Last Night on Earth and Walk On Single Versions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miggy D

War Child
I was listening to both versions today, and I have a few questions.

Why wasn't the single version of Last Night on Earth on the album?

And if that can't be explained, why did they use a different version as the single? Why did they use a different vocal? The vocal on the single is so much clearer and less raspy - why didn't they use this vocal on the album? Did Bono record this vocal after the album had been released? If so, why did he change his singing style for it? Why record a less-raspy version solely for the single?

Regarding Walk On: Was this mixed after the album was put out as well? Why are the vocals different? The entire song sounds re-recorded, vocally anyway. Why use entirely different vocals for a single? Why wasn't this version put on the album?

Can anyone help me out here? It's frustrating, listening to these superior versions, thinking they could have been on the albums.

-Mike

Re: LNOE is different Im pretty sure because the album wasn't finished.

But remember that U2 have always issued different remixes for singles all the way back to the early 80s. Look at NY day 3-4 different versions

Walk on: I have 4 versions of that song now.

Album 5/10
Video edit 6/10
Single edit 10/10
Hallelujah remix 9/10

I know I didn't answer your questions.....I thought Id contribute some stuff though:wink:

Last edited:
Pop was rushed to meet deadlines for the tour, the song was finished literally the day before the CDs were to go to press. The single version was more in keeping with the live version. Walk On was also inspired largely by Bono's live improv of the Hallelujah part, and the live arrangement in general. There are actually several different single mixes to Walk On, I believe.

What's the difference between the single version and hallelujah version? I have the single version and there are hallelujahs at the end of it....is this really the hallelujah version then? I'm confused. :eyebrow:

I know there's one single edit that's just shorter, one with the hallelujahs and the spoken word intro, and one with the piano intro and "woaah oh oh"'s. I think that covers it. Think.

Miggy D said:
I was listening to both versions today, and I have a few questions.

Why wasn't the single version of Last Night on Earth on the album?

And if that can't be explained, why did they use a different version as the single? Why did they use a different vocal? The vocal on the single is so much clearer and less raspy - why didn't they use this vocal on the album? Did Bono record this vocal after the album had been released? If so, why did he change his singing style for it? Why record a less-raspy version solely for the single?

Regarding Walk On: Was this mixed after the album was put out as well? Why are the vocals different? The entire song sounds re-recorded, vocally anyway. Why use entirely different vocals for a single? Why wasn't this version put on the album?

Can anyone help me out here? It's frustrating, listening to these superior versions, thinking they could have been on the albums.

-Mike

I remember reading several years ago about how the band rerecorded lots of LNOE in San Diego when they were.touring, so that would account for the differences.

As far as the Single Version of Walk On is concerned, they did rerecord that with Nigel Godrich of Radiohead fame producing.

Re: Re: Last Night on Earth and Walk On Single Versions

ThatGuy said:
As far as the Single Version of Walk On is concerned, they did rerecord that with Nigel Godrich of Radiohead fame producing.

Whoa, seriously?! I don't know if I've ever heard the single version; does anyone have an MP3 they can send me?

apesyx@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Walk On (Single Version): Music by U2. Lyrics by Bono. Produced by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. Engineered by Richard Rainey. Assited by Chris Heaney. Additional production and mixing by Nigel Goodrich. Engineered by Steve Orchard.

I only have the cd single not in mp3 and have no ripping software so sorry. but its the blue walk on single (in oz)

Im sure one of the 23000 people here will help:wink:

I only have the red single version, with Streets and Stay live. But i'm searching for the hallelujah remix. Can't find it! Can anyone send it to me as an mp3 please? Thanx! Pascal.

Maybe put a request down in the MP3 forum. Iv had help down there before.

U2star.com have the hallulujah mix in their multimedia forum. If you're not a member join, post 15 times and you'll get access.
:wink:

Last edited:
All this talk has made me curious to hear the differences myself! Any generous soul wanna shoot over to me the LNOE single version and the Walk On... let's say the single version since brownda7 gave it the full 10/10....

Thanks! rdvgreene@yahoo.com

every single version from pop released after discotheque was modified from the album version except staring at the sun, because the songs weren't finished in the band's mind

Strange, I prefer the vocals on the album version of LNOE, mainly the chorus. In the single version, at the end of the 'give it away' exchanges the Edge's vocal cuts out too sharply, sounds cheap.

Though the little 'slipping away' segment is better on the single version (and a fantastic few seconds of song, by any standards). Love that bit.

bcrt2000 said:
every single version from pop released after discotheque was modified from the album version except staring at the sun, because the songs weren't finished in the band's mind

Actually, Discotheque and SATS were modified on the greatest hits. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom