Larry Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
no ladies, not for his looks. (sorry).

I've always thought highly of larry's drumming. I was just listening to SBS from Boston elevation. The man is a rock. obviously having to play to sequencers for years has strengthened his time feel. he's also very unique in his concept, such as with or without you, streets, bad, and many others.
he's also very serious and doesn't stand for any bullshit.
good man that larry.:larry: :wink:

I've always been a big fan of that man's drumming. Yeah he's not Keith Moon or anything... but he's consistently come up with some creative rhythms over the years. He usually sticks with the standard 3/4 or 4/4 time signature, but plays some great stuff within it. I'm thinking of the drums in Walk On for instance, or Acrobat.
cheers for Larry! :larry:

yeah, but listen to:

mofo
please
UTEOTW
WGRYWH
desire
MOTD
exit
EPAA
wire
etc.:happy:

I admire his no-nonsense attitude towards celebritydom/ hollywoodization of rock, as Adam calls it.

"I hit things, and people clap."

I don't know if the interviewer was sucking up or not, but some drumming magazine told him how his technique and set up is quite different/unique compared to most drummers.

As the other band mambers, larry is not the most technically gifted but he has an uniqueness in the way he manages the drums that makes him recognizable in the very first beats.
The feeling that I always had with larry's druming is that it's much more than a part of the rythmic section, the drums works also as an instrument contributing to the whole melody of the song.

One of the things that I love most about Larry is the fact that he is the peacemaker-he's always been the first one to remind them all that their friendship comes first-even before the band or the music. Larry is the backbone of U2. I also love his "no bull-shit" attitude-it's so great to see someone as talented & famous as he is who doesn't WANT to be pampered & petted & fawned over...he would much rather just be left alone!

Oh yeah, he's a pretty good drummer too!;)

Mullen's greatest contribution to U2 is starting the band. His drumming leaves a little to be desired and live he does the same drum roll to end all the songs - which makes it predictable and tiring. But with Bono's attention-grabbing singing showmanship style, and Edge ringing sounds that echo in your ear long after the show is over - it is only fitting that Mullen and Clayton just keep the band intact, play tight simple lines with a lot of discipline and repetition. They do the dirty work and keep it steady as the foundation of the band. If Mullen drummed like Neil or Lars, then he would be drawing the attention away from Edge and Bono and U2 would never be U2. Ditto for Clayton if he did a Flea or Geddy. The U2 rhythm section are nothing fancy, and are perhaps technically inadequate, but they are not lacking in discipline and cohesion. They hold the fort for the band and play their roles well.

Cheers,

J

It's probably my complete inability to pay attention to things (and lets not start on my care factor), but really I couldn't give a shit what Larry either looks like or how good or bad he is as a drummer.
It only needs to sound good.

Jick I think you and I are complete personality opposites :wink:

He is really a unique drummer. He is really very talented musician. Larry doesn?t use the drums only as a part of the rhytm section. There?s something special about him. The atmosphere or the percussions? instruments he chose and the way he use them... Who really involved in music cares about Keith Moon or Lars Ullrich. Drumming is not athletic discipline. I mean not only speed and power are important. It?s not sprint or something.

Back
Top Bottom