Larry & The Edge - Wankers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellay

Refugee
At the end of the History Mix on the 1990-2000 Best Of bonus DVD there's the clip from the Simpsons where Adam calls Larry and the Edge 'wankers.'

Being a relatively harsh swear word in the UK, whenever I've seen this episode played in Britain, it's been edited out.

I was wondering if it's actually been played anywhere as part of a full episode, especially in the US, where the term isn't generally used, and yet where the sight of Janet Jackson right breast causes a moral breakdown and a state of national emergency?

We had the full episode here, in Australia.

I once watched a documentary on the production of the TV show Xena. The blonde sidekick person was commenting how in the USA she throws around the word "wankers" and its a pretty light term. In New Zealand, where Xena was filmed, she found herself in all sorts of bother calling people "wankers".

Theres an Australian episode of the Simpsons that also has some harsh words in it too. I forget what. It was still played though.

Then again, Janets boob was a full page photo here, no drama.

The world is weird.

Ellay said:
At the end of the History Mix on the 1990-2000 Best Of bonus DVD there's the clip from the Simpsons where Adam calls Larry and the Edge 'wankers.'

Being a relatively harsh swear word in the UK, whenever I've seen this episode played in Britain, it's been edited out.

I was wondering if it's actually been played anywhere as part of a full episode, especially in the US, where the term isn't generally used, and yet where the sight of Janet Jackson right breast causes a moral breakdown and a state of national emergency?
"wankers" is not edited out in the US Simpsons.

We heard the whole "wankers" bit here in the U.S.. By the way, what exactly is a wanker anyway?

You use it to describe an arsehole, but it's slang for one who masturbates so it = a jerk in all it's meanings

There's also a different ending to that episode in some parts - I think we only had the plain black credits, but some parts had the ending where they're on the plane and Bono steals Adam's Springfield spoon, throws it back and it hits Mr Burns, who calls them wankers again.
I'm unsure if i've seen that ending in the UK before... I think I have,when it was first aired, but not anytime recently.

Peg Bundy's maiden name from Married With Children is Wanker and she comes from Wanker County.

I thought it strange that Janet Jackson’s boob caused such a stir last year, but at this years Super Bowl Paul McCartney sang about California grass and no one seemed to complain.

beau2ifulday said:
There's also a different ending to that episode in some parts - I think we only had the plain black credits, but some parts had the ending where they're on the plane and Bono steals Adam's Springfield spoon, throws it back and it hits Mr Burns, who calls them wankers again.
I'm unsure if i've seen that ending in the UK before... I think I have,when it was first aired, but not anytime recently.

the spooning throwing at the end is the UK ending and "wanker" is edited out because it's before 9pm
that little bit with adam and edge and larry is not put into the actual episode

And this is I think a mocking the fact that Bono had called the french president a wanker when accepting an award

Eliv8 said:
I thought it strange that Janet Jackson’s boob caused such a stir last year, but at this years Super Bowl Paul McCartney sang about California grass and no one seemed to complain.

Why's that strange? There's a huge difference between talking and doing. If McCartney had lit up on stage, there would have been an outcry. :wink:

Ellay said:
The sight of Janet Jackson right breast causes a moral breakdown and a state of national emergency?

Ha ha ha! You've summed it up perfectly...! I only realised in the last few years that America is so SENSITIVE to put it one way...!! :eyebrow:

knox said:

Why's that strange? There's a huge difference between talking and doing. If McCartney had lit up on stage, there would have been an outcry. :wink:

Ha ha ha! Can you imagine that?! Macca taking a quick break between songs and having a quick smoke of the ganja on stage?? :wink:

beli said:
We had the full episode here, in Australia.

I once watched a documentary on the production of the TV show Xena. The blonde sidekick person was commenting how in the USA she throws around the word "wankers" and its a pretty light term. In New Zealand, where Xena was filmed, she found herself in all sorts of bother calling people "wankers".

Theres an Australian episode of the Simpsons that also has some harsh words in it too. I forget what. It was still played though.

Then again, Janets boob was a full page photo here, no drama.

The world is weird.

LOL, no kidding.

Personally, I kinda find the word to be amusing, myself *Shrugs*. Most words in this world don't bother me...it'd have to be something really cruel to get me all riled up. But your average swear word, or something like this word...meh. Not a bother to me.

I didn't know that was on the DVD, either. I'll have to check that out.

Angela

"Wanker" is a swear word? I didn't know that! I think people here just see it as a goofy European slang word and don't have a clue what it means (like me three minutes ago). I just assumed it meant that someone was mischievous or something.

u2simp11.jpg

wankers...

Rachel D. said:
"Wanker" is a swear word? I didn't know that! I think people here just see it as a goofy European slang word and don't have a clue what it means (like me three minutes ago). I just assumed it meant that someone was mischievous or something.

I grew up in NZ with 'wanker' being not far below 'fuck' and 'cunt' in terms of crassness. It seems to be taken slightly less harshly here in Australia, but it's definitely not a word you'd go throwing around willy-nilly like 'bloody'.

I love how it's tacked on the end of the History Mix

altho they shuld have added something about Adam's spoon collection:wink:

Oh yeah, in the U.S. we get the whole thing.

Funny bit.

Edge: "oh here we go, how about we slip out to Moe's for a pint?"

Adam: "Can I come?"

Animated Edge looks at Larry, then says "No."

Adam: "Wankers."

Edge looks at him, Adam strums guitar while whistling.

LOL!

Btw, an episode of Vh1's "Behind the Music" let the word "shite" go unedited, but was bleeped when pronounced "shit."

beli said:

Was that when Marge called Mr. Burns an asshole?

Trash of the titans.... that was a pretty funny episode....
i liked the part where Homer fools McGuiness by saying he is the potato guy and sneaks on stage

and the wankers bit wasn't edited over here either

knox said:

I think it’s strange that drug use, or reference to it, should be more accepted than a naked breast. How many people have been killed by boobs? Or had to go to rehab for looking at a pair of them?

Back
Top Bottom