Live Versions Most Different From Album Versions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMScoopy

Refugee
I dont know if this has been done before. I dont count acoustic versions cause it's kind of obvious, and i only count FULL BAND versions.

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Yahweh
3. Until the End of the World
4. New Years Day
5. The Fly

Original of the Species
Bullet the Blue Sky
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

..Are the three most obvious to me.

Please-studio version sounds like a tight, jazz club arrangment, but the live version is so epic.

Discotheque
Lemon

If you wear that velvet dress, Original of the Species, Please, Yahweh, Discothèque, Staring at The Sun, Mofo... Funny, it's all Pop material :ohmy:

God Part III said:
If you wear that velvet dress, Original of the Species, Please, Yahweh, Discothèque, Staring at The Sun, Mofo... Funny, it's all Pop material :ohmy:

It's true! It's like the band didn't find each song's attitude, musically, till they started playing them live. Out of all of these, I think Mofo was most improved.

Bullet the Blue Sky
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Last Night on Earth
Dirty Day
11 O'Clock Tick Tock (the b-side version is horrific)

Until the end of the World
Even Better than the Real Thing
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Electic Co.
Out of Control
Elevation
I Through a Brick
I Will Follow
Please
Kite (live I find it very stirring)
Vertigo
COBL
New Years Day
All I want is YOu

Can't believe it took 11 responses for someone to mention Elevation. ATYCLB Elevation and tour Elevation are entirely different beasts.

Miricale_Drug said:
MOFO. where are the starting drums?

At the tour opener in Las Vegas Larry played the drums between Pop Muzik and the start of the Mofo synths. Doesn't sound as tight as the "standard" version.

Exit.

One listen to it on the Rattle & Hum DVD vs. the studio version, and you'll know why.

I'd also mention Mothers Of The Disappeared, which is one of my favorites in any form, but hearing it on the "Rock's Hottest Ticket" bootleg is just :drool:

phanan said:
Exit.

One listen to it on the Rattle & Hum DVD vs. the studio version, and you'll know why.

I'd also mention Mothers Of The Disappeared, which is one of my favorites in any form, but hearing it on the "Rock's Hottest Ticket" bootleg is just :drool:

listen to the studio version? is that possible!!:huh:

Miss Sarajevo - Vertigo Tour
Running To Stand Still - Zoo TV
If You Wear That Velvet Dress - PopMart
Discotheque's intro - PopMart
Discotheque in general (!) - Vertigo Tour

I'm gonna have to mention Mofo as well seeing as it was already mentioned. What a fantastic song live, with the 'Move me a mountain' outro far more powerful than the album version, and the bass far better given that it's actually played for most of the song and not a keyboard/synth repetition. Brilliant.

In terms of having the most different arrangement from the studio versions...

Mofo

Yahweh (awesome live)

Origional of the Species

Fast Cars - sounds pretty different too, I think it the drums.

Mysterious Ways - The whole 2nd part of the live version with the sliding solo, amazing!!! Kills the album version.

Staring at the Sun

Discotheque (Vertigo Tour)

Wake up dead man

mobvok said:

At the tour opener in Las Vegas Larry played the drums between Pop Muzik and the start of the Mofo synths. Doesn't sound as tight as the "standard" version.
sounded better than nothing :drool:

I'm not sure if Love is Blindness has been mentioned but the first price goes to Sunday Bloody Sunday, to me it's almost two different songs.

I would say Hawkmoon. The whole structure and sound of the song live is different from the studio version. The only part that is like the studio version is the lyrics (and even those are shortened)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom