Larry's weak point

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mullen4Prez

Banned
Q. It must hurt when you see scalpers getting tickets that were intended for fan club members.

A. It's like I said in the note on the Web site: The idea that your loyal audience is competing with scalpers for tickets is appalling. Unfortunately, it is now part and parcel of what happens. There aren't laws to prevent it. But I think what really upset me more than anything else was the assertion by various fan Web sites who got on some kind of bandwagon where there were accusations of impropriety by the band -- that this was some kind of money-grabbing move and we didn't care about our fans. That's what really upset me more than anything else.

I'm a private kind of person. I love being in the band, and it's my life. I work hard at it, but there are things that I'm not very good at. One of them is meeting the fans and being a man of the people -- I'm not very good at it, and I don't feel particularly comfortable in that position. Bono, on the other hand, thrives on it. Because he does it, it means I'm not under the same kind of pressure. People have taken that as me being surly or disrespectful, but that's not the truth.

The reality is that behind the scenes, I take a real interest in what's happening, with ticketing, with U2.com, with all those things. This time around, because everything was up in the air, I didn't have my finger on the pulse, and I was angry that I hadn't been more in charge and actually taken the bull by the balls and stopped the tickets going on sale the way they did. I felt guilty about that, and I felt that a lot of people, loyal U2 fans, were being treated badly, not because of anything that we'd done, just because the system had broken down.

He's not good at meeting the fans.........
:sad:

Just be nice and dont scare him - try to think like Larry and ask yourself "if I was him, what would least annoy me from a fan?"

I dont have the answer.....

He likes Harleys!

Its so hard to know what to say - I've always thought I'd say some cool stuff to Bono if I ever had a chance but I bet if I met him Id just dribble shit and gush at him!

I did leave a letter in his letterbox once, but Im guessing he probbly just threw it away......

When u gonna meet Larry?

I think, and this is just my intrepretion of that quote, that he probably doesn't mind a random fan asking for an autograph or a handshake and going about their merry way. Its been mentioned several times that he has a dislike and is leary of those who are little too... shall we say... enthusiastic.

no no no I think you misunderstood me.

what I meant was that Larry is leary of those who have more of an "obsessive" fascination of him/the band, in a bad way.

Edit to add; I'm sure if you were at a show and saw him he'd give you an autograph/handshake/say hello.

Last edited:
Larry seems to be, IMO, a very nice man. But, I am not sure as to what I would say to him other than "Hello. It is a pleasure to me you"....sort of thing. I think I would have a much easier time, chatting with Bono. Because I am so aware of Bono's activisism and I could always ask him questions about it.

myusernamehere said:
no no no I think you misunderstood me.

what I meant was that Larry is leary of those who have more of an "obsessive" fascination of him/the band, in a bad way.

Edit to add; I'm sure if you were at a show and saw him he'd give you an autograph/handshake/say hello.

:happy:

Back
Top Bottom