Lisa 'Left-eye'..RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i can't believe it. when i read the headline on yahoo i think my heart skipped a few beats. how sad
frown.gif

It's a horrible tragedy. She was so young.

RIP, Lisa.

------------------
Pink elephants and lemonade.
Dear Jessie, hear the laughter running through the love parade.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers: Emily's Wallpapers

Holy crap....

When it happens to a famous person, it reminds you of just how fragile life really is. It's as if we are all living on a thread that can be broken at any moment, in a million different ways.

She was very talented. It's a shame.

AJ

this is very sad news.
frown.gif
i really like TLC- their song "waterfalls" will forever remind me of senior year of high school.... and "no scrubs" is just a great dance song- it was like the theme song to my senior week trip to myrtle beach when i was in college.

very talented group... such a shame.
frown.gif

Shit like this scares the crap out of me.
Because I have thought about what would happen if something happened to one of U2.
Ugh.. I cant even think about it.

frown.gif

Originally posted by Sicy:
Shit like this scares the crap out of me.
Because I have thought about what would happen if something happened to one of U2.
Ugh.. I cant even think about it.

frown.gif

I thought I was the only one who had those thoughts...
it freaks me out when I think that way...

I'm even worse- I not only worry about it happening to U2, but me or someone I know. It could happen to any of us here. Sorry to be such a downer, but this is depressing.
frown.gif

Originally posted by Hawk269:
Holy crap....

When it happens to a famous person, it reminds you of just how fragile life really is. It's as if we are all living on a thread that can be broken at any moment, in a million different ways.

She was very talented. It's a shame.

AJ

I don't think that is the case - it really depends on how much emotional importance you put on celebrities and their lives.

It's sad when ANYONE dies. Just look at the school shooting in Germany today - 18 ppl died - and that reminded me of how fragile life is, too.

Everyone's life is worth the same, above and below.

Left Eye's passing is sad, yes, but I didn't know her, and so therefore didn't attach much emotion to her passing. People die everyday in weird and stupid ways.

Hearing about young people passing due to carelessness, mirth, murder, or disease is far sadder to me. Those are lives who were just starting, and this reminds me the most of how fragile the balance of life is, and that no one is guaranteed another day in this life.

Just my .02

------------------
ooh eee ooh ah ah ching chang walla walla bing bang.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
I don't think that is the case - it really depends on how much emotional importance you put on celebrities and their lives.

It's sad when ANYONE dies. Just look at the school shooting in Germany today - 18 ppl died - and that reminded me of how fragile life is, too.

Left Eye's passing is sad, yes, but I didn't know her, and so therefore didn't attach much emotion to her passing. People die everyday in weird and stupid ways.

Hearing about young people passing due to carelessness, mirth, murder, or disease is far sadder to me. Those are lives who were just starting, and this reminds me the most of how fragile the balance of life is, and that no one is guaranteed another day in this life.

Just my .02

That was very well said HelloAngel, and so true.

Chris

Just my .02

Of course it is sad when anyone dies. But I think you grossly misinterpreted what I was saying. I was not saying that Lisa Left Eye's life was any more valuable than anyone else's. That was an assumption on your part. What I said was that when a tragedy happens to a famous person, it is a reminder of our own mortality (in a unique way). She is a contemporary and had the financial ability to stay relatively healthy and safe. When you watch the news and hear about people dying that you never knew in some other place, it is a totally different reaction (not necessarily less intense). Yes, it is tragic when anyone dies, but death happens to people you never knew all the time (guess what, people that you don't know are dying every second for a million different causes, many of them tragic, including AIDS and a multitude of curable diseases here in the west).

Through the media, we KNOW of famous people, so there is some familiarity with their identity. When it is not some faceless person, there is a different reaction. As an analogy, you grieve more for your passing family members than you do for your neighbors' cousin, right? Because there was a relationship and an attachment. Same deal here - you knew who Lisa Left Eye and Aaliyah were. Maybe you don't care for their music or them as people, but when they die in their 20's (or 30 for Left Eye), it is a reminder that youth, money, power, fame, respect, or anything else you acquire in this world does not make you immune from tragedy. That is what I was saying. Please do not be so quick to jump to conclusions next time.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Hawk269 (edited 04-26-2002).]

What I said was that when a tragedy happens to a famous person, it is a reminder of our own mortality (in a unique way). AJ

Well - judging from a statement like that, it's easy for someone to see that and think different of what your intentional statement was.

There isn't a right answer, here. I did not jump to conclusions, because I didn't judge you or criticize you, and I apologize if you construed it in that light.

Personally, and I think I speak for many here when I say that I don't need to know of someone - be it through the media, or someone at work, in order to grieve for their untimely loss. When a famous person dies, it does not remind me of the fragility of life at all. It garners the same response from me - "such a shame. My thoughts go out to their loved ones" - as does any untimely death that I hear about.

Anytime someone nearly runs me off the road reminds me of my own mortality.

My point was for those on this board who really overly care about celebrities they do not know much about. Celebrities are just like the rest of us - just with access to better clothing, more neighborhood security, and a bigger paycheck. It sickens me when I see people on the news devestated to the point of tears over a life they didn't really know other than a public persona possibly created by a record label.

Left-Eye was someone that was talented. Yes, it's sad. But any untimely death should cause someone to reflect on mortality. Not just when a celebrity passes. The reports from Germany today are devestating - seeing that "Help" sign in the window is very very sad. And to tell you the truth - the thought of a gunman storming through a school in a bloody rampage is a greater reminder that no one is safe from untimely death - not even in a school.

------------------

But any untimely death should cause someone to reflect on mortality. Not just when a celebrity passes.
[/B]

I am curious, do you reflect a few million times a day for every young life cut short from all the diseases and tragedies in the world? I doubt it.

Is everyone equal? YES.
Are we affected the same way by those we know of versus those that we do not know of? NO. See my family analogy above.

AJ
wink.gif

I am curious, do you reflect a few million times a day for every young life cut short from all the diseases and tragedies in the world? I doubt it.

Is everyone equal? YES.
Are we affected the same way by those we know of versus those that we do not know of? NO. See my family analogy above.

AJ
wink.gif

No, we are not affected the same.
No one feels the same way about anything.

You can be curious, but you can't be sure to know what I think about in a day be it politics, young life cut short, sarcasm where it shouldn't be, etc.

I have very little emotion over celebrities when they pass - some have more, I keep it in perspective.

You might want to watch your tone, however.
You never know who you are addressing around here. Perhaps it's easy to assume I am some kid sitting at home on Daddy's computer before dinner and therefore deserve your tone.

My point was about people getting overly upset about celebrities dying, that's all. Take it how you will. I'm through with discussing something this trivial. Especially when there's always a convenient Edit button nearby.

------------------

You can be curious, but you can't be sure to know what I think about in a day be it politics, young life cut short, sarcasm where it shouldn't be, etc.

Forgive me for my curioisity then. I will refrain from applying the reasonable person standard to you in future posts.

You might want to watch your tone, however.
You never know who you are addressing around here. Perhaps it's easy to assume I am some kid sitting at home on Daddy's computer before dinner and therefore deserve your tone.

I merely addressed your points and questioned the validity of your arguments.

In addition, my responses would be no different whether your were one years old or one hundred. I give children the same respect that I give to adults.

As for this issue, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, I will utilize my right to disagree with you when you quote my post and subsequently take it out of context to espouse your beliefs.

Cheers,
AJ

Forgive me for my curioisity then. I will refrain from applying the reasonable person standard to you in future posts.

I merely addressed your points and questioned the validity of your arguments.

In addition, my responses would be no different whether your were one years old or one hundred. I give children the same respect that I give to adults.

As for this issue, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, I will utilize my right to disagree with you when you quote my post and subsequently take it out of context to espouse your beliefs.

Cheers,
AJ

AJ,

I have thoroughly enjoyed discussing this issue with you.

However, I don't feel I deserve the personal attack you felt necessary to launch at the end. To suggest I am not a reasonable person is ridiculous. You don't know me, or anything about me. I have yet to form an opinion about you in this thread enough to say similar things about you; simply because I do not know you.

We were merely exchanging opinions on this topic. You expressed, than I replied. You replied, etc... this was not a platform from which I was espousing beliefs. I was expressing opinions - but not unchangeable or unchallengable beliefs. I don't feel I was wrong in discussing comments on this public forum. I really don't see where we differ in motives in this thread - other than to speak our minds.

I apologize if you have read me the wrong way. You are entitled to think and express that you feel I am not deserving of the "reasonable person standard." If you truly feel that way about me - a complete stranger from you other than what I expressed in this thread today - I can not do anything to change that.

Take Care.

This is so sad. She was so bubbly and big eyes and full of life. It does show no one ever knows.
frown.gif
First the Alice in Chains guy, now her. Hate to be morbid, but stars always go in 3's- who's next?

Here is a story

TLC singer Lisa Lopes dies in Honduras, place she loved
Fri Apr 26, 2:17 PM ET
By FREDDY CUEVAS, Associated Press Writer

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras - Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes died in a place that she loved.

lthumb.1019831500.soul_train_awards_la102.jpg

AP Photo
TLC's Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes Killed In Car Crash

For years, the 30-year-old singer of the Grammy-winning trio TLC would escape to her condo on Honduras' northern coast, attending a nearby healing village and returning "spiritually cleansed," her publicist Jay Marose said Friday.

She was in Honduras most recently with her brother, sister and several members of a little-known R and B band called Egypt when she was killed Thursday evening. She lost control of the rental car she was driving and crashed on a highway near Jutiapa, 150 miles (250 kms) north of Tegucigalpa, the capital, and a few miles from her condo.

"The car rolled for reasons that we still don't know, and that are being investigated," police spokesman Luis Aguilar said.

Marose said Lopes was killed instantly and the seven other people in the car suffered non-life threatening injuries, including three members of the band, Egypt; Lopes' brother and sister; and two producers working on a multimedia project with Lopes.

Local police gave conflicting reports, saying there were only seven people in the car. Officials didn't identify who they were.

The survivors were taken to a private hospital in nearby La Ceiba, and were expected to be released in a few days.

Lopes' body was taken to La Ceiba, where it was being prepared to be flown to the United States.

Marose said Lopes often spent weeks or months in Honduras, and had purchased her condo near a healing village that promotes and practices a form of African herbal medicine.

"She absolutely loved the country," he said. "She wanted to live there."

U.S. Embassy spokesman Carlos Bakota said friends of Lopes told him she sometimes helped the local community through the spiritual center, working with the Garifuna people who live along Honduras' northern coast.

Lopes' mother has family ties to the Garifuna people, descendants of black slaves and Carib Indians who have maintained their own language and their own culture, Bakota said. Experts estimate more than 160,000 Garifunas live in Central America, and at least 50,000 have migrated to the United States.

The singer had traveled to Honduras most recently to work on a line of clothing and finish up a book about her life, Marose said. She also wanted to introduce members of the band Egypt to the healing village.

"It was something very personal to her," Marose said. "And it was something she liked to share with people.

"Lisa loved to travel, loved to find new places. She loved cultures that were really truly spiritual."

More from > AP
Fri Apr 26, 3:18 PM ET - (AP)

Back
Top Bottom