Larry's Acting in 'Electrical Storm' Video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have no idea why im raising this topic, mainly because anton has released a film just recently and i guess it was something that crossed my mind. another interesting correlation to all this is samantha morton is the lead actor in the film 'control'

we all know larry is not an actor by trade, but he was alright, mainly because anton has good artistic direction and knows what hes doing

for one he made depeche mode the band that they are by giving them a 'cool' image, after depeche mode spent a lot of time in the 80s battling sartorial nightmares, bad 80s haircuts, wearing 80s makeup and so on and so forth

if anyone has depeche mode dvds and videos they'll know where im coming from. when anton took over the artistic direction of depeche mode in terms of their image, anton used the most obvious accessory to give a band struggling with their image a boost - sunglasses.

if anyone has seen the videos for never let me down again, behind the wheel, personal jesus - they'll know what im talking about. it was as time went on the band felt more confident with themselves that they disbanded with the sunglasses, to the point that by the time they made videos for 'walking in my shoes', 'in your room' and 'barrel of a gun' there wasnt a shadow of any sunglasses.

now what this has to do with the electrical storm video? corbijn's editing came to the fore, samantha morton put in a fine and passionate performance, but larry (who's nowhere as good an actor as depeche mode's dave gahan) didnt have any 'implied' dialogue or and didnt open his mouth in the video. corbijn also used the shot of using larry's back to the audience embracing samantha morton, with samantha morton facing the audience. anton also gave the audience 'what they wanted to see' when larry was on screen with shots of his pecs and shots of him wet and whatever.

after all that, would they use larry mullen as lead actor in a u2 video again? i know its been implied that none of the members of u2 really pass as eye candy - with the exception of larry. another explanation as to why they get him more time for the band's videos is because hes always at the back of the stage as the band's drummer and you cant really see him whenever you go to a u2 concert

It's the worst of Corbijn's U2 videos for me, wet Larry or not.
It reeks of the usual "How can we get in with the young kids ? I know, let's have a band member get cosy with a young attractive female" thing most of the aging rock bands do.

I love the song and like the video's atmosphere, but I am not very fond of the excessive snogging, not because it's Larry, I wouldn't like it if it was ANY band member, in fact I find it quite embarrassing and it doesn't really fit the song's theme. It seems they were simply trying too hard.

They could have made more with this particular setting, it's a shame they didn't.

Yes, it is actually disturbing to see such a teenagery video for a U2 song and I have always wondered how someone like Larry, who complains because he is seen as an object of sexual desire could think that shooting this video could improve the situation... :huh:

and the raindeer.. for God's sake!:slant:

Last edited:
edurban said:
Yes, it is actually disturbing to see such a teenagery video for a U2 song
:huh: Oh, you mean because of all the skatboarding, half naked girls, and lots of bling? Seriously, what is "teenagery" about this video?

edurban said:

and I have always wondered how someone like Larry, who complains because he is seen as an object of sexual desire could think that shooting this video could improve the situation... :huh:
Larry complains that he is a sex object? Never heard that one...

edurban said:

and the raindeer.. for God's sake!:slant:
Yeah, that was completely random and unexplained.

As far as Larry's acting, Anton did a great job of avoiding Larry's facial expressions, the one fight scene looks has moments where Larry looks like he is either going to start cracking up or could care less. I think there's a reason Larry is given such little airtime.

last unicorn said:
I love the song and like the video's atmosphere, but I am not very fond of the excessive snogging, not because it's Larry, I wouldn't like it if it was ANY band member, in fact I find it quite embarrassing and it doesn't really fit the song's theme. It seems they were simply trying too hard.

They could have made more with this particular setting, it's a shame they didn't.

How do you figure that snogging doesn't fit the song's theme? The song is about lovers fighting and making up.

Dana

CrashedCarDriver said:
i have no idea why im raising this topic, mainly because anton has released a film just recently and i guess it was something that crossed my mind. another interesting correlation to all this is samantha morton is the lead actor in the film 'control'

Well, since this is a strange thread, I'm just going to go ahead and say that I highly recommend anyone and everyone to go see Control if they get a chance. Fantastic movie...

david said:
uhhh why does it seem "teenagery" to people?

it just seems really arty and weird to me.

It's because there are characters "acting" a story, a bit like the old Aerosmith videos with Liv Tyler and that other one who did clueless. It seems very unlike U2, I dont' know, maybe it's just my impression.

edurban said:

It's because there are characters "acting" a story, a bit like the old Aerosmith videos with Liv Tyler and that other one who did clueless. It seems very unlike U2, I dont' know, maybe it's just my impression.

So then All I Want is You would have been "teenagery"?

Come on, please!!! Some of the greatest videos have plots and characters acting out a story, what makes this "teenagery"?:huh:

Yeah, I don't actually remember any moment in the clip in which Larry gets a lap dance and does a sort of Kenneth Williams esque expression at the camera before having a laugh.

The clip would certainly benefit from this, though.

The Sad Punk said:
Yeah, I don't actually remember any moment in the clip in which Larry gets a lap dance and does a sort of Kenneth Williams esque expression at the camera before having a laugh.

exactly, it just sounds like someone's reaching...

Trinity3000 said:
Larry's acting is shite. Mostly it's just Samantha Morton acting away while he stands there looking at her.

That pretty much sums it up. Samantha Morton blows him out of the water (no pun intended) acting-wise. Fortunately the contrast isn't that noticeable until the scene where they argue.

I think Bono pulls off the whole acting thing better than Larry. I thought he was good in the Stay video. But I think it would have been disastrous to pair him with Samantha Morton in the ES video because of the obvious age difference between them (I know, Larry's only a year younger than Bono, but he's so young-looking that he doesn't seem that much older than Samantha, so the make-out scenes were hot rather than ewwww.)

Trinity3000 said:
Larry's acting is shite. Mostly it's just Samantha Morton acting away while he stands there looking at her.

Ditto. Doesn't change the fact that I could be perfectly happy watching 'Wet Larry' folding his socks or feeding his cat.

The moment I truly hate is when SM screams "I hate you". Duh. We didn't need to see those words. Any good director will tell you "show them, don't tell them" Minus 2 points for Anton, IMHO.

Larry's acting was ok. I think it was a good video by U2's recent standards. Would have been a lot better if there weren't, like always, so many shots of the band playing. Like Anton's video for One, it would have been a lot better if they hadn't insisted on him filming them playing their insturuments so much.

zuropa_fit said:

The moment I truly hate is when SM screams "I hate you". Duh. We didn't need to see those words. Any good director will tell you "show them, don't tell them" Minus 2 points for Anton, IMHO.

Yes, I agree, it might be actually this moment that made me think: "Teenagery".

I am probably disturbed by all the snogging as well, I can't see Larry being an "actor" and not hitting his drums... it's weird, too weird!

I have watched the video many and many times but still think it's weird and disturbing.

Back
Top Bottom