Larry on WOWY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardosino

War Child
Anyone know why Larry has been milquetoast on WOWY in recent years ? He really attacked WOWY on the JT tour, filling in every conceivable gap, he hasn't done it that way in years.

Speaking of WOWY, what about that version from the '93 Adeliade pro-shot? Where did that working of the track come from and where did it go? Go to your archives right now and listen/watch that performance and tell me there is a more unique performance of the song ever!

Loved the drumming of that song during Rattle and Hum. It blows me away everytime I hear it.

MY VHS of ZooTV Sydney is now very shakey and beyond repair when you get to WOWY as i played it to death. It's just a wonderful performance from Bono. If that's not soul, i don't know what is.

It's always really annoyed me larry never plays live the drum part he recorded on JT. Rattle and Hum live is the closest he comes, after that he changed it live and its just not as good.

I disagree. The album version was great, but he waaaaay overplayed it on the JT tour. It seems to me that he knows best, and if he's changed it so much it would indicate that he wasn't satisfied with the version from the R&H era.

I think that the way that it was played on Elevation is just so graceful and powerful - which is far more in line with the album version. He has totally matured as a musician since 87-88, and his playing reflects it.

Frankly i think he's less inventive these days, and his playing lacks conviction.

Yeah, I prefer JT/R&H Larry AND Boy/War Larry to Elevation Larry. He used to have this recklessness and energetic power when he drummed that has dimmed in recent years.

He has become a better musician, but he needs that spark. It adds something extra to a live setting.

Back
Top Bottom