Larry's drumming during Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
I'm sitting here typing a paper while listening to Popmart--Sarajevo...anyway, this pops in my head whenever I listen to this show. During Please, when the lines "september, streets capsizing" begin, I noticed that Larry's drumming has the same beat as it does during Sunday Bloody Sunday. It's much different however on the studio version of Please. Maybe I'm dense for not noticing this sooner, but I'll use anything as an excuse to take a break from writing this crappy paper. Just wondering if there was any signiicance to this, or if I'm just crazy...

smile.gif

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Yeah it was meant to be Sunday Bloody Sunday beat. But of the record... Isn't it wierd when you listen to the songs lyrics.

" September, streets capsizing..." Its like looking into the future.

Yeah, it's creepy as hell...

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Whoa! I never noticed that about the drumming.

Yeah, that part of the song that goes through the months starting with Sept. is eerie. It is perfect for what went on on 9/11, yet it came out 4 1/2 yrs before that day. When I saw them perform it in Philly in Nov., I heard a few gasps around me when they got up to that part, like people had forgotten it and then realised how perfect it went along with what happened.

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:

You want to know what makes it creepier??? I may be looking into this a bit much but:
-It's the 11th track on the album
-"September streets capsizing" is said at 3:33 of the song. Add the 3's and you get 9. (9-11).

Sometimes I genuinely believe he is a prophet.

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

Originally posted by u2loopy:

You want to know what makes it creepier??? I may be looking into this a bit much but:
-It's the 11th track on the album
-"September streets capsizing" is said at 3:33 of the song. Add the 3's and you get 9. (9-11).

That is a weird...
I just happened to listen to it again after 9/11 and got chills.

------------------
Daisy :)

She's standing at the station with her face pressed up against the glass.

"Jon, why can't you do what Bono says"--The Daily Show

Originally posted by u2loopy:

Sometimes I genuinely believe he is a prophet.

Yeah, I hear that, especially with the themes of ATYCLB, new york, the whole airport thing...

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Yeah, I hear that, especially with the themes of ATYCLB, new york, the whole airport thing...

... And don't forget "Peace On Earth", and a number of songs about death, and letting go. I remember that during the days following Sept. 11th I listened to news radio all the time, and hadn't put in a cd. Then the following weekend I put in ATYCLB and I couldn't belive how much insight that album had, and how much more relevant it seemed. I am sure that 10 years from now people will think of it as a post 9/11 album.

Yeah, that's what I meant about the overall themes, death, forgiveness, etc. I was just too lazy to write that, lol.

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Ok you guys are reading waaaaay too much into this...

You find secret meanings everywhere...

It's the same with Nostradamus...

People like to believe.

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Please actually refers to the Northern Ireland peace process, which as you know is about wanting to quell terrorism.

Therefore, the song Please can be applied to any acts of terrorism or threat of terrorism.

The lyrics have been borne out to be an accurate representation of how these things work.

A lot of people knew that already, but it would appear events of recent times have alerted the more happily innocent persons of the harsh realities of certain parts of life.

Originally posted by gherman:
Yeah it was meant to be Sunday Bloody Sunday beat. But of the record... Isn't it wierd when you listen to the songs lyrics.

" September, streets capsizing..." Its like looking into the future.

Coincidence is always amazing. I was listening to A Sort of Homecoming that day which was during our homecoming week. Somewhere in there it says "the dust a smoke screen all around." Weird stuff I say, weird stuff.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
Please actually refers to the Northern Ireland peace process, which as you know is about wanting to quell terrorism.

Therefore, the song Please can be applied to any acts of terrorism or threat of terrorism.

The lyrics have been borne out to be an accurate representation of how these things work.

A lot of people knew that already, but it would appear events of recent times have alerted the more happily innocent persons of the harsh realities of certain parts of life.

You make it sound like people who aren't used to terrorist activity are spoiled or something. Nobody should have to fucking go through with shit like that!

mad.gif

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Well then I apologize--I'm at work and feeling hostile tonight, lol!

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Back
Top Bottom