Let's Wager Some Money / First single release speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The timing of this concerns me:

// Vertigo single: November 8!
Posted by u2boy on September 07, 2004 | Permanent link
Used tags: single, u2
U2 has confirmed that U2's next single will be called 'Vertigo' and will be released on the 8th of November. There will be 3 different formats: 2 CD's and a DVD:

CD1:
1. Vertigo
2. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?

CD2:
1. Vertigo
2. Vertigo (Jacknife Lee Remix)
3. Neon Lights

DVD:
1. Vertigo (Video of U2 performing Vertigo live in the studio, directed by Richie Smyth)
2. Vertigo (Audio + photo gallery, photos by Anton Corbijn)
3. Are You Gonna Wait Forever? (Audio only)
4. Vertigo (Jacknife Lee Remix) (Video, shot in Lisbon)

Vertigo and Are You Gonna Wait Forever are new U2 songs, Neon Lights is a cover and was originally written and recorded by Kraftwerk, a German band.

and another reason why I say January 9 at 5pm >>> car ride home, new single before the weekend

plus a month before Grammy Awards....we might just see them perform a month before the album release.....who knows

i don't think a new U2 single would be eligible for the grammys (which are on February 8th) so why would they be there?

from the grammy site:
For recordings released during the Eligibility Year October 1, 2007 through September 30, 2008

^ actually, that is physical release. it was exactly 14 days before the album was due. Following that model, physical release of GYBO would be 16 Feb, and radio date would be 6 weeks, and 3 days prior to the physical release, which would mean we should hear the single on the 2nd of january!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

only -4 days left!

^ actually, that is physical release. it was exactly 14 days before the album was due. Following that model, physical release of GYBO would be 16 Feb, and radio date would be 6 weeks, and 3 days prior to the physical release, which would mean we should hear the single on the 2nd of january!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

only -4 days left!

Yeah, the physical release date for Vertigo might have been Nov. 8th, but we heard it on Sept 23 (thank you Wikipedia!) due to radio play. Sept 23 was exactly 2 months before HTDAAB was released. So they've held back GYBO a bit longer then Vertigo... It's still odd that we haven't heard of the release date yet, however.

Yeah, the physical release date for Vertigo might have been Nov. 8th, but we heard it on Sept 23 (thank you Wikipedia!) due to radio play. Sept 23 was exactly 2 months before HTDAAB was released. So they've held back GYBO a bit longer then Vertigo... It's still odd that we haven't heard of the release date yet, however.

That is exactly what i was saying. 6 weeks and 3 days before the physical release (I had Sept 24 from memory). Which means that if the release schedule followed the same structure, we should have heard the single on radio last friday

only -4 days left!

We're due for it now!

So they've held back GYBO a bit longer then Vertigo... It's still odd that we haven't heard of the release date yet, however.

This is good. I don't think waiting too long for a single or album after radioplay is a good idea. I'm sure people will get sick of listening to only one song for a month and a half. I would rather have more annoucements to happen closer together.

To be honest, a weekend of listening to one song would be plenty before I got bored and moved on to something else. Remember guys, it's just a song. What we are really starving for is the whole physical album.

only -4 days left!

Things change year to year and one reason U2 did that in the past was to get the single (e.g. Beautiful Day,Vertigo) onto radio here in the U.S. before the Grammy(U.S. music awards show) cutoff date of Sept 30th
Now that the band doesn't have to meet that kind of a deadline...I hate to say it Sicy could be right....what's to stop U2 from releasing the single to radio Feb 1st??....I mean I want to hear the single now but at the end of the day it's not about what I want:D

I saw that Metallica's first single off their latest album was filmed and then released exactly a month later....U2's video was filmed December 11th maybe the song with the accompanying video will be heard/shown around Jan. 11th

Okay the single can be released in February but I wanna hear it on the radio in mid January or now.

I don't get all the comparison with earlier U2 releases. Wouldn't it make much more sense to compare with other acts' recent releases? Killers, Metallica?

I'm too lazy to do that, but someone else might :)

Maybe U2 just wants to test their security out and see how long they can keep the single from leaking.

I'm getting really sick of waiting. Give us some news and change the website already. Enough of the HTDAAB look.

Maybe they haven't actually recorded anything and it's all a big scam. :ohmy:

:lol:

:applaud:

If on March 3rd Ashton Kutcher sprouts on TV and says that we've all been punked I'm buying an oozie...a bottle of Jack Daniels....and a bus ticket to that fucker's house.

(disclaimer...I wouldn't buy the oozie...I would probably just defficate in a bad and light it on fire on his doorstep)

This is good. I don't think waiting too long for a single or album after radioplay is a good idea. I'm sure people will get sick of listening to only one song for a month and a half. I would rather have more annoucements to happen closer together.

To be honest, a weekend of listening to one song would be plenty before I got bored and moved on to something else. Remember guys, it's just a song. What we are really starving for is the whole physical album.

i am thinking you might be right. maybe the days of promoting a new album for 2-3 months with one single are over. didn't jack white say as much about the new raconteurs album? something to the effect of "get the album out and THEN start promoting the songs" perhaps the market is a more instentaneous one these days. so much can happen in a 2 month period, i can see why a band would want the single to come closer to the album release date.

I didn't hear any new Kings Of Leon stuff too far in advance of the record. I think the SNL performance was the first I heard of "Sex on Fire" and "Use Somebody" and that was right before the album was released, i think.

I'm 90 percent sure the first single will just suddenly appear... unlike in 2004, we're not going to get the Vertigo-style press release, announcing that the single will be released in 2 weeks' time. All signs are pointing to this: the atu2.com announcement that we'll be hearing the song sometime in the next week, plus the fact that there isn't enough time left before March 3 to do much different.

Woo-hoo -- stealth/sudden release! :hyper:

i am thinking you might be right. maybe the days of promoting a new album for 2-3 months with one single are over. didn't jack white say as much about the new raconteurs album? something to the effect of "get the album out and THEN start promoting the songs" perhaps the market is a more instentaneous one these days. so much can happen in a 2 month period, i can see why a band would want the single to come closer to the album release date.

I'm sorry, you are not allowed to make sense in this forum. :hmm:

Please refrain from using common sense in the future. :wink:

seriously - this makes a whole shitload of sense.:up:

I still think next Monday (13th) will be the day. Just a guess on my part, but they will still want to get the single out on Radio BEFORE the album.

U2 is too big of a band to not promote in some manner. GYBO will be all over the radio (assuming downloads still count towards airplay). Vertigo was able to climb the charts; close to what Beautiful Day did, and had downloads counted, probably would have reached the top 10.

U2 would love to have another top 10 single.

I didn't hear any new Kings Of Leon stuff too far in advance of the record. I think the SNL performance was the first I heard of "Sex on Fire" and "Use Somebody" and that was right before the album was released, i think.

I was thinking this too. People want stuff NOW...as opposed to a little bit at a time. So its like "give me the single NOW" and then a couple weeks later "give me the album NOW"

makes a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom