Let's hear it for Elevation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
Isn't it a brilliant song? Honestly, when I feel down it really cheers me up, there's nothing quite like putting it on and singing along and throwing some Bono-shapes around the kitchen. ;) If I say so, my Bono-shapes are better than Bono's... Hee.

I think I prefer the remix, I have to say, the single, because it packs a bit more punch, but the album version is fab as well. And it has a great lyric in 'I can't sing but I've got soul' which I adopt as a motto, because I sure as hell can't sing a note, lol!

Anyone else sharing the Elevation lurve? *puts it on and dances*

...I love the live version from the 'Communication' CD...esp. when he say's..."help me...I gotta frog in my throat..."

This also cracks up my 4 year old.... :)

EL-E-VA-TION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

...now THATS a chorus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love this song!!!!!!!

Elevation.. It gets unfairly bashed on this site by the lyric snobs, but in reality I believe it is one of u2's catchiest songs. It's just good fun,especially live on the Vertigo tour. It's a song that even most non-u2 fans i know can't help singing along with---from the 13-15 year olds I teach people in their 30's.

wooooooohoooooooowooooohoooo

Last edited:
LMBLover said:
Agreed, can't sing but I've got soul is on the awesome lyrics list..so witty and self-deprecating, classic Bono!

It's aloso the perfect opener for live in Boston:drool:

"elevation! Jubilation!condensation! now revelation..."

LOL what he... he never sings condensation or revelation.

TheQuiet1 said:

That's what makes this song so great!

Yep, then the EL-E-VA-TION!!!

I teach middle school--most of my students listen to crap pop/pop-punk and rap. It's seriously really cool to hear my students start singing along to Elevation when I play it during worktime or studyhall. The only other U2 song this happens to is Vertigo.

On a side note, they're also starting to warm up Mysterious Ways, Even Better Than The Real Thing, and pretty much all of POP (especially Mofo!!!)

I didn't buy ATYCLB right away, and ended up hearing the Tomb Raider mix first, and after listening to the album version I was almost disgusted by the humpty dumpty sounds in the background, but I've luckily gotten used to it.

My 9 year old cousin is quickly becoming a young U2 fan, and this is one of his favorites.

I love Elevation. Sure it's great to have meaningful lyrics, but sometimes.. all ya need is just to rock out with no strings attached. I can't resist either dancing or singing along to this song. Love it!

I'm forced to jump and point during the chorus

every...time...

A MOLE
DIGGIN' IN
A HOLE!

:heart: it! I'll never forget the sight of everyone in Glasgow jumping up&down furiously and wildly as they opened with this 5 year ago :rockon: :rockon:

Elevation is just a throwaway dancey thing. And on that level it works real well! It's not attempting to be deep. "Mole digging in a hole?" Clearly Bono is more than capable of jotting down memorable poetry. But this song isn't concerned with lyrical integrity. U2 are just having fun. And it sounds like they are! And it's catchy. Although I hate the Tomb Raidor remix with the 15 added "Wooohooo" choruses. The album version is great tho. U2 tried to strike lightning twice with "Vertigo", focusing again on that lighthearted U2 fun vibe. But Vertigo is so labored and manipulated that it's a chore to sit and listen through. It's screaming at you while it's playing that you're having fun, when in actuality you're like "uhh whatever." But it seems like you should've been having fun. That's the problem I have with 75% of U2's new album. It's that heightened awareness of emotions I should be experiencing, but definitely am not.

ozeeko said:
Elevation is just a throwaway dancey thing. And on that level it works real well! It's not attempting to be deep. "Mole digging in a hole?" Clearly Bono is more than capable of jotting down memorable poetry. But this song isn't concerned with lyrical integrity. U2 are just having fun. And it sounds like they are! And it's catchy. Although I hate the Tomb Raidor remix with the 15 added "Wooohooo" choruses. The album version is great tho. U2 tried to strike lightning twice with "Vertigo", focusing again on that lighthearted U2 fun vibe. But Vertigo is so labored and manipulated that it's a chore to sit and listen through. It's screaming at you while it's playing that you're having fun, when in actuality you're like "uhh whatever." But it seems like you should've been having fun. That's the problem I have with 75% of U2's new album. It's that heightened awareness of emotions I should be experiencing, but definitely am not.

:hmm:

I have recently started thinking the same thing... that ATYCLB sounds a lot more natural than HTDAAB which is probably the only album of theirs that sounds too calculated. But other times I'm like.. at least HTDAAB rocks more! Yeah, I don't know.

Anyway... as for Elevation, I really like the Slane and Vertigo versions and the album version too, to an extent. The Tomb Raider mix music video absolutely sucked, though! Probably one of U2's worst moments.

ozeeko said:
U2 tried to strike lightning twice with "Vertigo", focusing again on that lighthearted U2 fun vibe. But Vertigo is so labored and manipulated that it's a chore to sit and listen through. It's screaming at you while it's playing that you're having fun, when in actuality you're like "uhh whatever." But it seems like you should've been having fun.

Too bad you're a minority in this.

Back
Top Bottom