Live in Paris is a Revelation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
toscano said:

Anyone who listens to Paris and then listens to Chicago and thinks bono's voice is better now than it was then needs their hearing checked. Then again, I've heard BVS 'sing', voice lessons or no it's hard on the ears.

:lmao: anybody who compares ANYTHING to Chicago phails automatically for having such a weak argument. There were plenty of shows during the Vertigo tour which pounded the Chicago DVD to the ground. How about comparing Paris' "40" to "40" from 10-19 DC Vertigo show?

ooooh snap.

I challenge ANYONE to find a better version of 40 than that DC show. CAN I GET A WITNESS UP IN HURRRR!!!!!

His voice was certainly stronger back in the 80's.

However, his style back then had taken it's toll on his voice.

Move into 91' and later, he changed his vocal style

1) Because the new material called for it (AB).

2) It fit the new Suave/ laid back persona

3) He had to because the damage was catching up

While the 80's voice was certainly stronger, I think he did a great job branching out and cultivating more qualities to it.

Almost like a baseball pitcher like Roger Clemens who is a fast ball pitcher most of his career until it takes it's toll on the arm. If you want to continue, you need cultivate a curveball, slider, change up, sinker.

Clemens was considered a better pitcher after he learned these other pitches, even though he was more dominant earlier in the career.

For those who aren't baseball fans, excuse the analogy.

Bono has learned to do more with less.

Personally I love the Zoo Sydney voice.

As a matter of fact, his accent even changed!

Listen to him speaking during the first leg of Zoo tv compared with Sydney

He's got a different accent.

"New sounds, new feelings, new colors, you know..."

unico said:

:lmao: anybody who compares ANYTHING to Chicago phails automatically for having such a weak argument. There were plenty of shows during the Vertigo tour which pounded the Chicago DVD to the ground. How about comparing Paris' "40" to "40" from 10-19 DC Vertigo show?

ooooh snap.

I challenge ANYONE to find a better version of 40 than that DC show. CAN I GET A WITNESS UP IN HURRRR!!!!!

Or why not compare the opening night on JT tour with a 5th leg show :)

I think it's funny that we're comparing individual performances against individual performances with years in between. Every performer has his on and off nights, and if you're picking one from the 80s and one from the 90s and trying to draw conclusions, uh, good luck with that.

My opinion is that Bono is a better singer working with an overall weaker voice.

Bono weak or strong, voice wise is still brilliant. If he has an 'off night' the band make up for it in other ways. I don't care sometimes if bono's voice is off, I just look to Edge, Larry, or Adam and usually they are on fire. That's fine with me, and as long as they can do that, they'll still be great!

I wish Bono would go back to singing like he did in the 80's so each of my U2 bootlegs can fit on a single burned CD.

That would cut the size of my entire collection in half.

u2fp

Rob33 said:
I think I'm gonna pull the negativity alarm

BEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!! BEEEEEEEEEP!!! ERRRRRRRR!!! ERRRRRRRR!!!!! BEEEEEEP!!!

Maybe it's all the leftover turkey talking, but I lol'd.

:lol:

See? That's me lol'ing.

My voice sounded far better at karaoke night on September 26th in Seattle than it did November 21st in Seattle. Clearly, I shouldn't have taken up chain smoking, whiskey chugging and howling at the moon.

My peak vocal years are over. :sad:

unico said:

ooooh snap.

ohh if you could please post a link for me download this I would greatly appreciate it, I haven't seen this version yet! thanks :D

ahittle said:
As much talk as the last few concert videos have sparked, this JT bonus DVD is a reminder of what a great band U2 were at this stage.

Really, just four guys on a stage bashing through an already superb canon of songs. And that's it. Bono's charisma (in all its un-selfconscious glory) communicates to that vast stadium.

It is just great to see a U2 concert that isn't edited to an inch of its death, to see the band actually interacting as a working rock band, to see a band that isn't locked into sequencers for the bulk of the songs, to see a setlist that just seems like a great collection of songs, not a fussed-over rigid emotional arc.

I love all the multimedia stuff that followed, but this is just a solid reminder of the greatness of that era. I mean, this really was live without a net. They worked their asses off.
Aw, man! I can't wait to get this in the mail! I am way more excited by this than any other aspect of the set.

According to Amazon, my order has arrived in Seattle! But it says "DHL Home" ... I hope it's not coming DHL, because I'll never be home to receive it. I just assumed it would come US mail because I didn't specify expedited delivery.

:(

Well here it is:
Desire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecUeE1mhSao
Wave Of Sorrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo-w7B4tNB4

Wooooooooow! He realy did a amazing job on Desire! :drool: There have been alot of discussion about that Bono dosnt scream anymore when he sings(like he did in the 80's), but this one, wow! "oooooooh sisters I can let you gooooo".
It blowed away every ZooTV version of Desire, so this one was closer to the original then the ZooTV one, this show how good Bono's voice is now!

He didnt sang the "Waaaaaaave" note exaclty like on the studio version, but he holded it for 8-9 seconds.

Last edited:
What's revelation for me is EDGE!!!!

He let's his fingers do the talking rather than his foot operated NASA UNIT.

Also cool to hear all mistakes intact for officially released pro-recording.(I watch my bootleg video copy this week and am still waiting for the Box's CDN release)

Are Pride, Bad and WOWY the only songs with backing/click track?

u2fp

Is there any way to get just the dvd? I bought the cd off itunes cuz I have been under a rock and didn't know there was a special edition with a dvd....

unico said:
How about comparing Paris' "40" to "40" from 10-19 DC Vertigo show?

ooooh snap.

10-19 DC ftw! Having been there is only part of the reason why i think it"s one of the best 40s ever. :wink:

I saw the JT paris dvd today and I don't see why some people think it was his voice peak. For an example his voice was much stronger on both UF/LT, it had more personality. The only songs that was better in vocal performence was any other tour was WOWY and ISHFWILF.

But I also realised how much Bono has grown as a singer since back then. I can't imagine Bono hit the "Wave" note in WOS with such a powerful sound back in the 80's. To much screams on the Paris show.
On LT tour Bono learned how to mix screams with full open voice and made it sound amazingm he didnt that on JT tour.

Also after seeing the Paris dvd I realised how much better Edge is now.

the tourist said:
Is there any way to get just the dvd? I bought the cd off itunes cuz I have been under a rock and didn't know there was a special edition with a dvd....

Nope, it's just another way to screw the diehard fans again! Make them buy songs they've already bought like 6 times before you let them get the DVD!

If you're a die hard and just wanted the 80's b-sides you had to but the 80's greatest hits cd too! If you wanted the Itunes b-sides you had to buy the complete collection! If you wanted the Milan DVD you had to but the U218 cd! If you want the Paris DVD you have to buy the re-released Joshua Tree! How many times can you really listen to With or Without You?!?!?! Hopefully a lot since you have to pay for it over and over and over again!

Kinda sucks they take advantage of theyre diehards like that!!!!

Well now that I've see this DVD in all its glory (and yes I'd had the boot DVD) I can say that it's beautiful. But you can really see how it's a strain for B, he really lets it rip and I love the sound but the veins standing out on his neck how they do, it seems like it's real "work" for him.

And I was afraid they'd edit WoWY but it's there and complete...I love WoWY from this show.

Dusty Bottoms said:

Nope, it's just another way to screw the diehard fans again! Make them buy songs they've already bought like 6 times before you let them get the DVD!

If you're a die hard and just wanted the 80's b-sides you had to but the 80's greatest hits cd too! If you wanted the Itunes b-sides you had to buy the complete collection! If you wanted the Milan DVD you had to but the U218 cd! If you want the Paris DVD you have to buy the re-released Joshua Tree! How many times can you really listen to With or Without You?!?!?! Hopefully a lot since you have to pay for it over and over and over again!

Amen!!

The drawback for me is the price here. It's a bit much since I'm mostly interested in the DVD alone.

Dusty Bottoms said:

On the contrary, they are releasing those extras FOR the diehards and giving tham a chance to buy those rarities.

As you pointed out, most fans won't bother buying the special editions because they already have the tracks on other releases.

So is it worth the mass-production, pressing and releasing of only the special editions and charging more to the average fan? In a word 'no'. It wouldn't make financial sense as your average fan wouldn't pay the high price therefore U2 wouldn't make money and so no more albums or tours (a bit extreme, but you get my point).

So we end up with standard editions, special editions, vinyl editions etc, which is great for all the fans as each fan can buy the edition that appeals to them the most without feeling 'ripped off'.

And if fans moan about the high price for the special edition then think again, as it still comes in at less than a $1 a week for one year and, here in the UK, just over £2 a month for one year!
Is that really 'that' expensive for what you're getting? Again, in a word 'no'.

You're not being screwed, my friend. Far from it. They're thinking about all their fans - ergo, all their market.

First of all, I didn't find it over-prized, in fact, I found the prize for the super deluxe edition quite reasonable and I did not hesitate a minute to order it.

Second, a special edition with b-sides, unreleased stuff PLUS digitally remastered songs of a classic album is not what I would call a rip-off. I would have bought this anyway, even if the DVD alone would be available.

I've seen similar editions which were not half as great but twice as expensive.

Apart from that: It's Christmas, if you don't want to pay for it yourself, let someone buy it for you as a present.

U2mixer said:

On the contrary, they are releasing those extras FOR the diehards and giving tham a chance to buy those rarities.

As you pointed out, most fans won't bother buying the special editions because they already have the tracks on other releases.

So is it worth the mass-production, pressing and releasing of only the special editions and charging more to the average fan? In a word 'no'. It wouldn't make financial sense as your average fan wouldn't pay the high price therefore U2 wouldn't make money and so no more albums or tours (a bit extreme, but you get my point).

So we end up with standard editions, special editions, vinyl editions etc, which is great for all the fans as each fan can buy the edition that appeals to them the most without feeling 'ripped off'.

And if fans moan about the high price for the special edition then think again, as it still comes in at less than a $1 a week for one year and, here in the UK, just over £2 a month for one year!
Is that really 'that' expensive for what you're getting? Again, in a word 'no'.

You're not being screwed, my friend. Far from it. They're thinking about all their fans - ergo, all their market.

How about making the Paris DVD, Milan DVD, Complete Box set rarities, and other b-sides available to buy without forcing the diehard fans to repurchase songs they've already bought 5 times before?

For the first time in my life I'm finding myself not interested in buying U2 products. Sure I'd love the Paris and Milan DVDs, but I really don't want to buy all these songs I already have again to get them. Same with the complete u2 b-sides. I mean the rarities on there are something only diehards would want, yet you are going to make them pay 150 dollars to get them? Meh, I don't like it.

^ I think that's a valid argument when it comes to the "Complete U2". They were giving you basically nothing new except the rarities, and you had to buy the whole thing for $150 or whatever it was to get them. The Best-ofs were what, $20 each? Not a big deal really. And at least you got new songs on U2:18, and the JT reissue was remastered...as a diehard who had everything already (I even had the Paris footage) I had no problem with that. But having to pay $150 to get 20 or so mp3's was waaaay too much IMO.

U2girl said:

The drawback for me is the price here. It's a bit much since I'm mostly interested in the DVD alone.

Apparently not enough of a drawback since I got the deluxe edition today.

Watched the DVD - with Daltons - (Outside it's america is nicer than I remember) and listened to the B-sides disc. It's pricey but worth it, very nice package too.

Question: I heard people say that the CDs and the DVD won't get hurt in the cardboard sleeve and that it CAN get scratched. Which is it ?:huh:

To get on topic more, I think I'm getting wary of his 80's voice as time goes by. Yes, he had power but it almost hurts to listen to him strain so heard, and he loses some clarity ("In the AAAARGH of love").

Last edited:
It should be OK if you leave the sleeves in the box. If they're out & loose I can see some grit or whatever getting in, and the discs will move around in the sleeves and could get scratched. I made cdr backups of both cds so I can bring them places, use them in the car etc.

I just hope that a few years from now we don't get a JT tour DVD...the reason I bought this is because there wasn't an official DVD of that tour.

It's interesting to watch a non-big screen, non polished direction show I'm surprised they didn't include the original WOWY video (since Streets and I still haven't found.. are in the documentary) and also, if they have the Daltons footage, why not release the LA show or better yet, a show that Phil Joanou directed on the tour ?

I knew enough to skip the U2 Ipod, as should others.

If anyone bought the 1987 singles or the 80-90 bonus disc you could have easily sold them at one time for double what you paid.

I think the Super Deluxe JT was worth the money. I encourage further archival releases from the u2 vault.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom