Listen to Leonard Cohen and U2 ruin 'Tower of Song' here [streaming!]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
Oh my God, I'm really disappointed :sad:

Streaming link

I had great expectations for U2 and LC collaborating on the last song of 'I'm Your Man', and maybe the performance fits better in the context of the end of the film, but still - I can't say anything other than it's horrible.

They had a beautiful chance to put this song on record in its stripped-down, powerful, non-new-agey-BS production form, as opposed to the instrumentation on I'm Your Man.

Edge, especially. He tosses off a crap slide solo apparently scrapped from pt. II of 'Ground Beneath Her Feet', and only falls into place wonderfully when Bono comes in.

Bono is brilliant, touching, and restrained. That is all I can say, and when he and Edge do lock into step it makes me wish that U2 would release a version with all leads done by Bono.

Whoever was playing the organ annoyed me by refusing to play just one chord for a while and fucking around in the first damn verse of the song. What - the - hell!

Gah, I suppose I had my hopes too high, but as soon as that drum machine kicked in, in the right channel, I began to feel dread.

What are your thoughts on the track?

And, if you have to comment about how annoyed you are that I'm posting something negative relating to U2, please don't complain and instead post something on-topic. The only thing worse than non-U2-praising threads are ones where people complain about the failure to meet the U2-worshipping quota for the week, mkay?

Last edited:
Yeah this is pretty bad. It sounds almost cheesy.

Bono sounds good, but there's not enough of him.

I'm not impressed. :|

I actually like it! :ohmy:

It's not too diferent from the original version. I like the slide solo and the organ, nothing special but it doesn't really fucks the song up in my opinion.

Man, Leonard Cohen's voice is spetacular. :drool:

love Bono's vocals :drool:

I liked the song, but like corianderstem I don't have anything to compare it to.

Is there anything in the movie about Leonard Cohen hypnotising the maid when he was a teenager? That's from Beautiful Losers, perhaps it's not true.

I kinda like it. It's campy and weird. Bring on the campy and weird. Plus, Leonard needs the money after his handlers shafted him. I'm willing to bet that played at least a small part in U2 getting involved...'superstars' to the rescue of a subversive genius.

Cohen is a much better writer than singer...he'll get more attention because of this, and deservedly so. The spotlight isn't really on U2 here at all...they're merely shifting it to a guy who inspired them.

*edit

edge sounds delicious in this song.

i REALLY hope this sound transfers to the album. He could go anywhere with it.

t8thgr8 said:
*edit

edge sounds delicious in this song.

i REALLY hope this sound transfers to the album. He could go anywhere with it.
I'd describe his playing style in this song as something called "guitar diarrhea".

Back
Top Bottom