Let's Wager Some Money / First single release speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll point out the JB hifi have altered the details for NLOTH

Standard CD $15.19
Ltd Cd $19.19
Ltd + Mag $21.59

Release date is still lsited at 6/3/09, but theres no way they wont do the regular thing for U2

it wierds me out the 19 cents bit. We don't have 1 or 2 cent coins....

Most places have rounded to make thing 19.95 instead of 19.99, but 19.19???

oh well, we'll see soon enough

Don't know whether this has been posted but this is a new article on @U2.com.
U2 Home Page: @U2 - U2 News, U2 Pix, U2 lyrics, U2 Collectors Guide and more!

NEW @U2 NEW SINGLE COMING SOON
January 07, 2009
posted by: m2

We're hearing lots of buzz about the first single from U2's new album, which is expected to be "Get On Your Boots." Confirming anything has been a challenge today, but here's what we think we know:

* A fan in Boston tell us that WBCN radio announced on-air yesterday that the new U2 single will "hit the airwaves" next week. WBCN is, of course, a longtime U2-friendly radio station.
* But, a good source elsewhere is saying the single won't be on US radio until January 19.

We do know that U.S. radio stations typically receive new singles on Thursdays or Fridays for airing the following week. So, it sounds like the new single should be out in the next week or two at most. We've got feelers out in a bunch of places, and we'll update this as we hear more.

On a semi-related note, U2tour.de is reporting that the UK standard version of No Line On The Horizon will include a bonus track. The U.K. and Japan typically get these bonus tracks. U2tour.de also expects the bonus track will be available on some of the limited editions of the album, too.

Yes, it's been posted. Good call posting it in an existing thread. :wink:

So, basically, we'll hear the single within the next 2 weeks. I can deal with that.

Don't know whether this has been posted but this is a new article on @U2.com.
U2 Home Page: @U2 - U2 News, U2 Pix, U2 lyrics, U2 Collectors Guide and more!

NEW @U2 NEW SINGLE COMING SOON
January 07, 2009
posted by: m2

We're hearing lots of buzz about the first single from U2's new album, which is expected to be "Get On Your Boots." Confirming anything has been a challenge today, but here's what we think we know:

* A fan in Boston tell us that WBCN radio announced on-air yesterday that the new U2 single will "hit the airwaves" next week. WBCN is, of course, a longtime U2-friendly radio station.
* But, a good source elsewhere is saying the single won't be on US radio until January 19.

We do know that U.S. radio stations typically receive new singles on Thursdays or Fridays for airing the following week. So, it sounds like the new single should be out in the next week or two at most. We've got feelers out in a bunch of places, and we'll update this as we hear more.

On a semi-related note, U2tour.de is reporting that the UK standard version of No Line On The Horizon will include a bonus track. The U.K. and Japan typically get these bonus tracks. U2tour.de also expects the bonus track will be available on some of the limited editions of the album, too.

I would trust WBCN. They had the first Boston (arguably first American) U2-friendly radio dj in Carter Allan. Carter now does mid day on WZLX 100.7 classic rock in Boston. I would say they will probably be receiving the single thursday(jan 8) or friday and it will be out on the radio for monday.

My official prediction, then, is Monday January 12, 2009 we will be discussing GYBO in this forum!

I would trust WBCN. They had the first Boston (arguably first American) U2-friendly radio dj in Carter Allan. Carter now does mid day on WZLX 100.7 classic rock in Boston. I would say they will probably be receiving the single thursday(jan 8) or friday and it will be out on the radio for monday.

My official prediction, then, is Monday January 12, 2009 we will be discussing GYBO in this forum!

I hope so! Thats only 4 days away! Maybe it will leak over the weekend :hmm:

Yes. They are the hard rock station. But they used to play U2 pre-ATYCLB, ironically. As with Lazer, they picked up Elevation and Vertigo only. But they don't play U2 anymore. In fact when I was listening to them a few months ago eagerly trying to score me some Nine Inch Nails tickets, someone called in and they played the convo over the air. They said "Can you play Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me." I got excited and thought finally, some U2! And the DJ said "We don't play U2 anymore because they are sell-out hacks and mainstream adult top 40. Go listen to one of those other crappy Kansas City stations and I'm sure you can get all the Bono you want." Or something to that extent. It's not verbatim, but I remember that being a summary of what the DJ said.

I'm sure that radio station doesn't want to make any money.

Re Release Dates: We (central Europe) always get new albums on Fridays, while the official US release date is on Tuesday the next week. So there's a weekend in between. I won't be able to give profound reviews anyway because I have a workshop to do the whole weekend.

Re Release Dates: We (central Europe) always get new albums on Fridays, while the official US release date is on Tuesday the next week. So there's a weekend in between.

I was just going to post that...

To be honest I don't understand why release albums on Tuesday :huh:
It doesn't make sense to me. New movies in theaters are released on fridays, why not new music?

I was just going to post that...

To be honest I don't understand why release albums on Tuesday :huh:
It doesn't make sense to me. New movies in theaters are released on fridays, why not new music?

According to features editor Mike Pearson of Denver Rocky Mountain News, albums are released on Tuesdays because sales figures for albums are released on Mondays. While films are ranked according to weekend sales figures, the billboard charts are determined according to weekly sales. Thus, in order to maximize their sales potential, albums have to be released immediately after the posting of the previous week's sales figures.

I'm sorry but this is driving me nuts :scratch::banghead:

Is It Get ON Your Boots (GOYB) or Get Your Boots ON (GYBO)??

Q says Get your boots on
RS says Get on your boots

I'm going insane here or what?:sad:

the only crack in the WBCN story is that Matt from @u2.com didn't hear the announcement for himself. it was one fan that heard it and then contacted Matt. the fact that no one else has come forward to say they heard the announcement makes me believe that it is indeed the 19th, when we hear GYBO.

Get your boots on sounds like more of an idiomatic Irish/UK phrase though, and I'd say that flows better because I'm so used to hearing it :shrug:

Spoke to Universal Sweden today and all they got was an mail on december 20th that was saying "Be prepared"... They will get the song via an digital file just before the radio airplay wich my contact thought it might be next week.

Getting information around HTDAAB from the record company before reelase was easy, but this time nobody knows for sure...

Spoke to Universal Sweden today and all they got was an mail on december 20th that was saying "Be prepared"... They will get the song via an digital file just before the radio airplay wich my contact thought it might be next week.

Getting information around HTDAAB from the record company before reelase was easy, but this time nobody knows for sure...

thanks for the info! yeah, it's definitely air tight this time around...

I don't mean to be negative, but I must admit I am not *that* excited to hear GYBO (compared to the excitment I usually feel when about to hear a new U2 song). I am much more looking forward to all the other songs on the album. Of course it's partly because we have a very good idea of what this song is (based on the beach clip), and it does seem a little bit like Vertigo part 2... which is why I think it's a strange choice for a first single. But what do I know? Maybe it will sound quite different when we hear the real thing. Still my expectations are not that high for this song, therefore they might be easily surpassed ;)

I don't mean to be negative, but I must admit I am not *that* excited to hear GYBO (compared to the excitment I usually feel when about to hear a new U2 song). I am much more looking forward to all the other songs on the album. Of course it's partly because we have a very good idea of what this song is (based on the beach clip), and it does seem a little bit like Vertigo part 2... which is why I think it's a strange choice for a first single.

I can see why would someone say this...
but really, is Discotheque a little bit like The Fly part 2? or wasn't Vertigo already called Elevaion part 2 by some people?

I can see why would someone say this...
but really, is Discotheque a little bit like The Fly part 2? or wasn't Vertigo already called Elevaion part 2 by some people?

Hmmm... I don't think Discotheque sounds like The Fly at all. Elevation and Vertigo are quite different too, apart from the fact that they are both straight-up rock tunes. From what I've heard of GYBO it does sound very close to Vertigo, the riffs are quite similar, the pace, the verses with bass and semi-rapping by Bono... not that it's a bad thing, it could still be a really good song (which Vertigo is btw, I remember we were all madly in love with it when it came out, and it kicked ass live). Just a strange message to send as a first single. But it's no big deal, I have great hopes for the other songs on this album. I mean, from what I've heard of Unknown Caller it already sounds like a classic, and it's not even mentionned as a stand-out track by the reviews we've read... so that's a good sign!

I don't mean to be negative, but I must admit I am not *that* excited to hear GYBO (compared to the excitment I usually feel when about to hear a new U2 song). I am much more looking forward to all the other songs on the album. Of course it's partly because we have a very good idea of what this song is (based on the beach clip), and it does seem a little bit like Vertigo part 2... which is why I think it's a strange choice for a first single. But what do I know? Maybe it will sound quite different when we hear the real thing. Still my expectations are not that high for this song, therefore they might be easily surpassed ;)

+1.

and I'll go one step further: as I've said before, I don't think this album will be that different from Bomb.
maybe the songs will be better, but style-wise? probably the same.

^ true, but anyone who would download it for the sake of 4 days are the people who will buy it anyway. Theres no difference to stopping pirating, because those that will download illegally will do it anyway, no matter when it is released

Exactly! I'll download the shit out of a leak...but I'll also probably mortgage my house on buying their next CD....concert tickets....concert t-shirts.....mugs......

I'm sorry but this is driving me nuts :scratch::banghead:

Is It Get ON Your Boots (GOYB) or Get Your Boots ON (GYBO)??

Q says Get your boots on
RS says Get on your boots

I'm going insane here or what?:sad:

I will piss myself if the title ends up being something like: "Got Your Boots On, Eh?"

Get your boots on sounds like more of an idiomatic Irish/UK phrase though, and I'd say that flows better because I'm so used to hearing it :shrug:

Have you tried googling both titles? some of the other shit you find that is non-U2 related is actually kind of funny.

Back
Top Bottom