Live is Where We Live- Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattip2000

New Yorker
I’ve wanted to do this for a long time but am just getting around to it now. I want to remake each album with the best live versions of each song (when one is available).

Starting with Pop, what are the greatest live recordings of each song?

(bonus points for providing a link for downloading)

Do You Feel Loved = LAS VEGAS

MOFO = leeds?

PLEASE = Santiago 98

If GOd Will Send... = LAS VEGAS

Staring at The Sun = ...mexico?

WAKE UP DEAD MAN = rotterdam

DISCOTHEQUE = leeds

LAST NIGHT ON EARTH = Mexico

MIAMI = Italy, 150.000

If You Wear... = LAS VEGAS (that little solo :drool: )

Discotheque - Leeds
DYFL - Vegas
Mofo - Leeds
IFWSHA - Vegas
SATS - Rotterdam
LNOE - Mexico
Gone - Mexico
Miami - Leeds
Playboy - N/A
IYWTVD - Vegas
Please - MTV Video Awards
WUDM - Slane 2001

mikal said:

Please - MTV Video Awards

:no: Oh, God no, that version is horrible, even Ali admits that...

This is a difficult album to start this type of thread with... This is one album where some tunes really suffered live and got aborted quickly i.e. DYFL, and some tunes really took off live and surpass the album version, i.e. Please.

discothequeLP said:
how is the MTV Awards version of Please horrible? i personally thought it was one of the better versions

It was like they didn't want to be there, Bono's voice was weak, there just wasn't any energy. Rotterdam blew this performance away...

Whereas their Europe Mtv performance of MOFO was probably their best performance of that song...

I'd replace Gone - Mexico with Gone - Serajevo. His voice was failing but this is before it cut out, and Bono just pushed himself and belted Gone out at this show (probably the reason he ended up losing his voice).

Also, we need a little more variation here. With all of the FANTASTIC soundboard recordings from the Popmart tour I can't believe we're just flipping back and forth between Leeds and Mexico. Give me LNOE from Tel Aviv and MOFO from Sau Paulo (or Euro MTV)

~A.j.~

Discotheque - Chicago(Vertigo Tour)
Do you Feel Loved - Tempe
Mofo - MTV awards:rockon:
IGWSHA - Las Vegas
SATS - Rotterdam
LNOE - Sarajevo
Gone - Sarajevo
Miami - Miami
Please - Washington D.C.(Sunday Bloody Sunday snippet)
Velvet Dress - Sarajevo
Wake up Dead Man - Slane

1. Discotheque - so many possibilities... can't decide between Leeds, Tel Aviv and Manheim :rockon: Vertigo version is also great, but it can't compare with the awesomness of Popmart snippet-fest which was Discotheque back then! :drool:

2. Do You Feel Loved - I'll go with Eugene, though there isn't much to chose from

3. Mofo - Mexico is probably the definitive version, although the MTV awards is a close second!

4. IGWSHA - Las Vegas, such a pity they dropped it so early

5. SATS - Rotterdam, though album version is superiour

6. LNOE - most rocking song should be chosed from the most rocking show - rock on Leeds :rockon:

7. Gone - "Sarajevo not coming down!!!"

8. Miami - I've always though Miami Leeds is the best performance, but lately I discovered that Tel Aviv version is slightly better, the sound is much clearer

9. IYWTVD - hard to chose, I guess Mexico?

10. Please - Rotterdam, seems to be the most emotional one

11. WUDM - album version shits over the live one, but if I have to chose any, I'll go with Elevation Slane

Last Night On Earth has to be Mexico City or the whole album will be condemned. :wink: seriously, it's the best one by miles, none of them live up to it. The album version is pretty shite compared to it too :huh:

Mofo, i didn't realise quite how much love the Leeds performance had, my favourite is the MTV Awards performance.

gareth brown said:
Last Night On Earth has to be Mexico City or the whole album will be condemned. :wink: seriously, it's the best one by miles, none of them live up to it. The album version is pretty shite compared to it too :huh:

Bono's vocals are pretty weak on this version, earlier versions were much stronger vocally, I don't see why it's the best

Discotheque - Vertigo Chicago
Do You Feel Loved? - Album Version
Mofo - MTV Video Awards
IGWSHA - No version is good, so I can't tell you.
Staring at the Sun - Album Version
Last Night on Earth - Popmart Santiago
Gone - Boston Elevation
Miami - Leeds
Playboy Mansion - See IGWSHA
IYWTVD - Popmart Mexico City
Please - Popmart Buenos Aires
Wake Up Dead Man - Album Version

It's an album with only three album versions that are superior, and two crap songs. So, you do have seven improved songs live.

The live shows I posted I feel strongly about, too (exception: Mofo - it's that good in most live versions).

U2lunatic said:

Bono's vocals are pretty weak on this version, earlier versions were much stronger vocally, I don't see why it's the best
well i'm thinking of U2 as a whole band, other performances i've heard they all just sound so flat whereas the Mexico City one they sound really in your face to put it oe way

1. Discotheque: Toronto '05
(Forget the '97/'98/'01 versions, it is the very, very rare outing during the VERTIGO TOUR, that brought the best out of this riddle about love ...)

2. Do You Feel Loved: Tempe '97 -
(I'll go with the very last live version of this not much known U2 gem, a version having it all – before disappearing from the setlists ...)

3. Mofo: MTV Awards '97
(Great guitar in the mix, a strange choice for a strange show – what a performance!)

4. If God Will Send His Angels: Las Vegas '97
(The longest version of this rare performed U2 single – a lot of improvisation, simply beautiful ...)

5. Staring At The Sun: East Rutherford '97
(Not the last 3rd night, not the last 2nd, but the 1st show – when U2 still played the catchy tune as a full band, electric version. Though the later acoustic versions won and did their job, I'd still go for the electric guitar driven version. It's the groove ...)

6. Last Night On Earth: Hanover '97
(The longest outro, this song ever had. A kind of rebirth of "All Along The Watchtower" with Edge really on fire & the band never wanting to stop again. What a performance as a gift to one of the strongest and the last of the German POPMART shows)

7. Gone: Vienna '01
(The slightly re-arranged ELEVATION versions were far better than the '97/'98 performances – with a new ending, fed by an incredible Edge crescendo. Perfect!)

8. Miami: Cologne '97
(There were versions, where the tune was filled with a load of snippets. This one had the bitter reference to Gianni Versace being killed, Bono outing the cruel Beatles' "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" & giving thus the tune a special meaning)

9. If You Were That Velvet Dress: Las Vegas '97
(Great version, long & with a lot of improvisation. Plus: A beautiful Edge solo idea, never having been played since then ...)

10. Please: Miami '01
(Though I do prefer electric versions in general, especially with this tune – for example the Reggio Emilia '97 one with a long, long, rocking outro – I'd have to take the post 09/11, acoustic performance. Played on the very last evening of the now famous 3rd leg, Bono gave it all. Everybody in the arena was touched by the heart, a mind blowing performance. How can a song, written years before the WTC attacks, be so meaningful later – a kind of sinister prophecy? "September ... we just started again ...")

11. Wake Up Dead Man: Berlin '01
(Bono messing up lyrics, having a croaky voice, nearly giving up – and giving all he has in this nice, also poetic coda from POP ...)

ZOOTVTOURist said:
1. Discotheque: Toronto '05
(Forget the '97/'98/'01 versions, it is the very, very rare outing during the VERTIGO TOUR, that brought the best out of this riddle about love ...)

2. Do You Feel Loved: Tempe '97 -
(I'll go with the very last live version of this not much known U2 gem, a version having it all – before disappearing from the setlists ...)

3. Mofo: MTV Awards '97
(Great guitar in the mix, a strange choice for a strange show – what a performance!)

4. If God Will Send His Angels: Las Vegas '97
(The longest version of this rare performed U2 single – a lot of improvisation, simply beautiful ...)

5. Staring At The Sun: East Rutherford '97
(Not the last 3rd night, not the last 2nd, but the 1st show – when U2 still played the catchy tune as a full band, electric version. Though the later acoustic versions won and did their job, I'd still go for the electric guitar driven version. It's the groove ...)

6. Last Night On Earth: Hanover '97
(The longest outro, this song ever had. A kind of rebirth of "All Along The Watchtower" with Edge really on fire & the band never wanting to stop again. What a performance as a gift to one of the strongest and the last of the German POPMART shows)

7. Gone: Vienna '01
(The slightly re-arranged ELEVATION versions were far better than the '97/'98 performances – with a new ending, fed by an incredible Edge crescendo. Perfect!)

8. Miami: Cologne '97
(There were versions, where the tune was filled with a load of snippets. This one had the bitter reference to Gianni Versace being killed, Bono outing the cruel Beatles' "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" & giving thus the tune a special meaning)

9. If You Were That Velvet Dress: Las Vegas '97
(Great version, long & with a lot of improvisation. Plus: A beautiful Edge solo idea, never having been played since then ...)

10. Please: Miami '01
(Though I do prefer electric versions in general, especially with this tune – for example the Reggio Emilia '97 one with a long, long, rocking outro – I'd have to take the post 09/11, acoustic performance. Played on the very last evening of the now famous 3rd leg, Bono gave it all. Everybody in the arena was touched by the heart, a mind blowing performance. How can a song, written years before the WTC attacks, be so meaningful later – a kind of sinister prophecy? "September ... we just started again ...")

11. Wake Up Dead Man: Berlin '01
(Bono messing up lyrics, having a croaky voice, nearly giving up – and giving all he has in this nice, also poetic coda from POP ...)

Your description of the performances is very convincing, could you compile this (in a ZIP or whatnot, if you have all the tracks) and send my way please?

derrick_rossignol@hotmail.com

this would be very appreciated.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:no: Oh, God no, that version is horrible, even Ali admits that...

This is a difficult album to start this type of thread with... This is one album where some tunes really suffered live and got aborted quickly i.e. DYFL, and some tunes really took off live and surpass the album version, i.e. Please.

I personally think the MTV Awards is the best version of this song. The wah guitar is great. I actually thought Bono's performance was brilliant. Ali's opinion really doesn't have any affect on how I feel about this performance, as, imo, it is one of U2's best live TV moments.

I’m about to start tracking down these files to make my playlist (I’ll share it here when I’m done). Not a single suggestion for The Playboy Mansion?

phanan said:
The Playboy Mansion has never been performed live (although it has been snippeted).

You make a good point; I really need to learn how to read u2-vt.com better. Album version it is.

Back
Top Bottom