Live Aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudbugfish

Babyface
From This day in Music

July 13th 1985, At 12.01 Status Quo started the 'Live Aid' extravaganza, held between Wembley Stadium, London and The JFK Stadium, Philadelphia. The cream of the world's biggest rock stars took part in the worldwide event, raising over £40million.

TV pictures beamed to over 1.5bn people in 160 countries made it the biggest live broadcast ever known. Artists who appeared included Paul McCartney, Phil Collins, The Who, U2, David Bowie and Mick Jagger, Queen, Tina Turner, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, The Cars, Bryan Adams, Hall and Oates, Lionel Richie and Led Zeppelin.

What were you doing on this day?
Do you think this was a turning point for U2?

of course this was a turning point for U2...Bono mentions Live Aid all the time...how inspiring it was and how it really got to him...it was very emotional for him and truly a pivotal point in U2/Bono's career...just watched the Live Aid DVD a couple days ago...what a show...U2 was great...I love that intro by Bono..it's classic!

"we're an Irish band we come from Northern city Ireland" - Love the way he says that....and what a performance :applaud:

ha, I wasn't even thought of yet.

I think it was a turning point for U2, I saw the concert on video, many years before I knew who U2 where and 3 standout acts, Where U2, Queen and David Bowie.

I think it would have given U2 a chance to spread their fanbase, the concert was filled with superstars, so if you played on that day, you had to be a good band.

"We come from Dublin City, Ireland" :wink:

oh...is that it? Yeah, you're right haha...oh well....wait...what was I thinking? I just repeated what I wrote in my head and....yeah...:doh:

"We're an Irish band. We come from Dublin City, Ireland"

How's that? :wink:

That's our Rob!

:lol:

The one thing about the Bad performance- I'm not quite sure but I think the Satellite of Love snippet would've fit better at the end of Bad rather than the beginning....

And they originally planned on playing Pride as well right? But then Bono started messing with the crowd, dancing, etc....

:lol:

The one thing about the Bad performance- I'm not quite sure but I think the Satellite of Love snippet would've fit better at the end of Bad rather than the beginning....

And they originally planned on playing Pride as well right? But then Bono started messing with the crowd, dancing, etc....

Yeah, I don't think there was really much time to try doing it at the end. :uhoh:

I don't know why but I absolutely love this performance. It was one of their first performances I watched, and it really turned me from a person who liked their music to a real fan of the band. There's something that happens there huh? A real affection for and sympathy with the guys. I guess this show was by the end so raw and emotionally open you can't help but feel for them, and feel amazed at how they pulled it off. :yes:

And one more thing, I will always defend Bono's jump off the stage and say it wasn't just egotistical dicking about, but trying to get a girl out from being trampled on under a crowd crush. Neither Bono nor the band nor the media really portray it as such, but I've read what that girl said after the show and she said that Bono essentially did save her life. I don't why everyone gives him such a kick up the arse for this, I really love him for it. :heart:

Very awesomee, my research paper involved Live Aid!

what was I doing?....being non-existant

hrmmm on that day i was 7 years old, ten days from turning 8... probably outside playing and being a kid. i don't remember anyone watching it.

I wached it - U2 were amazing!

Of course it was a turning point. Even if they thought they screwed up not being able to play Pride, all their albums went up in the charts again shortly afterwards.

hrmmm on that day i was 7 years old, ten days from turning 8... probably outside playing and being a kid. i don't remember anyone watching it.

great response, david. At least you didn't say that at eight years of age you were already a U2 fan for seven years like some folks do.:wink:

As for me, I was in Philly that day. My friend and I had gone to Philly at the last moment hoping to get some tickets or other way into the event.

That did not happen for us so we unfortunately had to go back to where we were staying to watch the concert on TV!

After we saw U2 perform on the TV, we knew that we had to go back to the venue to be a small part of this moment in music history - even if it was outside the venue.

We had a GREAT time and made several friends that day with whom we are still in contact.

It was a pivotal moment in U2 history....and in our own lives.:up:

Live Aid will never be topped, Queen stole the show. u2's set was equally as legendary.

One of the most beautiful descriptions of this performance was written by Joan Baez describing her reactions to it. She captured much of what I felt as well especially her feelings about Bono's embrace of the girl.

Joan Baez Writes About U2 at Live Aid | U2 news article from @U2

Dana

Wow that was nice, thanks for that.

I sort of remember watching it on TV, but I have a terrible memory and can't even remember if I saw U2 live or if it was just later on replays of it. :doh:

great response, david. At least you didn't say that at eight years of age you were already a U2 fan for seven years like some folks do.:wink:

As for me, I was in Philly that day. My friend and I had gone to Philly at the last moment hoping to get some tickets or other way into the event.

That did not happen for us so we unfortunately had to go back to where we were staying to watch the concert on TV!

After we saw U2 perform on the TV, we knew that we had to go back to the venue to be a small part of this moment in music history - even if it was outside the venue.

We had a GREAT time and made several friends that day with whom we are still in contact.

It was a pivotal moment in U2 history....and in our own lives.:up:
It amuses me when people say they were rabid U2 fans at teh age of 5 :wink:

Nice story Jamila, I watched it from my living room on the telly, staying up to about 3.00 am to see U2's slot and then to about 5.00 am to see Simple Minds, at which point I flaked. Bummer cos I wanted to see the Wembley finale...

I was a rabid U2 fan at the time and was dying to see them play but I had to be away from home the whole day. I managed to persuade my dad to videotape the whole thing and watched it when I went to see him the next time. Although I was cranky about missing it as it was happening it worked out well because then I had a copy of it which I wouldn't have had if I'd been home on the day (we didn't get a VCR until later that year). I watched parts of the tapes (including U2's bit) quite a few times. :)

Most likely sleeping or filling up the diaper since i was 5 months old.. ;)

Were around the same age, though I wasnt born until December of '85....i became a fan of u2 when I was about a year old...my mom was watching her tape recording of live aid and for some reason when U2 came on I was mesmerized...from then on she would put the tape on so she could take a quick shower to get ready and I wouldnt move...as I got older I would mimic Bono..singing with a spoon as a microphone...then when she got me Red Rocks i was hooked...I had to hold the vinyl of it at the barber shop to keep me in the seat....She has video's of me impersonating Bad from Rattle and Hum...holding my chain in my hand and dangling it singing haha.

I remember watching the video and laughing a few years back from me saying to my mom who was holding the camera "Bono doesnt say shut up" ...haha a solid attempt by my mother to keep me from being bratty

I think I watched it or parts of it, I'm certain I saw some stuff on the TV, but I was more interested in seeing Queen perform, I really loved them back then. I cannot remember seeing or hearing U2. I hadn't heard of them yet.

I was 9 at the time, it was the moment I discovered how great U2 are. I would say that watching U2 perform Bad at live aid was the most important point,in terms of music, in my life.

I remember watching Live Aid on TV. I'd just turned 15 and was very much into music by then. U2 was one of those "new wave" bands and I wasn't really into them at the time. Highlights for me were Bryan Adams, Paul McCartney, and Sting with Phil Collins.

I remember the Philly finale - how Patty LaBelle, the loudmouthed bitch, hogged the microphone and drowned out everyone else.

One of U2's best performances of one of the bands best songs!!!
THANK GOD THEY PLAYED "BAD" AND NOT "PRIDE (IN THE NAME OF LOVE)
Best decision they ever made!!!!!

I was 15. I remember getting up in the morning, heading into town for a wander before heading home for midday to watch Live Aid. I was creaming myself at the thought of seeing u2. I knew they were due on about 17:20, as i had seen a schedule in the paper or somewhere, so it was a matter of sitting tight till then. And they didnt dissapoint. Later aquired my mates brothers recording of u2s performance. Dont think he ever got it back! It was well worn out by time i had finnished with it.

One of U2's best performances of one of the bands best songs!!!
THANK GOD THEY PLAYED "BAD" AND NOT "PRIDE (IN THE NAME OF LOVE)
Best decision they ever made!!!!!

It wasn't a case of playing one or the other. They were always going to play Bad but they were supposed to finish with Pride and ran out of time because of Bono's little jaunt. Turned out to be well worth it but none of them had any way of knowing that. They all thought Bono had screwed up.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom