Last Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xovonob now!

The Fly
I know that some people will get upset at the thought (and it is a somewhat depressing one)... but somebody has to pose the question.

Will this be their last studio album? To me their seem to be a lot of lyrical references to standing at the edge. And Yahweh feels like a closing prayer, somehow summing up Bono's hopes for his art and life.

(My apologies if this has already been asked recently or should be posted elsewhere...)

Last edited:
I don't even want to think about that at the moment. Right now, all I'm concerning myself with is this bloody brilliant album. :drool:

I guess form now on we'll always have that question around. Shit. I don't think this will be their last album. This album is a proof that they don't have any reason to stop. They're doing some of their best music after 25 years and are still touching new grounds. That's more than impressive. These people obviously have a lot of love for music making inside of them. The time and effort they put on this particular album to me is not because it might be their last one but it’s really a testament to how committed and how much it is necessary for them to still do high quality music. We need them too much for them quit now and I think they know it and that they like it that way. :wink:

Well, Bono did allude in that interference interview that "Elevation" and "Walk On" deserve a place on The Best Of 2000-2010, and I doubt there will only be one album released from now until 2010.

no way, u2 could have left it alone at ground beneath her feet/all that you can't leave it behind/electrical storm/hands that built america because those would be fitting closing songs to their career, but with this new album they stirred the pot to keep things going at least for another decade!

I admit the same thing crossed my mind simply because it's so damn good - but at the same time, it kinda does reset the bar the way that Achtung Baby did - I can see them riding this one really high, and if the tour pushes them that much more ala something like Zoo or Elevation, it seems like the opposite of "last album" fears would be true - it might lead to even more creative juices a'pumpin'.

2 crap albums and they are done. So far, it looks like they will be making at least 2 more albums.:hyper:

I have already posed this questions many times in the past. And yes, it does have the feel of the last album of one of the greatest bands of this century (and the last one) who want to end their career with a big bang of atomic bomb proportions and finish it off with an upbeat closing prayer. If this is U2's last, it would have been a great career.

Cheers,

J

They can't make a Best Of 2000-2010 with only the material available now. Plus, considering all the creativity in this album, it seems U2 still have 'it' in them and will continue to make music.

wow, I could have sworn I saw jick in the thread creator section :sexywink:

If it is, it's a great way to go out. But I get the impression from the interviews that the boys aren't quite ready to call it quits yet. I say two more albums and the last best of.

There's a Bono quote: "I don't wanna be in a crap band, and the minute U2 becomes a crap band, we're, you
know, we're all out of here. And crap does not mean, it's not measured in sales, or
even relevance, it's about the sense of adventure, is it still there, are you still
blowing your own mind, are you still growing as a musician, and as a songwriter, and as
a person, and I think, I think that in U2 we are, right now."

This music sounds like they're still blowing their own minds. As long as U2 feel like they can still improve, and as long as they feel like they're still making music that matters, they'll keep doing it. That creative tank isn't done yet.

Besides, one would think if they know going into an album that it's gonna be the last, they'd name it 'Man' just for a nice sense of closure, dont' ya think?

namkcuR said:
T
Besides, one would think if they know going into an album that it's gonna be the last, they'd name it 'Man' just for a nice sense of closure, dont' ya think?

I would hate that. Clever, yeah, they were gonna do it with Achtung, yeah. But "Man" just doesn't strike me as a good title. :shrug:

I think "Dream Out Loud" does need to show up somewhere besides the occasional lyric, though. Sounds more box-set-sy though.

Neil McCormick said HTDAAB "wasn't the big U2 rock album" so perhaps that is a direction they might wanna try still..I think it would be creatively interesting for the band anyway.

OF THE END or at least THAT BIG CHANGE IS COMING

Time… time
Won’t leave me as I am
But time won’t take the boy out of this man (City of Blinding Lights -- Bono's persona, and U2’s first album, was the Boy. Remember ATYCLB’s Kite? “I’m a man, I’m not a child.” Bono now realizes time is passing him: In 2000 he was a man, perhaps the adult U2 is leaving too. Still the spirit lives on.)

I’m getting ready to leave the ground…. (City of Blinding Lights)

Yahweh, Yahweh
Always pain before a child is born
Yahweh, Yahweh
Still I’m waiting for the dawn (Yahweh -- expecting a new beginning… outside of U2?)

Baby slow down
The end is not as fun as the start
Please stay a child somewhere in your heart (Original of the Species -- although I believe this song is in some sense a reference to Bono’s father and his passing)

One step closer to knowing…
I’m hanging out to dry…
I’m on an island at a busy intersection
I can’t go forward, I can’t turn back
Can’t see the future
It’s getting away from me
(On Step Close -- the whole song seems to be about knowing what’s on “the other side”. This seems like it could apply to finding Heaven, the after life, or life after U2.)

I just arrived, I’m at the door
Of the place I started out from
And I want back inside
(All Because of You -- To me this song is on some level a big “thank you” to U2’s fans. 25 years have gone by and Bono feels like the band just began. He knows its about to end and he wants back inside.)

As you enter this life
I pray you depart
With a wrinkled face
And a brand new heart
(Love and Peace or Else -- This is clearly a political song, but this lyric still suggests they perhaps they are thinking about making sure they still have the same heart they had when they were still young lads in starting a band in Dublin.)

I'm asking for the check

Lights go down, and all I know
Is that you give me something
I can feel your love teaching me how
Your love is teaching me how
How to kneel, kneel (Vertigo – "Lights go down” invokes the end of the show. What have they learned? How to kneel… which suggests either prayer to the Almighty, or some kind of submission.)

The night is full of holes
These bullets rip the sky
Of ink with gold
They twinkle as the boys
Play rock and roll
They know that they can't dance
At least they know (Vertigo, again -- this reads like a recitation of the stages of U2’s career. “The night is full of holes” reminds me of the descriptions in A Sort of Homecoming from the Unforgettable Fire album. “These bullets rip the sky” sounds very close to Bullet the Blue Sky… and ink is often blue. “They know that they can’t dance”: Wasn’t that the whole lesson learned post Pop and Discotheque. (This piece may be a reach).

I realize that some of these may be dead wrong, or at least out of context. But in my mind, all these references add up and suggest something of a theme. Even the album cover: the four of them sitting in a row, almost looks like they are waiting for a bus, something to take them away.

I personally hate the idea of the band breaking up. If they can keep making records as good as this one, I’ll be ecstatic. But time does pass, and at some point the end must come. And for a while Bono has been talking about making the perfect record, and this, he feels, is it or nearly it. There’s got to come a point where you think you’ve come as close as you’re going to come. I never thought ATYCLB would be their last album, even though Bono has said the last song the band would play is Amazing Grace and that album ended with Grace. However a few weeks ago when the lyrics were first leaked, I was struck by at least some of these references. If there were just one or two of these references, I would think this was just me. But these references are practically in every song.

PS - as for the argument that they have another Best of coming, I'm pretty sure they'd not have a trouble convincing their label to sub this contract for a live double cd (which would inevitably have a best of nature). Or they have enough money just to break the contract and walk away, walk away....

kakvox said:
2 crap albums and they are done. So far, it looks like they will be making at least 2 more albums.:hyper:

I don’t think the question could have been answered any better!

We all know about the 2 crap album and they quit rule, but in my opinion, U2 can't make a crap album. They just don't have the ability to do it, they work too hard and put too much heart and soul into their work to put out crap. Therefore, I don't think the rule really means that much.

i can understand where u are coming from, but i think the band have atleast afew more albums left in the tank :D

I think it's also worth noting that Bono is saying this is their first album. What band only puts out one album? There's definitely more to come, folks.

Oh yeah...

"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb".... I've heard Bono's story that Bono was the atomic bomb following his dad's passing. But here's another reading:

How to dismantle U2. In many ways the band, in all their noise and dominance have been an atomic bomb. It must feel pretty difficult to wind down after 25 years of getting larger and more powerful.

Cutters10C said:
We all know about the 2 crap album and they quit rule, but in my opinion, U2 can't make a crap album. They just don't have the ability to do it, they work too hard and put too much heart and soul into their work to put out crap. Therefore, I don't think the rule really means that much.

The band takes Pop to be “crap” because of its poor reviews and lacklustre performance in the market. Remember Rattle & Hum?

Well that saddens me if Pop is considered a crap album because I love that album. I also love most of Rattle and Hum. (All I Want is You, Desire, Heartland, Hawkmoon, Angel of Harlem are all greta songs in my opinion.)

Cutters10C said:
Well that saddens me if Pop is considered a crap album because I love that album. I also love most of Rattle and Hum. (All I Want is You, Desire, Heartland, Hawkmoon, Angel of Harlem are all greta songs in my opinion.)

Well to U2's standards POP is considered a crap album. U2 takes into account commercial success when gauging whether their albums are crap or not.

Cheers,

J

Axver said:
I think it's also worth noting that Bono is saying this is their first album. What band only puts out one album? There's definitely more to come, folks.

Yup. :yes:

"We've been in a band longer than we haven't. People think it's like being in a street gang or something, well, it's much more like the priesthood or like the mob. It's an organization that you won't get out of it while you're alive. Being in a band is a wonderful thing." Bono, during the Irving Plaza show, New York. December 5, 2000

I think his feelings are still the same today. :up:

Back
Top Bottom