Live Tour DVDs/Videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AttnKleinkind

The Fly
I don't have any videos of a live performance of U2...and I'm dying to get one. Seeing as Christmas is coming up, I was wondering which one would be the most recommended for my first one? I was also wondering if the "older" ones such as ZooTv Live from Sydney or Popmart Mexico are available at regular stores like Future Shop, or do I need to get those over eBay?

Get as many as you can! Don't listen to all the people about to say stuff how Hamish one's suck or Chicago is a letdown or whatever is gonna happen. Get every one, so you can see little snippets of time in U2's history. You won't regret it! I might say wait for the DVD's of ZooTV and PopMart though. They can't be too far away. Hell even get the Best Of DVD's if you like their music videos! :wink:

Slane is a must. The new one and Boston have their moments, but Slane is just brilliant right through - U2's best official concert DVD by a long way.

Y'know, the actual performances are fantastic in Vertigo. Sure the audience is great - although I think it can partly be blamed on the director (not that Hamish could do anything wrong:wink: ). Although, i think it is true that Hamish does do a good job at capturing the feeling of the boys' performances. If i ignore the audience in the Vertigo DVD, it's actually remarkably similar to the actual concert. I felt the same about the Boston Elevation dvd.
Popmart plays very well to being on a TV screen. The visuals look fantastic.
I feel like the Zoo TV video lacks exactly how cool Zoo TV was.

U2 Go Home (the concert at Slane Castle) is my favourite and probably the least expensive of the bunch as well! You'll probably find it for under $20 in Canada (it was $9.99 for a while at HMV downtown Toronto!).

Rattle & Hum is great and filled with great performances but it's not just one concert. It's a bunch of live performances filmed at different locales.

Those are the only videos I've seen, so far!

blueyedpoet said:
Y'know, the actual performances are fantastic in Vertigo. Sure the audience is great - although I think it can partly be blamed on the director (not that Hamish could do anything wrong:wink: ). Although, i think it is true that Hamish does do a good job at capturing the feeling of the boys' performances. If i ignore the audience in the Vertigo DVD, it's actually remarkably similar to the actual concert. I felt the same about the Boston Elevation dvd.
Popmart plays very well to being on a TV screen. The visuals look fantastic.
I feel like the Zoo TV video lacks exactly how cool Zoo TV was.

I enjoyed Chicago, after I was able to ignore the first 10 minutes (give or take) of camera work :D

If you want older U2 stuff, I'd say go for ZooTV. If you are looking for something more recent then Slane Castle all the way! :drool:

THis is the awesome thing about U2. You just aren't getting the whole U2 if you get just one video.

Zoo TV is great... until the last encore when MacPhisto shows up... now i know that i'm gonna get flamed for this... i know there's lots of macphisto lovers here... it's just my personal opinion, looking back on it... that it's just creepy... i mean, who really wants to see Bono singing WOWY with white makeup dripping off his face... it makes me cringe... and it makes me sad that i feel that way... :sad:

Not so much 'experienced', I think it's a great one to start with. I think I got it second after 'Popmart'.

I'd reccomend Red Rocks. My favourite one, no over the top show, just 100% fantastic music [which is not to say that the spectacles that were Zoo TV and Popmart were bad, of course!]

One problem I've found with later live videos is that some dipstick goes and turns up the crowd during songs! :mad: So when The Edge hits that amazing high note at the beginning of Mofo it's completely drowned by screaming people! No fun. :(

Zoo TV live from Sydney. get this. it's U2 at their absolute musical and creative peak. no video/DVD collection is complete without this. :drool:

WalkOn21 said:

Rattle & Hum is for 'experienced' U2 dvd watchers. ;)

LOL I'll keep that in mind...I gotta work myself up to that level, don't want to strain mysefl! :wink:

But yeah, I just meant that I wanted my first one to be one of the best ones.

Back
Top Bottom