Live in Paris is a Revelation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahittle

Refugee
As much talk as the last few concert videos have sparked, this JT bonus DVD is a reminder of what a great band U2 were at this stage.

Really, just four guys on a stage bashing through an already superb canon of songs. And that's it. Bono's charisma (in all its un-selfconscious glory) communicates to that vast stadium.

It is just great to see a U2 concert that isn't edited to an inch of its death, to see the band actually interacting as a working rock band, to see a band that isn't locked into sequencers for the bulk of the songs, to see a setlist that just seems like a great collection of songs, not a fussed-over rigid emotional arc.

I love all the multimedia stuff that followed, but this is just a solid reminder of the greatness of that era. I mean, this really was live without a net. They worked their asses off.

U2 has ALWAYS been a very self-conscious band.

Yeah, it was a little more free flowing, but still very planned out. Let's have a flag moment, let's let the fat guy pick me up, etc

zonelistener said:
...and how Bono has ALWAYS screwed up lyrics (listen to In God's Country..."fingers amd bows"????).

Did Edge screw that up along with him? Was that an inside joke?

Couple surprising things:

- Larry with the head mic.

- Adam singing backup on a couple songs.

- that bigass real to real machine behind Edge. I mean, I knew they had a handful of loops for Bad, WOWY, ASOH, etc. But, it was on actual tape? I always assumed they had some sort of rudimentary digital technology by the late 80's. Anyone?

Ah the days when Bono could sing and Larry's playing was both energetic AND interesting...

I liked his vocals on the Paris DVD, but honestly at times it really did sound like he was screaming more than singing.

toscano said:
Ah the days when Bono could sing

One thing that struck me and I was hesitant to mention but it seems like I should, because I can't fathom how some come to the conclusions they do...

I took voice lessons years ago, and one of the first things ever mentioned to me, was that most rock singers don't know to properly sing, and one of the telling signs is when the veins in their neck pop, this means they are straining and it's not coming from the correct air... Well as I watched this video I couldn't help but notice how much he strained. He even acknowledged it himself a couple of times during the show. Anyone who honestly believes his voice back then was the "days he could sing", and somehow today he can't, needs to get their hearing checked...

Seriously! It actually feels painful just looking at his neck during concerts from that era.

I can understand why people might think his voice was preferable in 1987 - I'm one such person. But he's a more talented singer now, whether you like how he sounds now or not.

kingofsorrow said:
i'm just happy to have a clean live version of "unforgettable fire". frankly this is the first live us recording that i have sat and watched in it's entirety since popmart.

Oh me too! The UF is simply simply terrific and exciting on the Paris DVD. :)

BonoVoxSupastar said:

One thing that struck me and I was hesitant to mention but it seems like I should, because I can't fathom how some come to the conclusions they do...

I took voice lessons years ago, and one of the first things ever mentioned to me, was that most rock singers don't know to properly sing, and one of the telling signs is when the veins in their neck pop, this means they are straining and it's not coming from the correct air... Well as I watched this video I couldn't help but notice how much he strained. He even acknowledged it himself a couple of times during the show. Anyone who honestly believes his voice back then was the "days he could sing", and somehow today he can't, needs to get their hearing checked...

when you want so hear well trained voices you must look american idol - it's just horrible everybody sounds the same. Bono had a unique voice these days, full of strength, power and SOUL. That what makes it so special - it's so pur, he's screaming and shooting - and he doensn't care.

I think many problems Bono had with his voice over the years are due to this "wrong" way of singing during the first 10 years of their carreer. It's true that he was straining a lot, just look at his neck muscles today, they look surreal.

biff said:

Yes, his live vocals these days are seriously crap.

:|
:rolleyes: :eyebrow:

umm, actually, no, but nice try there....you are obviously quite ignorant on this subject :rolleyes:...and perrypickwick..WOW, you are the deaf one my friend.....

Bono's voice had its strengths back then, but it also had its obvious weaknesses...quite honestly, i found for much of the concert he resorted to a sort of scream or shout i guess you could say...

a great example: look at new year's day, after "under a blood red sky" that entire verse....in 2006, the most recent shows, he does that entire verse incredibly well, better than ever in my opinion, with a smooth voice and amazing power...now in the paris dvd, he sort of shouts certain parts of it and can't hold it like he does today...

another obvious one is Bad...when he sings "wide awake" part...listen to 2006 -12-4 Saitama Japan...WAAAAAY BETTER than paris one...how do you even compare?...one is soaring and clean, the other is verging on screaming...

Also, I'd like to add that in 1987, Bono couldn't even come close to the level of opera he is singing at now....

The Paris DVD is quite entertaining to watch. Being a drummer myself, I kind of enjoyed seeing how Larry interacted with the roadies..in the beginning of UF (i think) he is actually shouting to one of them about the sound or something, not sure..the whole thing was interesting to me :)

having said all that, I look forward to the next tour, when I believe his voice will be even better than vertigo tour...

:drool:

[

a great example: look at new year's day, after "under a blood red sky" that entire verse....in 2006, the most recent shows, he does that entire verse incredibly well, better than ever in my opinion, with a smooth voice and amazing power...now in the paris dvd, he sort of shouts certain parts of it and can't hold it like he does today...

: [/B]

Sorry, that's just stupid.

I posted exactly this example - Paris and a Vertigo Tour performance of New Years Day in another Thread on a quit similar subjekt:

you mean this really serious?

:ohmy:

NYD - 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hirYyjSeIM8

NYD - Brazil 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-8ZR2PZ1lo

I don't think any of the South American shows is a good example here if you really want to do Bono justice, his voice was bad on most of these shows ... on the other hand, the concerts of the very last Vertigo leg were amazing as far as vocals are concerned.

It's true, Bono had strengths and weaknesses back then as a singer and he has strengths and weaknesses now as well. He was screaming a lot back then but his voice was powerful and wouldn't tire so quickly. Technically, his voice is better now, he has more technique and can use his voice more for emotion and soul. It's a matured voice of someone who's not 25 anymore.

I don't know why such topics always have to lead to comparisons with people bashing Bono's singing either in the "old days" or now.

perrypickwick said:
when you want so hear well trained voices you must look american idol - it's just horrible everybody sounds the same. Bono had a unique voice these days, full of strength, power and SOUL. That what makes it so special - it's so pur, he's screaming and shooting - and he doensn't care.

Can you share some of those pills with me?

If screaming is pure, you must LOVE Heavy Metal singers.

u2fp

@U2 Fan Peter

I mostly hated Heavy Metal singers for the same reason I hate all these American-idol-like singers: the have a trained, balanced voice. Same like american idol - most heavy metal singers sound the same. - they can hold some notes very long etc.

What makes you special is the difference, Bono was screaming these days and perhaps "pure" isn't the right word (I'm german). I mean with that: he really doesn't care of hitting the notes and take care of his voice, it all doesn't matter he was pure engergy on stage. He only wanted to touch and reach the audience. And that what makes a good "singer" in my opinion. For me: these times, and a very good example is Paris 1987 - he was the best frontman the music ever saw. But I'm also tired of discussing that. Some people obviously like his voice better these day - so be it. I just cannot understand that - I would not have been a fan if there were only the U2 of our days.

Last edited:
I remember reading an interview with Bono prior to ATYCLB and he talked about how he feels he became a more accomplished singer on that record. He said he took some singing lessons and acknowledged that he screamed more than sang during the early part of his career.

perrypickwick said:
@U2 Fan Peter

I mostly hated Heavy Metal singers for the same reason I hate all these American-idol-like singers: the have a trained, balanced voice. Same like american idol - most heavy metal singers sound the same. - they can hold some notes very long etc.

What makes you special is the difference, Bono was screaming these days and perhaps "pure" isn't the right word (I'm german). I mean with that: he really doesn't care of hitting the notes and take care of his voice, it all doesn't matter he was pure engergy on stage. He only wanted to touch and reach the audience. And that what makes a good "singer" in my opinion. For me: these times, and a very good example is Paris 1987 - he was the best frontman the music ever saw. But I'm also tired of discussing that. Some people obviously like his voice better these day - so be it. I just cannot understand that - I would not have been a fan if there were only the U2 of our days.

His screaming was problem for a the first couple JT gigs and some shows on the R&H tour.

I prefer his voice from AB to present because he can sing bittersweet notes that never existed in the 80's.

perrypickwick said:

Sorry, that's just stupid.

I posted exactly this example - Paris and a Vertigo Tour performance of New Years Day in another Thread on a quit similar subjekt:

you mean this really serious?

:ohmy:

NYD - 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hirYyjSeIM8

NYD - Brazil 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-8ZR2PZ1lo

This is like night and day...... rythm, voice, intensity....

1987 rules

His voice on that song was much better 20 years ago, but on some other songs, his actual voice might be better (Miss Sarajevo, Until the end of the world, Sometimes....etc...)

I still prefer 80's voice by far.....

Did he have a stronger voice ? That was 20 years ago, of course he did. It's like saying a top athlete was better in his 20s compared to his 40s.

Was he a better singer ? No, unless you consider the pushing of his voice to the limit on a nightly basis for the first 10 years of their career singing. He had to see a doctor in the last days of Lovetown and he was told he would ruin his voice if he kept singing like that.
So he used falsetto and sang with less force later on (compare how he sings Angel of Harlem on Lovetown and Zoo TV).

That said I do miss the UF-JT-Rattle and Hum pre-smoke natural non-gravely tone of his voice.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
U2 has ALWAYS been a very self-conscious band.

Yeah, it was a little more free flowing, but still very planned out. Let's have a flag moment, let's let the fat guy pick me up, etc

And they started using sequencers with UF.

Back
Top Bottom