream, no east coast shows for me. Notre Dame and both Chicago shows and the Elevation tour is done for me.

Eliv8, I will wave. I will be that blur with the blue sweatshirt on, look for me!
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom