Liking the lyrics, not liking the music...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
...or vice versa. Are there some U2 songs where you like the lyrics but don't care for the music, or like the music but don't care for the lyrics?

The two examples that come to mind for me are Love Rescue Me (like the lyrics, don't like the music) and IGWSHA (like the music, don't like the lyrics.)

Anyone want to give their choices?

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Well, I'm not sure if this is related or not, but sometimes I wish Grace had just been an instrumental track. It's so warm and comforting that first minute or so with no words, then when the lyrics start up, it changes a little. It's not that I don't like the vocals, I just think the song would have sounded a lot different (and better to me) without them.

Interesting topic...

Off the top of my head I would have to say "When Love Comes To Town". Love the lyrics, not too big on the song.

I'll have to give the rest some thought.
smile.gif

that's Ok, I still have trouble with IALW

I'm still scratching my head over "I just got my Prop tix today" thread

confused.gif

wow, that thread is gone! This is TOO weird...I gotta quit taking those painkillers!

[This message has been edited by jezebel (edited 02-05-2002).]

Awww come on! IGWSHA is one of their crappiest ever! it should be re-titled If God Will Send A Tune so in the spirit of this thread, yeah change the music most indefinitly!

Others to ponder too.

1-If You Wear That Velvet Dress

2-The Wanderer

Er... so thats 3 including IGWSHA!

Awwww come on, bomb person, If You Wear is their sexiest song ever!!!!

However, I agree with you about The Wanderer. Actually, I think that whole song sucks, lyrics and music.

I'm going to go take another painkiller now
biggrin.gif

If we are talking generally, a lot of rap music has good lyrics but some of the delivery just drives me up the wall.

Miami's lyrics are good. Tune less so.

Originally posted by Dustybot:
Well, I'm not sure if this is related or not, but sometimes I wish Grace had just been an instrumental track. It's so warm and comforting that first minute or so with no words, then when the lyrics start up, it changes a little. It's not that I don't like the vocals, I just think the song would have sounded a lot different (and better to me) without them.

I agree. I enjoy the song with the vocals, but I can't get over the fact that they don't quite fit the music, and I think this song would have been a much better album closer as an instrumental

-Mike

Originally posted by what a bomb!:
Awww come on! IGWSHA is one of their crappiest ever! it should be re-titled If God Will Send A Tune so in the spirit of this thread, yeah change the music most indefinitly!

Huh? Wuh? Noooooo!!!!!

Well, I like it anyways. But I can see how some wouldn't, since it is kinda funky but slow. It seems to be a song with a focus on the lyrics more. Guess it just clicked with me.

Gotta agree on The Wanderer though. That song never stuck with me.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Off-topic, but...

Hey Mike P! Haven't seen you around a whole lot lately. Bummer about your site dude. Hope you still hang around to post with us freaks.

Acrobat
great lyrics but musically - well it's not that I don't like it, but - not on par with the quality of the lyrics

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Hmm...i'd have to say i like the music of New York (very inventive), and don't mind the lyrics, but Bono's melody to the lyrics is dodgy for the first three-quarters of the song.

On Zooropa, Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car had pretty good lyrics, but the music could've used a frenzied Edge guitar line or two. Even live, that song fell short (with MacPhisto singing).

Happily, there aren't many in either category -- but there are some standouts:
I love the sound of New York, but I wished Bono had tried another page in his notebook of lyrics.
Some Days are Better Than Others: the only U2 song I can say that irritates me -- I often skip it. The music's really cool -- lyrics, um, no.
The Wanderer's kind of an unfair target -- they deliberately made it unattractive. the Hilton Lounge Band from Hell-- isn't that what they themselves called it? The lyrics, however, are AWESOME. As dark and scary as JC's voice.

Miami has one of my favourite metaphors: Her eyes are swimming-pool blue... and a whole bunch of witty lyrics. The music kind of puts me off, though.
And I love the sound and idea of Playboy Mansion, but I always squirm a little at Bono's pop-culture allusions Michael Jackson, history...if OJ is more than a drink... They're clever in their way, but too ephemeral for the posterity of an album. Talk shows...confession is a great observation, though. I'm just picky.
biggrin.gif

Deb D

------------------

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Originally posted by Judah:
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car had pretty good lyrics, but the music could've used a frenzied Edge guitar line or two.

Okay, maybe, but...I LOVE that song, top to bottom! Adam and especially Larry in league with the little devil, all of them seducing me to their absolute will. ooweeee... and *bump&grind* doesn't usually need a lead guitar...
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom