Live 8, a year after...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
can someone be a TOTAL star and record this and make a fancy DVD out of it? would be incredibly grateful!

someone makes the DVD, i do the artwork!

very big please and thank you!

Iskra said:
I was the Production Coordinator in Philadelphia.
I will never forget standing on stage in front of 1 million people.
Bono signed my Live8 shirt in Atlanta.
Just got the frame back with my Live8 credentials.
What a day.

wo!

lucky guy! you dont get a copy of the soundboard audio recording from that show do you? or anything else from that show?

im a major live aid/live 8 collector and i roganised a show based on them on a MUCH smaller scale at our school, was still a sellout and a MAJOR success! would be grateful for anything from anything of that event!

dvd cover finsihed after hours of slaving!

here we go!

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=live8dvdcomplete2pq.jpg

my.php

Last edited:
Aygo said:

Disgreed. I know lots of people hate this transition, but I can't see anything wrong in it. In fact, I like it.

:huh: It's barely a transition at all! The two songs don't flow together, and it just comes off as so forced and unnatural to me. It doesn't have the cohesion that Please/Streets or 11OTT/The Ocean or numerous other segues have had.

Despite the final set matches with the "making the difference for one day" theme, I was not expecting to see songs like Vertigo. It could've been something like BD/Pride/One or MD/Streets/One, or maybe including Crumbs (it's not one of my fav songs, but it would've work there) in the set.

I agree with this though. The main reason I call the set crap is because of Vertigo - regardless of whether or not it was a hit, I think it was not a very good choice for that day. I don't like One, but there's no way to avoid the fact U2 would've played that come hell or high water, so I'll leave that out of my complaint. Beautiful Day can be passed off as being a good song to open a day of hope, but Vertigo?

U2 didn't need to play their recent hit. Consider Live Aid: Bad ran overtime and the band never got the chance to play their recent hit, Pride. And that was the show that cemented U2's reputation! U2 don't need hits. I think they should've gone with Crumbs From Your Table - a recent, thematically appropriate song (of course, they would've had to have started playing it live earlier, because it's not as if they would want to debut a song live at Live 8!). Or they could've just brought Bad back. That would've been awesome.

Vertigo is a great live song though so why wouldnt ya choose it ? :huh:

Axver said:

Or they could've just brought Bad back. That would've been awesome.

It probably would, but it could have been a disaster too, if they didn't manage to do it with the same kind of passion, and if the crowd didn't recall U2's performance in '85.

when i think about it, the way bad sounds now than it did in 85 has changed soo much i dont think it would pull off aswell as it could ever do, the drum sound/rythem is totally different, the guitar sound from the edge is not the same, and bonos voice aint the same, espeically his "wooo hooo" bit in the song, at live aid, it was perfect so when i rethink about it, they shouldnt retry recreating a bit of history,

vaz02 said:
Vertigo is a great live song though so why wouldnt ya choose it ? :huh:

Desire and Angel Of Harlem are great live songs too, but neither them nor Vertigo seem appropriate for Live 8.

Axver said:

Desire and Angel Of Harlem are great live songs too, but neither them nor Vertigo seem appropriate for Live 8.

problem with that is the audience aint u2 fans generally are they ? so you need summat maybe more MTV.

Axver said:

:huh: It's barely a transition at all! The two songs don't flow together, and it just comes off as so forced and unnatural to me. It doesn't have the cohesion that Please/Streets or 11OTT/The Ocean or numerous other segues have had.

I agree with this though. The main reason I call the set crap is because of Vertigo - regardless of whether or not it was a hit, I think it was not a very good choice for that day. I don't like One, but there's no way to avoid the fact U2 would've played that come hell or high water, so I'll leave that out of my complaint. Beautiful Day can be passed off as being a good song to open a day of hope, but Vertigo?

U2 didn't need to play their recent hit. Consider Live Aid: Bad ran overtime and the band never got the chance to play their recent hit, Pride. And that was the show that cemented U2's reputation! U2 don't need hits. I think they should've gone with Crumbs From Your Table - a recent, thematically appropriate song (of course, they would've had to have started playing it live earlier, because it's not as if they would want to debut a song live at Live 8!). Or they could've just brought Bad back. That would've been awesome.

About the Pride/Streets transition, I think it's a question of opinions and preferences, I like it.

In what concerns the rest of the post, you have said it all, I agree with you.
Vertigo was not necessary, despite I liked the performance. Beautiful Day is okay, because it has a different feeling in the overall.
One is the kind of song that was needed there, even though overplayed.
Bad, I don't think it would've worked. U2 is not a band to repeat themselves in things like this.
I'd say something like MD/Streets/One or Pride/Crumbs/One, smthg like this...

vaz02 said:

problem with that is the audience aint u2 fans generally are they ? so you need summat maybe more MTV.

No you don't. They didn't in 1985. A non-single cemented their status as legends. So why do they need a big hit now to appeal to people? And come on, aren't Beautiful Day and One appealling enough to that crowd?

I just popped in the DVD now...I was at the London Live 8 and man, what a day that was! VERY long, but not draggy in too many places. I remembered it started off really strong (Hearing Bittersweet Symphony live was a dream come true...and of course U2!) and then ended strong. Getting to London that week was a trip in itself, tried to make arrangements myself, but I couldn't make it work financially and had just given up the ghost when I was offered a free trip for that very week in exchange for aunt duties (my sis had no idea I'd been trying to go anyway), and a UK friend won tickets for me in the lottery. It was meant to be! Ticket is still beside my computer...

Last edited:
Iskra said:
I was the Production Coordinator in Philadelphia.
I will never forget standing on stage in front of 1 million people.
Bono signed my Live8 shirt in Atlanta.
Just got the frame back with my Live8 credentials.
What a day.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :faint:

prideofzootv said:
did anyone manage to record the documentary that was on yesterday?

I did. Sadly, I have no idea how to make it into a DVD. Besides, the show was just clips (about 30 seconds) from nearly every perfomance. I thought it was actually meant to be a DOCUMENTRY, but it turned out to be the same thing as they showed on MTV and VH1. :| Oh well, some of the videos of Africa they showed I had not seen before, which almost brought me to tears.

dam!

and from what i saw its pretty much the same as "live aid-20 years ago today" program isnt it, clips from acts etc etc. iv made a DVD cover for the Live 8 version so i would really love this program if anyone could make a DVD out of it!

Axver said:

No you don't. They didn't in 1985. A non-single cemented their status as legends.
Live Aid didn't make them legends
it merely made the general public really notice them

Salome said:
Live Aid didn't make them legends
it merely made the general public really notice them

No, it didn't make them legends, but it was certainly a moment to be in the history of music and - IMO - the highest moment of Live Aid.
It was a huge risk for a recent-known band not to play their recent hit (Pride) - that could be a great song too there - and switch it for a veeeery long version of a song that a few people knew there.

very few people knew it yes, but alot of people then tuned in when Bono jumped off stage and gave the Edge a long solo, alot of people started to like it, it was the first song i heard by U2, and it was that song from Live Aid that turned me into a U2 fan, im sure lots of other people who saw that long version back then went "wow i want to see more of them"

I think it would have been amazing if U2 closed the show. They would have had a longer set too. Paul McCartney's set could have ended with the Sgt. Pepper's duet and then U2 could have played something like this.

Where the Streets Have No Name
Vertigo
One

I think that would have been awesome.

had U2 ended... it should've been like this

Pride
Streets
One

in fact, who else could've opened Live 8?... maybe it had to be this:

Opener:
Intro Video
Beautiful Day (long intro)
Vertigo

Closer:
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name
One
The Long and Winding Road (w/Macca)
Hey Jude

:drool:

prideofzootv said:
very few people knew it yes, but alot of people then tuned in when Bono jumped off stage and gave the Edge a long solo, alot of people started to like it, it was the first song i heard by U2, and it was that song from Live Aid that turned me into a U2 fan, im sure lots of other people who saw that long version back then went "wow i want to see more of them"

It doesn't change the fact that it was a huge risk for the band and for the organization of the event. The price was high. Well, he could have done the same thing with a long version of Pride (it'd probably work in the same way), but Bad worked, and that's ok, well, that's great.

I think it was a great idea of U2& McCartney to open the show with that song. Then, the band that protagonized that performance 20 yrs ago followed alone, making the real opening set. It was very cool.
The only thing that I complain in that performance is that they could have been more emotive and less "hurry up, because we have a flight to Vienna later". Making a few changes in the set, it could be another great performance. Look at what Green Day and Madonna did.

what was the last song of the Live 8 special?

I think that one was on the final video of the LIVE AID DVD, right?

anyway... what's that song's name?

pepokiss said:
what was the last song of the Live 8 special?

I think that one was on the final video of the LIVE AID DVD, right?

anyway... what's that song's name?

anyone knows this? please... I can use it for a work...

Back
Top Bottom