Larry is the only one who did not elevate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
redhill, you should just listen and decide what breaks or specifics you hear and like. Why wait for somone else to tell you what to like. I hear great specifics but just because I can't verbalize it in a way you want doesn't make my or anyone elses opinion less valid.
Just chill and listen and then tell us what you hear..
Love & Peace. :heart:

csimpok said:
I'm a drummer but I don't find Larry's work boring or bad. It's just enough. Anyway, U2 is not the band that used to have huge drum solos in their songs.
Redhill: Would you tell me the U2 songs where you hear great drumming?

I am NOT a drummer so I can't generally tell you exactly which drum he is hitting, but let me mention a few of my favorites.

First might be "Bad." I say this b/c it is maybe the only time he ever really goes into a haphazard cymbal pattern. Near the end right before and perhaps the last "Wide awake", the cymbal pattern get more persistent in anticipation of the soaring vocals and some of the hits are not even in perfect timing it seems. I always loved that freeflowing playing there.

I like the beats that sound like they are falling down. Not sure how else to explain it. "ASOHomecoming" comes to ming and there is another that I can't think of. The pattern sounds great to me ear and highly unusual. Never heard another drummer hit the drums in that succession...

Can you tell I like UF??

Mofo of course is great due to sheer stamina and was always dissapointed we did not get a full album version live. Closest was Europe awards but it as if the rhythm section is pre-recorded there...

The repetitive rolls at then end of Walk On...

Bullet during Popmart and his thrashing timing.

The high hat work in So Cruel (and the production on the drums in that song - whatever they did the high hats sounds out of this world.) Everyone likes bass - I want the treble!

The hip hop beat used In A Little While (studio not live) was very unique for Larry.

The rolls and laid back yet still crisp timing in Don't Take Your Guns to Town.

The subdued brushwork in the live AIWIYou from Omagh tribute.

The punctuating cymbal crashes near the end of Electric Co. played live when Bono is doing his Bonolese. Here Larry is synched with Edge's riff in a way that is unique for U2. The high notes are timed with the crash for a while!

The wood block in the beginning of October is funny and he uses chimes live. That is cool.

The emotive playing during LIBlindness. In Sydney during Zoo his stoic look on his face says it all and the same emotion comes out in his playing. He is almost disgusted and playing a step slower then he normally would.

The rapid fire pace of Wire. Another demonstration of amazing Stamina.

The way he went into SBS during the end of Please and I thought/hoped he would before I ever heard him do it!

Finally, although I could go on for a long time, the fact that I don't think I have EVER SEEN HIM MAKE A MISTAKE LIVE. And have watched a lot of live U2.

Don't know about the new album yet as it is too new but would love to hear any comments about the songs in this post and any other thoughts about Larry's favorite moments!

honestly, i wish the drums were a little higher in the mix. i feel like in some songs the guitars and bass just wash larry right out of the album.

sorry, not much else to add to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom