Let's talk about Native Son...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I think Native Son and Vertigo are both musically pointless.

GibsonGirl said:
Personally, I think Native Son and Vertigo are both musically pointless.

I agree. Both songs were fucked to begin with. I don't even think I like Native Son all that much. It just seems good to me in comparison to Vertigo. But if you pretend there was never a Vertigo, and listen to Native Son, you realize that the mediocrity of Vertigo was the best thing about Native Son! Of course, this might apply to you if you like Native Son over Vertigo. If you prefer Vertigo, then you just have a shitty taste in music. No, all kidding aside, both songs are freakin' lame. One just happens to be lamer than the other.

ozeeko said:

It just seems good to me in comparison to Vertigo.

Which isn't saying a lot at all, considering the quality of Vertigo. Lyrically, I think I prefer Native Son, but I think they both flop in a musical sense. It just reeks of trying to recreate the light and fluffy fun of Elevation. I don't know why they wanted to do that either, because Elevation's even more disposable than Vertigo/Native Son.

When I was in spin class today the instructor put in a new CD of different songs. Vertigo came on and it was fucking awesome. The song is just pure adrenaline. Thats what its supposed to be and that is what it is. Its just another vibe that U2 hit. I love the song.

GibsonGirl said:

It just reeks of trying to recreate the light and fluffy fun of Elevation. I don't know why they wanted to do that either, because Elevation's even more disposable than Vertigo/Native Son.

I agreed with you up until you bashed Elevation. All three songs are disposable, it's just that Elevation is better at it. It gets away with it. In my opinion of course. Elevation is nowhere near being one of my favorite U2 songs, but I can dig it while it's playing. Vertigo on the other hand I avoid like the fucking plague.

ozeeko said:

I agreed with you up until you bashed Elevation. All three songs are disposable, it's just that Elevation is better at it. It gets away with it. In my opinion of course. Elevation is nowhere near being one of my favorite U2 songs, but I can dig it while it's playing. Vertigo on the other hand I avoid like the fucking plague.

Its too bad you should get the plague

gherman said:

Is this the adrenaline talking? Turn off Vertigo, take a couple deep breaths, and chill out. And then turn on "One", crawl to your corner and weep with the lights out.

GibsonGirl said:

It just reeks of trying to recreate the light and fluffy fun of Elevation

I wish the Spanish count in and the hola! and donde esta! shouts weren't on the final version, maybe then Vertigo wouldn't be accused of being "light". Aside from the fact that it comes from the "crap" decade, of course.

U2girl said:

I wish the Spanish count in and the hola! and donde esta! shouts weren't on the final version, maybe then Vertigo wouldn't be accused of being "light". Aside from the fact that it comes from the "crap" decade, of course.

Luckily this forums likes and dislikes do not represent the average listener at all. Yes, people did get tired of Vertigo, only because it was overplayed--but it is incredible catchy and most people I know who aren't even U2 fans start singing along.

It isn't a "light" song--people need to take the time to listen to the lyrics and decyper them a bit. I personally love the Spanish count and the hola's...ect.

gherman said:
this is uncalled for. you've been warned several times for name calling over the years, and you never seem to listen. so consider this a formal warning. this could lead to a temporary banning from the forums.

Native Son has 'FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'.

Vertigo does not.

Wow!!!!!!! People are sensitive at this forum. I go to other forums and we talk like this all the time in fun. I guess thats todays society sorry about that.

I love when some threads just won't die :love:

I think Native Son is the superior song, especially because of the lyrics. It's dangerous, politically loaded, and is pretty fresh sounding. I like Edge's contribution as well.

Vertigo is the classic U2 compromise of late. It's a "hit," something that Native Son may not have achieved, especially in the gun-loving markets of the United States. It's interesting how a song about guns and violence can be stripped of its original meaning and turn into another song that may turn out to be their biggest hit ever, in terms of how it penetrated the mainstream.

Thanks Zootlesque! Seems like the original material was much heavier. Pity they went the safer route. I love Vertigo just the same though.

ozeeko said:

Sorry, but this I couldnt disagree with more. Of the 3 of those songs, Elevation is overwhelmingly the weakest.

Never liked it, and still dont. Vertigo, on the other hand, like many have said here, was just a perfect opening single. I remember hearing the first take of it that we got our hands on, some crappy quality spanish radio station release, and even then I was practically having cold sweats listening to it. That song was, and is awesome. Its exactly what they set out to do, create an absolute ass-burner of a rock single. I go through phases when I tire of it, but it doesnt last long.

I really think we try to intellectualise things too much sometimes. That song is just pure energy. And that it came from a bunch of 45 year olds is nothing short of miraculous. Really, you have to realistic sometimes, I think that Vertigo still stands as the high achievement of that album. In terms os distilling a moment and feeling. Love alot of the songs on that album (dislike alot also), but that song is the most consistent in its message. ie: Pay Attention People, we've been around for 25 years, but we're still the standard. Move aside please.

Native Son? I like it. Really like the conversational nature of the lyrics, but the music is all a bit of a muddle. I like it, but not as impactful as Vertigo. Sounds like its stuck under a layer of gloss. And, unlike some earlier opinions, think the bridge is really weak and quite un-brave compared to the Vertigo take. Sure, the "..all of this can be yours.." lyrics seem ordinary, but I still think it sounds shit cool as a break in the song, with Clayton's bass thumping away behind it......especially compared to the Native Son bridge, lazily sustaining that note forever. I guarantee that if Native Son were on the album, and that we heard Vertigo afterwards we'd be bitching about that bridge at the very least...

...and Elevation? God, now if anyone wants to pinpoint a song thats trying to hard to be something, then start hear. Simply woeful. And dont even get me started on those lyrics.....

I think what people really like about the Native Son bridge is the flow with the music, not so much Bono's "Freeeee" (although that certainly works in tandem). The way it kicks from the Edge's solo, into the part going on behind the "Freeee" and then into the final chorus, well, you are talking about energy, there it is. It sets up the last chorus so that it (the chorus) has a completely different feel to it to each chorus previous, which is great. All the characters nervous tension are in the first few rounds, then that release in the last one. I really like how that works. The Vertigo one in comparison seems like it's not so much about the song, but about creating a 'cool' moment, one lifted directly from Elevation. Drop everything, then boom back at them. "It worked once, lets do it again! The crowd loves that bit!"

Earnie Shavers said:
I think what people really like about the Native Son bridge is the flow with the music, not so much Bono's "Freeeee" (although that certainly works in tandem). The way it kicks from the Edge's solo, into the part going on behind the "Freeee" and then into the final chorus, well, you are talking about energy, there it is. It sets up the last chorus so that it (the chorus) has a completely different feel to it to each chorus previous, which is great. All the characters nervous tension are in the first few rounds, then that release in the last one. I really like how that works. The Vertigo one in comparison seems like it's not so much about the song, but about creating a 'cool' moment, one lifted directly from Elevation. Drop everything, then boom back at them. "It worked once, lets do it again! The crowd loves that bit!"

Yeah, but really, I mean there is no comparison between Elevation and Vertigo, is there? I mean, Elevation back in 2000 sounded tired, let alone now. The whole thing sounds so forced. Vertigo seems to be the song they were trying to make with Elevation.

Native Son? yeah, you've got a point with the flow, just listened to it again and it does work well. But personally, I love the completely different style of the bridge in Vertigo. Going back to the 2004 beach-clip of Vertigo, when I heard that ethereal change of music in Vertigo, even from that very bad quality audio, I nearly wet myself. I was just so glad they were still willing to shake up a songs style like that......its quite a different direction to take a song, and it was the sound that most excited me from the song, only then for the chorus to explode back into your ears, even stronger than before......

Just feel they hit a piece of raw-rock perfection with that song....really sweet.

Back
Top Bottom