Larry considering leaving the band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If he left, the charisma of the band's sound would diminish...look at REM, they've lost so much greatness since their drummer left..which is pretty tragic to me as a big fan. :(

Larry is an important piece of the U2 puzzle. They could probably get a more highly skilled drummer but Larry has a particular sound/ style that fits U2's sound. Also, I just don't see the group being comfortable playing with a session musician or another drummer. They can probably pull an REM but it would probably weird up the U2 dynamics when they do song writing. You notice these days, they seem to stick with what they know (i.e Lillywhite, Lanois, Flood, etc.)... Chris Thomas seemed to be dropped after a year. It just points to how they seem to need a specific comfort level.

Its hard to mention this story being true or that he would want to quit. When VH-1 did the legends thing, Larry sounded like the only one who wanted to keep the band going while others were talking about one or two crap albums and end of band.

Last edited:
I hope no one is taking this seriously, its a tabloid story. Bono is leaving for his political life, and Larry is leaving to act, whats next? Adam is leaving to start his own supermodel agency? Give me a break.

RademR said:
I hope no one is taking this seriously, its a tabloid story. Bono is leaving for his political life, and Larry is leaving to act, whats next? Adam is leaving to start his own supermodel agency? Give me a break.

dont forget edge will leave to discover intergalactic space travel.

:coocoo: The people that wrote that are coocoo.

Larry's the only one that doesn't look like he really enjoys acting in U2 videos, so why would he become an actor??? :lmao:

i think after the tour they will do solo projets for a while before getting together again for the next album/next tour in 2008/9
larry's gonna go to hollywood, bono will make his own political party, edge will do his first solo album and............adam............ehhhhm, he'll probably go the moon! :wink:

Mullen could be on the way out. Considering the HTDAAB drumming statistics I uncovered:

http://forum.interference.com/t101872.html

And you all add that to the fact that Mullen's drum is so low in the mix in this latest album - and all the talk has been about Bono's songwriting (influenced by his dad's death), and the Edge' guitar playing (return to the signature sound) - there could be the possibility that Mullen in unhappy. But I'd say that possibility is quite remote.

On the flip side, with so little drumming and with the drums so low in the mix in this album I honestly can't wait for them to bring the songs live. It should sound more powerful and raw (although all the additional Edge guitar layers and synths may not be produced in the live setting).

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom