Live bad, Good in studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropean103

Refugee
This may be an old idea for a thread, but I would like to know user's opinion. What songs can you think that are good in studio, but worse or bad on concerts? I think these are easy choices, because at least 90% of U2 songs are great live. My picks are (no specific order):

Pride
Indian Summer Sky
Silver & Gold
Zooropa
Babyface
If God Will Send His Angels
Wake Up Dead Man

When they played under the Brooklyn Bridge the only song from the new album that I think is better in studio is Original of the Species. But on the tour I am almost sure that it will change.

Most U2 songs sound great live and some have matured into classics that are far far better than the studio versions

Streets,Gone,Untill the end of the world and New years day being prime examples.

But there are certain songs that just dont seem to work.

Pride:-allways sounds too slow (apart from the the Rattle & Hum version which is fantastic) The Zoo Tv at Sydney is so ponderous
its painfull.The only thing that lifts it is the MLK speech on the video screens.

The Fly:- I thought the Zoo Tv performances were weak at times.The album version however has so much power.The version from the Elevation tour at Boston is a great reworking and retains the power of the song. I think it is because Edge doesnt stop playing to do the falseto chorus.

One:-An absolute studio classic! although still a great live song it is just not quite the same live.

Still want to see it on the next tour though!

There's not a song on Pop I prefer Live, although not all of them sound 'bad' live. The ones that sounded bad were all dropped from the tour before long.

I agree with Pride. However, I disagree with One. It's one of their most amazing live songs! "Do you hear me coming, love? Do you hear me call? Do you hear me knocking, knocking at your door? Do you hear me coming, love? Do you hear my call? Do you hear my scratching, will you make me crawl?"

miss becky said:
I always preferred the studio version of A Sort of Homecoming.

Agreed. It's the only one I can think of off-hand.

And I'm not a big fan of "Pride" in general, but I'll agree with mackemlad that the Syndey version is especially sluggish.

I know it doesn't mean much yet, since we haven't heard it on tour, but I have found the few performances of Vertigo on various shows to be far inferior to the studio version.

I have to say I disagree with nearly every suggestion so far!

I would say that post Lovetown Tour, WOWY has gone way downhill in the live performances.

Wild Honey is better on the album than the way it was played on the Elevation Tour.

Zooropa?!?! MP3. NOW?!

Ps. Pop just gets BETTER live...I heard tons of the tracks on the Popmart Mexico video and then heard the actual record and it was DULL...

Pride
Do You Feel Loved
Wake Up Dead Man

I can't believe some of the choices that were made here: KITE?! This song came to life in its live format!
Pop is half better live, half better in studio.
Last Night on Earth, Gone, Miami, Velvet Dress and Please are so much better live it is indescribable.

never liked One, Pride and Zooropa. And, don't be mad with me, but I really hate the "do you hear me call" in One... Why? But that's ok, I'm expecting great performances on the next tour

yes, i am thirding (or fourthing or whatever) that pride is played too slow live. also, i'm gonna say (don't shoot me!!) anything they've done and turned into an acoustic song. sorry, it just doesn't do anything for me.

deltau922 said:
There's not a song on Pop I prefer Live, although not all of them sound 'bad' live. The ones that sounded bad were all dropped from the tour before long.

The only live POP track I liked as much as the album version was Last Night On Earth, which I think is more rock and roll than anything on the admittedly great new album. I wish they'd bring it back. It pissed me off when they left it off the Hasta La Vista Baby CD. I mean, why not cut out New Year's Day, a song we've already got a live version of, where Bono yells at the lighting crew for half the song?

Last edited:
A Sort Of A Homecoming
Do You Feel Loved
Hawkmoon 269

I like Mofo live but I definitely prefer the studio version. I always liked the live versions of Pride. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom