Live versions of Somtimes you can't make it on your own vs the HTDAAB version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
Do you guys prefer live versions of Sometimes you cant make it on your own to the recorded CD version. I do!. I feel in many case Bono sang the song better live. He held the siiiiiing much longer and ultimately had more passion live than the recorded version. I know the siiiiiiing is cleaner and higher on the CD but live Bono’s tone usually more interesting. Even in the Chicago DVD where Bono’s voice was not it top form was sung better than the CD version. The CD version some how lacks the emotion of the live performances and further the production and recording of HTDAAB doesn’t really capture the power in his voice for some reason I feel. What do u guys think?

Jdelbove said:
Do you guys prefer live versions of Sometimes you cant make it on your own to the recorded CD version. I do!. I feel in many case Bono sang the song better live. He held the siiiiiing much longer and ultimately had more passion live than the recorded version. I know the siiiiiiing is cleaner and higher on the CD but live Bono’s tone usually more interesting. Even in the Chicago DVD where Bono’s voice was not it top form was sung better than the CD version. The CD version some how lacks the emotion of the live performances and further the production and recording of HTDAAB doesn’t really capture the power in his voice for some reason I feel. What do u guys think?

2005-10-03 - Boston, sing in 8 seconds :)

I always thought the live version neutered the Edge's guitar playing during the bridge.... when Bono sings, "Can you hear me when I sing?" part, the guitar is COMPLETELY drowned out in the album version.

In live versions such as the Live from Under The Brooklyn Bridge version, and even the Milan version, the guitar is up-front in the mix, and that's the reason I always liked the live versions better.

I prefer the album version overall
except for that live performance they did at the Jonathan Ross

U2 at its best that was

I skip the album version when listening to HTDAAB about 50% of the time. It's just gotten stale to me.

Album. Because "the" note sounds much cleaner and the guitar is more audible in that part.

I liked the snippets live.

I skip it on the album and I skip it on bootlegs. Either way, the song's a boring snoozefest. I prefer the live version though, because it doesn't suffer from the gross overproduction of the album's version.

Axver said:
I skip it on the album and I skip it on bootlegs. Either way, the song's a boring snoozefest. I prefer the live version though, because it doesn't suffer from the gross overproduction of the album's version.

I like Sometimes , but I too found this song getting more boring with each listen.
Perhaps they should`nt have played it each night of Vertigo?
Kite is far superior than Sometimes and better to listen to.

I hope Sometimes will not return due to the fact it`s played to much.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I don't know. I kind of like the overproduced album version. It's really A Moment on the album. Moves me every time I hear it.

Live, the song always sounded a little thin by contrast, partially because Edge played the guitar part an octave higher.

Either way, I don't think we'll hear it again.

I think Sometimes was meant to be the emotional peak of the album, which is why it makes no sense to me that they made it the third song. That's way too early for it to really hit hard. I think I might've switched that and OOTS. The live version had a lot of emotion in it. I enjoyed the performances of it that I saw, but I don't feel the need to ever see them perform it again.

Sometimes is 'tough' & its 'got the stuff'....
Voted song of the year (2005 Grammys), & Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal.....it aint no slouch. Problmen is, like any thing you grow to loathe, its been a victim of being overplayed by both radio & band....Put this song on in 10years & you'll be spooked like the first time....
Live the song had some awesome moments...yet overall, the album production captures the sentiment better....

phillyfan26 said:
I loved it originally, but quickly grew bored of it.

Same with me, then I hadn't listened to it for about half a year, and then, I've listened to some Vertigo tour bootleg and this song was played and I fell in love with it again..

phillyfan26 said:
I loved it originally, but quickly grew bored of it.

It was the same with me. It just became too predictably scripted. It was the song where Bono took off his shades, like WOWY was the song where he pulled a woman on stage to dance. It's a shame, because it really could've stayed as powerful as it was the first time I saw it. I understand that the show has to be scripted to a certain extent because of lighting and video effects and instrument changes, but I think this is another example of the show suffering from too much scripting.

Back
Top Bottom