Liberty Medal Live Webcast then Podcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
fyi folks!!

Bono and his group, DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) are receiving the Liberty Medal on Thursday, September 27 at the National Constitution Center in Historic Philadelphia. Please link the webcast on Thursday!

The live web cast begins at 7 p.m. at www.libertymedal.org. Viewers can watch the 50-minute ceremony live, or archived on the website for a month. A two-minute, edited version of the ceremony will also be at www.libertymedal.org, posted just hours after the ceremony ends.

The last time Bono took to the stage for Africa was for LIVE 8, the world-wide mega concert whose only American venue was Philadelphia. Once again, we invite a world-wide online audience to tune in. U2 and Bono fans, and those concerned about continental inequality should log on and watch.

Why Bono, Bush and Philadelphia?

The 19-year-old Liberty Medal is presented at the National Constitution Center, literally in the shadow of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Its $100,000 prize is awarded to someone who has “demonstrated leadership and vision in the pursuit of liberty of conscience or freedom from oppression, ignorance or deprivation.” Bono and DATA, the advocacy organization he co-founded, certainly qualify.

Former President George H.W. Bush is the chairman of the National Constitution Center and will present the award to Bono and DATA.

____________________________________________________________________________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Ashley Berke

Public Relations Manager

aberke@constitutioncenter.org

LIVE WEBCAST WITH PRESIDENT GEORGE H.W. BUSH AS BONO AND DATA ARE HONORED WITH NATIONAL CONSTITUTION CENTER’S

2007 LIBERTY MEDAL IN HISTORIC PHILADELPHIA

BONO AND DATA RECEIVE $100,000 FOR HIV & POVERTY IN AFRICA

Philadelphia, PA (September 14, 2007) – The National Constitution Center, in partnership with the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation and WPVI-TV, will webcast the 2007 Liberty Medal ceremony live on www.libertymedal.org, making the event available to a worldwide audience for the first time. The 2007 Liberty Medal will be awarded jointly to Bono, U2 lead singer and activist, and DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa), the advocacy organization he co-founded to combat poverty and disease in Africa, on Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 7:00 p.m. at the National Constitution Center in Historic Philadelphia.

“We are thrilled to provide global access to the 2007 Liberty Medal ceremony,” says National Constitution Center President and CEO Joseph M. Torsella. “This year’s recipients serve as inspirational examples of the power of citizens to elevate important issues to the world stage. The global reach of this webcast allows us to generate greater awareness of Bono’s and DATA’s exceptional contributions, and to support those that strive to ensure ‘the blessings of liberty’ throughout the world.”

The webcast will feature a special introduction by National Constitution Center Chairman, President George H.W. Bush. The live webcast will be streamed on www.libertymedal.org beginning at 7:00 p.m.; a condensed version of the ceremony will be available later that night on www.constitutioncenter.org and www.gophila.com/libertymedal, and will be available for viewing through October. Locally, the ceremony will also be broadcast live on WPVI-TV, 6abc at 7:00 p.m. In order to increase the international recognition of the Liberty Medal, the National

Constitution Center, the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation, and WPVI-TV are dedicating marketing resources such as advertising, communications, and web and social media tactics.

The prestigious Liberty Medal, and its accompanying $100,000 prize, will recognize Bono and DATA’s groundbreaking work in raising awareness about and spurring a global response to the crisis of AIDS and extreme poverty in Africa.

Established in 1988 by We the People 2000 to commemorate the bicentennial of the U.S. Constitution, the Liberty Medal annually honors an individual or an organization from anywhere in the world that has “demonstrated leadership and vision in the pursuit

of liberty of conscience or freedom from oppression, ignorance or deprivation.” Since 2006, the National Constitution Center has administered the Liberty Medal, which includes the annual presentation of the award and a host of supplemental programs and activities designed to extend the Medal’s reach throughout the year.

The National Constitution Center, located at 525 Arch St. on Philadelphia’s Independence Mall, is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing public understanding of the U.S. Constitution and the ideas and values it represents. The Center serves as a museum, an education center, and a forum for debate on constitutional issues. The museum dramatically tells the story of the Constitution from Revolutionary times to the present through more than 100 interactive, multimedia exhibits, film, photographs, text, sculpture and artifacts, and features a powerful, award-winning theatrical performance, “Freedom Rising”. The Center also houses the Annenberg Center for Education and Outreach, which serves as the hub for national constitutional education. For more information, call 215.409.6700 or visit www.constitutioncenter.org.

###

I'm glad they're webcasting it. My parents live about 90 minutes outside of Philly and sometimes get the channel the ceremony will be shown on, but sometimes you turn it on and it's only one of those community information things :huh:

Thank you for the information! I will surely watch the webcast, though it will be around midnight for us Central European people. JCoster and everyone else who will be there: Good luck and have a wonderful time!

FYI, neither of the links in the original post work. The first one asks for a login and password, and the second one has a comma at the end of it. Get rid of the comma in that one and the link will take you to the main Liberty Medal page, where there's a link to the webcast. Nothing's showing yet, so I'm guessing the ceremony hasn't started.

If it's a 50 minute ceremony, I'm guessing there will be a lot of fluff, but it's always nice to hear Bono speak.

My computer won't play it because I don't have the latest version of Windows Media Player. Is someone going to be able to rip this and upload it?

Dana

The Liberty Medal site is supposed to archive a short clip, but I do hope someone's able to rip the whole speech. It was incredibly moving. I'm teaching a composition class right now with the theme of Popular Culture and American Identity, and I'd really like to show them this speech on Tuesday.

My mom called while I was watching the ceremony. I turned the sound down and talked to her for a little while, but then I said to her, "If I hang up on you, it's because of Bono," and she answered "After all these years I'm getting used to it." :wink:

I watched it, INCREDIBLE speech, easy one of his best, he sure knows how to work an audience.

Loved that part about calling George Bush Sr. during Zoo TV!

What a passionate man. I'll surely watch it again in the Constitution Centre archives, but I also hope someone will rip and upload it.

Wow, glad I stayed up.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
The Liberty Medal site is supposed to archive a short clip, but I do hope someone's able to rip the whole speech. It was incredibly moving. I'm teaching a composition class right now with the theme of Popular Culture and American Identity, and I'd really like to show them this speech on Tuesday.

I thought the site was supposed to have the whole ceremony archived for a month.

The archive isn't up yet. I just clicked on it and it's still streaming----which means that I just got to watch Philadelphia's Channel 6 Action News Accuweather report for the week. :huh: Brought back memories, coz that was my news channel when I lived in Jersey.....though it wasn't Dave Roberts on just now. :wink:

Anyway, here's hoping the full thing is archived & that it's up soon.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

I could've sworn they said just a clip, but I'd be glad to be wrong!

They said there would be clip up very soon after the awards and that the full show would be archived for a month.

Dana

If you go to PLEBA someone has posted the entire text of the speech, in the thread "Bono in Philly"

misfit toys said:
I have an mp3 of Bono's speech with the President's introduction, here:

http://www.s e n d space.com/file/wqn0mq

Can't do video. :sad:

thanks so much for this. I was there and it was amazing but so hard to take everything in, I'm so glad I get to hear it again so soon afterwards!

:hyper:

Back
Top Bottom