Live Aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Summer of 1985, I was 12 and a diehard Duran Duran fan, so I was watching for them. :wink:

I remember being pissed that we didn't have MTV so I couldn't watch it all day, and figured I'd have to make do with the prime time coverage that ABC (? I think?) showed that night. But one of the local stations showed coverage all Saturday afternoon, which was AWESOME.

No idea if I caught U2's set or not - I was just thrilled I got to see any of it in a non-cable-having household! :wink:

A few years later when I was babysitting for neighbors, one of the dads told me he had a whole VHS tape of stuff he'd taped off MTV's broadcast, and I think I watched it every time I babsat for them, after the baby had gone to bed. :drool:

Wow...where was I? Part of the day I was working at Baskin Robbins Ice Cream. I was able to bring in this little portable black and white TV that I had and we watched some of the show during breaks. I remember being at home when U2 came on and my dad watched with me. I was all excited and tried to fill him in on who U2 were and their history, etc. And Bono's all around the stage and over the side and I tell my dad, this song is called Bad and he says, "It sure is". :huh: Definite generation gap there.
When the DVD came out I was so stoked. Definitely the best performances by far are U2 and Queen. When Queen play Radio Gaga and the whole crowd at Wembley Stadium have their hands in the air, clapping in rhythm to the song, there's really nothing that matches it. And when Freddy does the singing thing with the audience and he does that really long stretch and the audience follows along - his "all right" at the end is priceless. It must have been an incredible feeling for them. Which probably explains why U2 were freaking out about Bono's "disappearance". Well, it sure worked out for them.

Definitely the Live 8 concerts can't compare. I watched it only briefly and really felt that a lot of the bands were there just to say they did it. I have to say though that I was impressed by Maroon 5. At one point Adam Levine stared out at the crowd and said he just had to take a moment to take it all in. He really appreciated that they were in front of an absolutely massive crowd and part of a big moment. It seemed very humble to me.

I think for those of us that saw LiveAid, this is something that will be in our memories forever. And thank goodness Bono doesn't where those highheeled boots anymore!!!:lol:

i wasnt even born lol
but ive seen the dvd it was really good
i think it was a turning point
they rocked

did anyone notice all of the u2 flags in the crowd.
and when they were singing "do they know its christmas at all"
bono got the biggest cheer lol

Summer of 1985, I was 12 and a diehard Duran Duran fan, so I was watching for them. :wink:

I remember being pissed that we didn't have MTV so I couldn't watch it all day, and figured I'd have to make do with the prime time coverage that ABC (? I think?) showed that night. But one of the local stations showed coverage all Saturday afternoon, which was AWESOME.

Wow - that about sums up my Live Aid experience as well! I remember waking up really early, like maybe 5:00 am, so me & my sister could watch from the start, on a local station. I was aware in a really general sense of U2, but I was watching for Duran. Ha. I do remember seeing U2's performance, and thinking, now WHO IS THIS?? And being captivated. The audience waving the flags! This guy singing his heart out! I wish I had appreciated it more at the time, but at least it made an impression!

Back
Top Bottom