Let's talk about "Love Rescue Me"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
I really adore rediscovering songs I forgot about, especially U2 songs, and today's is "Love Rescue Me." I was looking for a link for the words to "All I Want Is You," and once I found it (http://lyrics.interference.com of course), I also found the words for "Love Rescue Me."

Well, I sort of forgot it existed. I listened to it once or twice, and immediately put it on a mix CD I was working on for a friend of mine--it fit *perfectly.* I was so happy to find it again!

What a cool song--Bono's anguished, bluesy-screamy-style at one of its finest moment, some cool horns, a wonderfully explosive near-ending with some quite moments at the end.

I guess this isn't a cool, critical thread :rolleyes:, but I like this song and I *never* post in EYKIW anymore.

i love the lovetown live version of this song :drool:

it is also easy and fun to play on the geetar

I love it too! I guess that makes 4. ;)

I'll try to say something intelligent about it later.

The story behind the song is great too. Something about Bono dreaming of Bob Dylan singing this song. He called up Dylan and asked if he had a song like that(because he didn't know where it came from), Dylan said no...and the rest is history. Does anyone else remember reading about this?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
The story behind the song is great too. Something about Bono dreaming of Bob Dylan singing this song. He called up Dylan and asked if he had a song like that(because he didn't know where it came from), Dylan said no...and the rest is history. Does anyone else remember reading about this?
Imagine having the power to just "call up Bob Dylan" and ask him something? haha What a different world it must be. And Bono wasn't even a legend, really, at that point. He was just another rock star.

imagine bono just calling you up to ask something

and you gotta be pretty big to get bb king to come along on tour with you to just play a few songs everynight.

Last edited:
Now that is more believable. Especially since I used to babysit for him and Ali when I was on an exchange program in Dublin. They still send me Christmas cards! It's really very sweet.

Yeah they still send my Christmas cards because I wrote some of the lyrics for Bono. He is a good guy.

:wave:

Count me among those who love this song.

The lyrics in it are incredible. I particularly like the last couple of lines: "The ruins to the right of me/Will soon have lost sight of me". I don't know what it is about those two lines...perhaps the way they're sung, perhaps because of what possible meanings lie behind those two lines...but every time I hear them they just really get my attention.

This is one of those songs I can see people sitting around a campfire singing along to. :).

Very cool song.

Angela

paxetaurora said:
Wow, I can't believe this thread got 17 replies. :)
It's possible that Chizit complaining that not enough people were replying helped. :)

Wasn't this song an old hymn? I ask this cause I was driving somewhere in the car with my mom one day and I had R&H in and she started singing along. I was like "WTF?!? Where did you learn the lyrics to this song?!?" and she said it was an old hymn, the favorite of her grandmother (my great-grandmother).

This song has always meant the world to me.....when times are good or bad I can always go back to this song......I read in Into The Heart that Bono feels he didn't pull the vocals off......yeah I'd have to disagree there.....powerful powerful stuff....and the fact that Bob Dylan co-wrote and adds background vocals makes this song all the more signifigant to me......the fact that it's hugely underrated is alright with me.....makes it all the more personal for me

DaveC said:
Wasn't this song an old hymn? I ask this cause I was driving somewhere in the car with my mom one day and I had R&H in and she started singing along. I was like "WTF?!? Where did you learn the lyrics to this song?!?" and she said it was an old hymn, the favorite of her grandmother (my great-grandmother).
Interesting...this article says that the melody is stolen from a hymn, "Love Lifted Me."

http://www.mindspring.com/~twhite21/band/rharticle.html

Back
Top Bottom