last album last tour, why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babyman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i don't know why it should be their last album or last tour, i mean there are people like deep purple, aerosmith and rolling stones, who are all almost sixty, and they do still albums(except rs) and tours. the 4 guys are just 42-43...do you know what this means? minimum 10-15 years of career still to come!! i don't believe that u2 are so sick to do their job, bono says everytime that this is the only thing that he can do, and they're still top, they just reached the right maturity, it makes no sense to end after this album. i think these are just commercial voices, to make lots of people buy the album

:shrug:

I remember Bono saying he doesn't see U2 live at the age of 60. IMO they will definitely finish the 3rd decade, after 2010 who knows...? I fear Bono's voice won't be able to handle the stress of a tour by then.

They've said that as long as they're making music they like, they'll keep going, and we know Edge is a perfectionist, so it'd be of some sort of a decent quality at least. I think how long they're around is really dependent on how long they feel the music they're making is of a good quality. I can definitely see them staying until the end of the decade.

and bruce springsteen :)

don?t worry U2 will play until 2010... after that maybe they?ll make songs but not albuns... I mean songs fort movies or shows (that song for the 46664 concert) etc...

Numb1075 said:
why are you saying "last tour/album"?

because there are many who are supposing this theory, for any journalist on tv or on some newspaper u2 seems almost like a band made of grandpas! in music you're never old, especially with 43!! but in the same time these voices may be commercial strategies

It will be their last album/tour, I believe.

I mean, it's not easy for Bono to shake hands with dodgy politicians if he's on tour or in some studio. If he doesn't have to be in either one, that will really free up time to shake hands with politicians.

Well above all else I think that everyone would agree that this will be there last BIG tour. I don't even think it will be as big as elevation. (by big I mean the length of the tour)

...it can't be their last album/tour...

One reason...:
Remember all this stuff about their old studio... and competition for a tower with a new studio on a highest level?
Why U2 was so involved in all this... if it would be their last album?
:hmm:

bathiu said:
...it can't be their last album/tour...

One reason...:
Remember all this stuff about their old studio... and competition for a tower with a new studio on a highest level?
Why U2 was so involved in all this... if it would be their last album?
:hmm:

oh bathiu, you've written a right thing! :) come on guys, let's rock for another 3-4 albums!!

Swan269 said:
Well above all else I think that everyone would agree that this will be there last BIG tour. I don't even think it will be as big as elevation. (by big I mean the length of the tour)

i think it will be a great event, i mean, probably a mix between the last three tours (zoo tv, popmart, elevation)... oh dear, would you imagine?? i actually think the tour will take a year or more, 2005 is their year in the hall of fame, i think they want to celebrate it as the greatest band like they are ;)

I think they have to at least, fullfill label contracts, before "throwing in the towel" what is it, like 2-3 more albums they still have to deliver to Interscope/Island. I think being such a high profile successful band, they can take their time with these albums, but they'd still have to before their last tour/album.

they dont have to write anymore albums

the contract just obligates them that if they do, those albums must be released by that label

they can "retire" at any point

hopefully the new album will be out by 2010

Chizip said:
they dont have to write anymore albums

the contract just obligates them that if they do, those albums must be released by that label

they can "retire" at any point

hopefully the new album will be out by 2010

Is this normal, or are they an exception. I don't know much about the music industry, but I recall some thing, maybe Behind the Music, saying how some band had a certain amount of albums and a time period to deliver them for their label.

:confused: Yes, aren't album contracts usually like that - a band has to release a certain amount of albums in a certain amount of time?

(and if they quit before they make those 6 albums - do they get any penalties or something like that from the label?)

i'm not sure how that works, U2girl. i'm sure there are penalties or whatnot, but when you're as big as U2, i think they can get away with whatever they want.

U2girl said:
:confused: Yes, aren't album contracts usually like that - a band has to release a certain amount of albums in a certain amount of time?

(and if they quit before they make those 6 albums - do they get any penalties or something like that from the label?)

yes, normally it is so. but it doesn't mean that you have to do a new album every 2-3-4 years. you can do a new album, then a best of, then a greatest hits, then a live album etc etc, and so you respect the contract and in the same time you do a lot of money without doing a so hard work! if you'd split off you'd may get penalties, but it gets more difficult, because in music industry flows so much money and everyone takes a big part, bands like managers and discographies, and for sure no one would give up!
i mean, look at all the bands who don't exist anymore, like pink floyd or better queen for instance. through greatest hits and live appearances in festivals or whtaelse they continue to sign contracts in the bands name because they still keep the copyrights, like in fact brian may and roger taylor did. after freddy mercury died they made other albums, made in heaven and a lot of greatest hits. so they, as much as the discographies continued to make money. it's music businness, which never dies!

I can't see them end it when they and the fans are still LOVING their music. Bono has said in the past as long as the fans are happy they will be there. Every band has this cycle, before a new album there are always rumores that this is it. Its mean and it herts me.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom