Like A Song!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Hey folks,

I just rediscovered Like A Song ... and WOW. Like A Song? WHAT A SONG! I can't believe I'd forgotten about this true gem for so long. It rocks so hard, the lyrics are wonderful because they're true, and all in all, it's a brilliant piece of music. Why oh why was it only played live ONCE? I can see it and The Cry/The Electric Co. combining quite nicely indeed.

But yes, this is a fantastic song and doesn't deserve to be ignored. Crank up your War CD or 26 February 1983 bootleg!

Have a good one,
Andr?

Yeah, I think Like a Song is underappreciated. Maybe the band doesn't play it live because they regret the song's stupid title. I think Seconds is a really great but rarely mentioned song from War, too.

Like A Song is one of U2's best rock songs ever!!!! Bono's vocals and lyrics are very, very strong, Larry's drums are just outstanding as anything from those 3 first records, Edge shines with the distortion way up there!!!! If half of the new songs sound as good as this one I?ll be one happy U2 fan. We need more songs like Like A Song. They should totally play this song live along with The Electric Co. :hyper: :hyper:

Today I've basically been rediscovering the whole War CD, and there's some wonderful stuff on there. Madonna's Child, you've got a point about Seconds - I'd love to see that return to the acoustic set, though that's wildly impropable. BrazilianFly, I totally agree that we need more songs like LAS. The new album would rock so hard if it had anything similar to this.

I was toying with live ideas and came up with this ...

The Cry/The Electric Co.
Like A Song ...
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Drowning Man
Party Girl
Seconds

Personally, I'm quite pleased with that. Shame we'll never see it played ...

It was so nice to see your thread title, Axver, Like a Song! with the exclamation mark! It's great to know that other people appreciate some of these "forgotten" U2 classics. I have loved this song from the first time I heard it, and along with Drowning Man it is my favourite song on War. Those two are just brilliant together.

The most rocking song U2 has ever produced...

N?2 in my U2 life... N?1 is obviously ACROBAT

I have 2 versions of Like A Song live... one a little fast and another one really slow, and it appears that that's the real one... :(

But is the best real rock song of U2 ever !!!!!! :hyper:

~*Buffalo*~ said:
I have loved this song from the first time I heard it, and along with Drowning Man it is my favourite song on War. Those two are just brilliant together.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. I'm addicted to that combination right now. Why were they not done live? They're pure genius, and wow, the ending of Drowning Man is just incredible. I'm also trying to figure out why I hated The Refugee for so long ... some powerful drumming by Larry there. Edge's guitar solo on Like A Song at about 2:35 is so good too.

Originally posted by pepokiss
I have 2 versions of Like A Song live... one a little fast and another one really slow, and it appears that that's the real one...

Two? Where would the other one be from? Someone mixing crowd noise in with the studio version or something like that?

What a bomb, find your War CD and listen to the brilliance!

pepokiss said:

I have 2 versions of Like A Song live... one a little fast and another one really slow, and it appears that that's the real one... :(

Interesting, it was only played one time and there is only one recording of that in circulation that I have heard of. Is your second version from a bootleg or a download?

Its a good song, however, if you listen to the live version done you can kind of see why they never did it live again. It didnt come accross very well live for some reason and did not fit the flow of the setlist at the time. I think they could have worked on it more though and maybe experimented with it in different spots in the setlist but sadly they didnt. I think I heard or read an interview with Edge where he indicated they didnt feel the song worked live.

Back
Top Bottom