Let's Wager Some Money / First single release speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm assuming that 98.9 The Rock is the hard rock station in that area? We have Lazer 103.3 which plays the Metallica's and harder sounding bands.....

What was kind of funny was to hear Vertigo on that station a few times, and then quickly dumped. Although the DJ stated something the time I heard it on that station that he was happy to hear U2 coming up with a much harder guitar sound riff for once.

If downloads count towards radio airplay (top 40) then expect U2's single to be all over the radio in the next 2 months.

Yes. They are the hard rock station. But they used to play U2 pre-ATYCLB, ironically. As with Lazer, they picked up Elevation and Vertigo only. But they don't play U2 anymore. In fact when I was listening to them a few months ago eagerly trying to score me some Nine Inch Nails tickets, someone called in and they played the convo over the air. They said "Can you play Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me." I got excited and thought finally, some U2! And the DJ said "We don't play U2 anymore because they are sell-out hacks and mainstream adult top 40. Go listen to one of those other crappy Kansas City stations and I'm sure you can get all the Bono you want." Or something to that extent. It's not verbatim, but I remember that being a summary of what the DJ said.

I just emailed Triple J (the station that claimed the downloaded the single so they could play it early, then had the track playing in the promo about 3 days before the release).

I will let you know as soon as they reply with any info.

Yes. They are the hard rock station. But they used to play U2 pre-ATYCLB, ironically. As with Lazer, they picked up Elevation and Vertigo only. But they don't play U2 anymore. In fact when I was listening to them a few months ago eagerly trying to score me some Nine Inch Nails tickets, someone called in and they played the convo over the air. They said "Can you play Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me." I got excited and thought finally, some U2! And the DJ said "We don't play U2 anymore because they are sell-out hacks and mainstream adult top 40. Go listen to one of those other crappy Kansas City stations and I'm sure you can get all the Bono you want." Or something to that extent. It's not verbatim, but I remember that being a summary of what the DJ said.

I love it. Always with the sell out stuff....yet 90% of the bands they play have sold out in much bigger format than U2. Now every band sells out eventually, it just depends on the level. U2 did the iPod, and while no money ever exchanged hands, it was a commercial.....I still think it was brilliant marketing.

But somoene like Ozzy Osbourne who creates his own show and makes fun of himself to make extra money is a complete hack.

And Metallica hasn't been releavent in years, even with their new album....but then they sold out when they cut their hair according to their fans.

Oh well, you can't make everyone happy.

found on U2 eastlink:

He vuelto a hablar con UNIVERSAL hoy 7 de enero
07 enero 2009 a las 17:15
Numero de lecturas: 124

Y la verdad es que llevan la cosa con bastante secretismo. De hecho me han dicho que esta vez "U2 está llevando la cosa muy confidencialmente".

Me han dicho que a fecha de hoy ellos (Universal) ya saben varias cosas (nombre del single, fecha de lanzamiento y estreno en radio entre otras) pero que "sintiéndolo mucho" aún no lo pueden hacer público.

Lo que sí me han garantizado es que el single saldrá a la venta en varios formatos (los habituales) en los primeros días de febrero (posiblemente entre el 2 y el 5 de febrero, intuyo por lo que me han dicho).

Y claro ante eso yo les he preguntado de nuevo por el estreno en radios y les he preguntado que si estamos a días de su estreno en radio y me han dicho simplemente que no pueden darme esa información pero que estamos cerca.

En fin, qué angustia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically, this guy talked to someone at Universal, and the only thing worth knowing is that the physical release of the new single will be on the first days of February (between 2nd and 5th)

^, so based on other releases (HTDAAB physical on 8 Nov, radio on sept 24) we should hear it on radio between Dec 18-21!!!!

OMG, WEVE ALREADY HEARD IT!!!!!

^, so based on other releases (HTDAAB physical on 8 Nov, radio on sept 24) we should hear it on radio between Dec 18-21!!!!

OMG, WEVE ALREADY HEARD IT!!!!!

Exactly, it's already overdue. I doubt we'll have to wait 'til the 20th. I'm tellin ya, Saturday :wink:

found on U2 eastlink:

Basically, this guy talked to someone at Universal, and the only thing worth knowing is that the physical release of the new single will be on the first days of February (between 2nd and 5th)

And the truth is that things take quite secretive. In fact I am told that this time "U2 is taking things very confidentially."

I have said that to date they (Universal) already know many things (single name, date of launch and debut on radio etc.) but "feeling very much" still can not make public.

What I have ensured that the single will be available in several formats (the usual) in the first days of February (possibly between 2 and February 5, sense so I have said).

And of course before that I have asked again for the premiere radio and I asked them if we are to premiere his days in radio and told me that just can not give me that information but we are close.

that's thanks to google translation.

Wow, i've never really heard of any DJs really heavily paying out any band. :ohmy:

I love it. Always with the sell out stuff....yet 90% of the bands they play have sold out in much bigger format than U2. Now every band sells out eventually, it just depends on the level. U2 did the iPod, and while no money ever exchanged hands, it was a commercial.....I still think it was brilliant marketing.

The whole "sell out" complaint is ridiculous. Making music is an art but it's also a job. You've gotta make some money at it. Music is also a product and to sell that product you need to create hype and market it well. So how do these people expect bands to do this without "selling out"?

What is up with this single release?

Perhaps they're tinkering with GYBO as we speak...

The whole "sell out" complaint is ridiculous. Making music is an art but it's also a job. You've gotta make some money at it. Music is also a product and to sell that product you need to create hype and market it well. So how do these people expect bands to do this without "selling out"?

Exactly... :up:

I get annoyed how U2 are kinda publicly hated because they "sell out"

I have stopped expecting anything. I'm not entirely convinced that we will get a new album, and I sure as hell am not banking any money on @U2 saying that GOYB (note the order of the letters) will be the lead single being first played in the U.S. at two totally different moments in time.

Back
Top Bottom