Lemon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iLoveElephants

Babyface
Ok, here is the dumb question of the day, and if I were as much of a fan as I'd like to think, I would probably know this!

What is the hub-bub about the lemon? What does the song mean, and what's the significance here?

Ani

Oh I knew this can't recall it right now. Where did I read this??:huh:

Great track anyway I love it, it should have gotten a more proper release.

Ronald

Its got somwething to do with the fantasy vs reality theme of cinema and art that is very present theme in zooropa.

"a man melts the set so he can..."
"A man makes a picture, a movie picture, through the light..."
->LEMON

"watchin your bright blue eyes, in the freeze frame"
->BABYFACE

"With satalite, television, you can go anywhere.."
->STAY

etc...

I believe it's about an old home movie Bono saw of his mother in which she was wearing a lemon colored dress.

And the lines about moving pictures was about a movie producer the band knew, I think.

'm sure someone more knowledgable than me can come along and tell us what's what.

i]Originally posted by discothequeLP [/i]
its the 2nd best u2 song ever made! 7 minutes of extacy

so true!it's my 2nd fav as well

ThatGuy said:
I believe it's about an old home movie Bono saw of his mother in which she was wearing a lemon colored dress.

And the lines about moving pictures was about a movie producer the band knew, I think.

'm sure someone more knowledgable than me can come along and tell us what's what.

is the version that I know... but i'm not sure

great song, anyway...

I am still trying to figure out who to blame for that single edit
and make him/her hurt

ThatGuy -- that sounds really familiar (mom in the yellow dress). I think you're right about the home movie.

I need to go home and listen to Lemon ASAP!

By the way, if ANY of you would like to write an in-depth essay on Lemon and explore what it means, etc - shoot me an email. :wave:

the captions and movement infront of the screen with the lines on if from the early days of cinema where someone wanted to prove that when a horse gallops, at one point all its feet leave the ground. theyd use a load of cameras and film each action of the horse, one of which did show all four hooves off the ground (with the background used as reference between each foot). probably not explaining it very well but meh.

The whole Zooropa album is a true gemm. Much more the ATYCLB. Pop was trying to make a mix of Achtung baby & Zooropa which IMHO totaly failed. Also Zooropa aged very well, the songs still sounds fresh today, while ATYCLB sounds much more dated and I'll listened to that one just today (sorry to say I skipped most songs, so depressing). That said I Love BD and WO very much 2 top tracks on a somewhat boring album.

ThatGuy said:

Color home movie in the 70s?
Was that possible?

This is pretty cool! I stand in front of my U2 collection before I go to work every morning and ponder the choice for about 2 minutes. This really drives my wife nuts! :huh: Anyhow, today's pick was Lemon (album version). What a beautiful song! That perfecto mix is a must.

My wife and kids have a great family inside joke concering this song. If one of us looks really good (going out on the town, etc...), as a compliment, we'll sing in cheesy falsetto fashion "She wore lemon!" I really get a kick when my almost 4-year old daughter does this. Yes, I know we're a wierd bunch. :D

Hey Roland -- Find that Dark Tower yet?

(sorry, not the most original but couldn't resist) :wink:

ps. My friends and I also do the 'she wore lemon' falsetto to each other. It's not that weird!

Originally posted by discothequeLP

yeah? whats your fav?

edit: well, judging by your name...:|

well,i consider numb as a best song ever written-- it's a human manifesto on the topic how to stay sane and clean,but then again....makes you the numbest bastard ever.then there is that pure tech-industrial musical surrounding that just can't make you stay untouched.IMO it's the best song ever-it already existed in everyone's mind but they found it first and turned it into a song.i hated it first time i heard it.but that music just kept spinning in my mind...and lingered.

actually my favorite U2 song is Where The Streets Have No Name...i can listen for that intro for ages... :drool:

"You wouldn't have any inkling that Lemon was about Bono's mother unless you were told...

It happened completely by chance. Someone had approached one of Bono's family at the airport and told him about the existence of this ancient footage in which Bob and Iris Hewson featured...It was eerie watching it. The image of his mother, on-screen, haunted Bono. 'She was wearing lemon. That's where the title came from.'

From that starting point, the song became something else entirely: a meditation about film itself and the pleasure of looking. 'The cinema is where we get to be nosy,' Bono reflects. 'Where we go to look into people's lives, without them minding. People like to stare at other people up close. But because of my position, I don't get to stare at people so much, so film is important for me, in that it allows me to do that.'

Excerpt from:
U2 Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song
By Niall Stokes

It's a great book, but sometimes it is a little dissapointing to read that the stories and meanings behind your favourite songs are not what you had imagined.

BrianJR said:
"You wouldn't have any inkling that Lemon was about Bono's mother unless you were told...

It happened completely by chance. Someone had approached one of Bono's family at the airport and told him about the existence of this ancient footage in which Bob and Iris Hewson featured...It was eerie watching it. The image of his mother, on-screen, haunted Bono. 'She was wearing lemon. That's where the title came from.'

From that starting point, the song became something else entirely: a meditation about film itself and the pleasure of looking. 'The cinema is where we get to be nosy,' Bono reflects. 'Where we go to look into people's lives, without them minding. People like to stare at other people up close. But because of my position, I don't get to stare at people so much, so film is important for me, in that it allows me to do that.'

Excerpt from:
U2 Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song
By Niall Stokes

It's a great book, but sometimes it is a little dissapointing to read that the stories and meanings behind your favourite songs are not what you had imagined.

I love that book, lot' s of great pictures too ! :drool:

Zooropa is so great because you can listen to it over and over and discover new things about it. Just brilliant music, great sounds and songs. I loved experimentation on this album.

Lemon is amazing...its just about perfection with the lyrics, beat, and Bono's singing. But I think one of it's highlights is the bassline by Adam, one of his best in my opinion.

Roland of Gilead said:
This is pretty cool! I stand in front of my U2 collection before I go to work every morning and ponder the choice for about 2 minutes. This really drives my wife nuts! :huh: Anyhow, today's pick was Lemon (album version). What a beautiful song! That perfecto mix is a must.

My wife and kids have a great family inside joke concering this song. If one of us looks really good (going out on the town, etc...), as a compliment, we'll sing in cheesy falsetto fashion "She wore lemon!" I really get a kick when my almost 4-year old daughter does this. Yes, I know we're a wierd bunch. :D

Geez, and I thought this is how every household should be! :)

:up:

Back
Top Bottom