Last Night On Earth video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoobeatle

The Fly
1.Just wondering why they went to the trouble of making this video. Did they intend to make it a single, then changed their mind?
2. Is that Sophie Dahl in the video?
3. Do you undertand what the video is about?

btw if you dont know, its on youtube, cant give you a direct link, but its there somewhere.

I think the video/song meaning is either about suicide, or virginity. Hence the "You gotta give it away... she don't care what is hurts, she's living like it's the last night on earth"

It could also refer to a drunk, or drug induced trip.

It has to be sophie dahl it looks just like her (but i dont actually know for sure). And theu2fly, i always took it to be about virginity too, and the video seems to confirm that.
Also love the bit with all the lemons in the video:drool: classic.

zoobeatle said:
1.Just wondering why they went to the trouble of making this video. Did they intend to make it a single, then changed their mind?
2. Is that Sophie Dahl in the video?
3. Do you undertand what the video is about?

btw if you dont know, its on youtube, cant give you a direct link, but its there somewhere.

Last Night and Earth was a single

Sophie Dahl was in the video

and I think the video is sort of a parody of those '50s sci-fi movies. I might be wrong though.

Re: Re: Last Night On Earth video

LemonMacPhisto said:

Last Night and Earth was a single

Sophie Dahl was in the video

and I think the video is sort of a parody of those '50s sci-fi movies. I might be wrong though.

Sorry it was a single:reject: dont know what i was thinking.

"Last Night On Earth"

The best explanation of this song comes from Gavin Friday. "Bono has said it's about a woman we all know, that we've all met. You're at a party or a club and you just don't know where this 23-year old is getting her energy from. And we're not talking drugs or alcohol here. It's just a vibe, a wild woman who gives you a charge of energy that you find out months later she committed suicide."
from u2star.com

:eyebrow:

the script for this video was actualy made not for LNOE.
originally it was going to be a video for 'Staring At The Sun", listen to director's commentary on the Best Of DVD.
So I guess it may be better to search for the meaning of the video in SATS lyrics:
I don't know... 'Staring at the sun Afraid of what you'd find If you took a look inside'... 'Stuck together with God's glue It's going to get stickier too'... "Intransigence is all around Military still in town"
:scratch: :huh: :shrug:

Re: Re: Last Night On Earth video

LemonMacPhisto said:
You're on the right track, it's also something of a parody of The X-Files which was really huge at the time.
The version on YouTube (I'm the one that uploaded it there!) is the DVD version, which is different from the original MTV version, (which I'd love to find a download of, so if anyone has that, let me know). The original had a bunch of subtitles added to it (in the style of old sci-fi movies, to sort of explain the plot) as well as more shots of people fleeing, and a few extra visual effects added to the video (glowing orbs flying around everywhere, and the goo that's on everybody is glowing). This original version can still be viewed on Yahoo Music, and the subtitles include:

Rush hour, but downtown was a dead zone.

The freeway goes one-way.

Escape was their only thought..

Except this girl

Because she knew...

The truth

4 hard men

1 tough cookie

& a light nobody could understand

The people fled the city, but not our heroes, they follow the chick, she knew the secret of the light.

The truth is really out there.

The song itself, I'd say it's about suicide. As in, the girl is living like it's the last night on earth, because for her, it is, she's about to go kill herself.
The video, seems to be about some sort of "alien invasion" represented by "a light nobody could understand", everyone's fleeing, except this one girl. It could very well be the last night on earth, for everyone, but she doesn't care, she's not afraid, and she just wants to have fun. Of course, the mysterious light just turns out to be William S. Burroughs with a spotlight in a shopping basket, so I guess there wasn't any real reason to be afraid in the first place.

I would say the song is about extensive partying (sex, drugs & maybe some rock 'n roll), but I'm not sure

what i am sure about is that the video is a load of bollocks

LNOE video look liked it was thought of, produced, shot, and edited in one weekend. Excellent song, whacky video.

The best part is the look The Edge makes to the camera when he steals the car.

:lol:

The video was shot in downtown Kansas City the day after their Popmart concert. At the time, I remember hearing U2 always loved KC's skyline. I took the day off work and was onhand for the video shoot. I got some unbelievable pictures of that day and met all 4 members & got their autographs on the Pop program from the night before. Also, no one knew what song the video was for at the time of the shoot. There was speculation it was LNOE, Please, or MOFO. During the actual filming they played Bob Marley songs and other classics, but no U2 songs.

When the scene with the overturned army truck with the lemons in it was over, everyone made a dash to get some of the lemons. I got an entire crate that we made "U2 lemonade" (the best lemonade I've ever had)!

They shut down the interstate for about an hour during rush hour and average KC citizens were pizzed!!!

Like someone already mentioned before it was supposed to be a video for Staring at the sun. :)

That might explain the bright light the walk into, and people covered in slime (stuck together with gods glue) and ofcourse "Military still in town" with the army at the end. :)

Btw they wanted to crash the car through the window first but they werent allowed to do that, so that had to ride it through a already broken window.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The best part is the look The Edge makes to the camera when he steals the car.

:lol:

this one?:wink:

untitled79qg.png

Back
Top Bottom