Larry and Bono: no album in 2007, Popmart and no Milan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2place.com has a a report from a fan Max who lives in London (he was also among those fans who got the "no Milan DVD, Popmart instead" news from Adam earlier). He got to talk to Larry and Bono and he got this news:

- the band is working on new material, but there will not be a new U2 album in 2007
- Milan is cancelled, the next DVD is Popmart Mexico which is being worked on

Last edited:
Maybe the band doesn't want 3 videos off one tour (Buenos Aires and that IMAX recording).

Edge's recent interview with Time magazine confirms the album news:
You're speaking from a London recording studio. Does that mean there's a new U2 album around the bend?
:edge: : Noooo. Nowhere near. We're here with [producer] Rick Rubin and enjoying the chemistry, but we're nowhere near a timetable or anything. I will say that we are having a good time. And I have a feeling that because of Rick's prescence it's going to sound very different. But really, it's early days. And we are messing about with other stuff too.

hey, maybe they are telling us that the album will be out in 2006. Clever trick.

ok...no album in 2007??? that kind of dissapoints me.

It's only the fall of 2006, it kind of sucks their already saying no album for all of next year.

But hey, at least they can bring out another DVD and charge us $30 for a "special edition"

U2Man said:
hey, maybe they are telling us that the album will be out in 2006. Clever trick.

Lol... You actually gave me some hope there.

I actually want a POPmart DVD now, more than Milan. We can wait for Milan. The tour isn't over yet.

But Bono saying no album in 2007 surprises me. He would be the first to think that the album will come in 2007 if the others think 2008.

Last edited:
RademR said:
ok...no album in 2007??? that kind of dissapoints me.

It's only the fall of 2006, it kind of sucks their already saying no album for all of next year.

What dissapointed me is that Adam "a couple of months" quote. What was that all about?

Like you said, it's only late 2006 so who knows how things will go next year with the album.

We get so many mixed messages, that I don't believe a thing. Some fans talked to ... blah blah.

But maybe U2Man is right about 2006. Adam saying a couple of monts and the others say no album in 2007. I got to stop speculating.

Last edited:
I don't know, I thought Adam was wildly optimistic or kidding about "couple of months". Edge said they're nowhere near (didn't he also say "we don't want to spent too much time", though?), and now Larry and Bono already say no album in 2007.

Makes me think they have plans for next year: that U2 movie in Sarajevo Bono was talking about (IMAX from B. Aires), Popmart Mexico....

But I think it is very strange to say no album in 2007, since 2007 is not here yet. How can they know at this point? They must have decided not to be finished in 2007. Are they planning to use more that 18 months? No wonder they are slow, when they are planning to be. But Bono to say 2007 doesn't make sense. He would say middle 2007 if the others thought 2008 - just to keep the hype on a decent level.

But maybe they also love to spread rumours, give mixed messages. Just for the fun of it :wink:.

Last edited:
That is odd.
Maybe they don't want to oversaturate the market - if 2007 is given for that IMAX movie and/or Popmart DVD...still it's late 2006 so who knows how well the sessions will go in 2007.

if thats true then I will be very disappointed with U2.
They expect us fans to go out and buy their book, their rehashed VHS-DVD live shows that we've already seen 1000 times but not produce anything new for years on end.
I hope that this story isn't true but if it is I will be very unhappy with my favourite band..

U2girl said:
That is odd.
Maybe they don't want to oversaturate the market - if 2007 is given for that IMAX movie and/or Popmart DVD...still it's late 2006 so who knows how well the sessions will go in 2007.

Yes, that makes sense. They don't want people to get sick of them, so maybe they are planning to release all this stuff (DVD, books), and go away for a while to be back from the studio to a new era later.

An Cat Gav said:
if thats true then I will be very disappointed with U2.
They expect us fans to go out and buy their book, their rehashed VHS-DVD live shows that we've already seen 1000 times but not produce anything new for years on end.
I hope that this story isn't true but if it is I will be very unhappy with my favourite band..

:huh:
Four years is the average between U2 albums. Without know anything about this year's stirrings I would have said the band would have released an album in 2008 anyways.

Then again, this year they're releasing a book and a DVD so :shrug: they can do two things in the same year.

well, it's not like they do a lot of the work in putting out DVDs and books, they probably watch it when its done and give a thumbs up. not real hard work.

PlaTheGreat said:

Four years is the average between U2 albums. Without know anything about this year's stirrings I would have said the band would have released an album in 2008 anyways.

The band has been slower from Zooropa (not to say anything off their 80's recording aside the 3 year gap between UF and JT) onwards but they have always taken less than 4 years (not counting Bomb).

Zooropa - July 1993
Pop - March 1997
ATYCLB - Oct 2000
Bomb - Nov 2004
? - ?

DO the lads have to be so f*&^ing deliberate all the time? Unleash the Edge's sense of perfection on the stage... not on the marketing table!!!!

they're like the U.S. presedential elections - once every 4 years. Anything sooner than that would be a bonus.

ElectricalVoice said:

Yes, that makes sense. They don't want people to get sick of them, so maybe they are planning to release all this stuff (DVD, books), and go away for a while to be back from the studio to a new era later.

Starting a new era?
These guys aren't getting any younger.
Unfortunately i think you're right.
But do they really think that we'd be satisfied with some book and a DVD etc??
This is really fucking pissing me off. I think they're taking the piss with this 4 year gap shit.

I'm just a bit emotional, I've been looking forward to a new album for so long, and in the quote this source gives it's like Bono and Larry are dismissing a 2007 release as if it doesn't matter when they release an album.
I'm just tired of it. I'm a devoted fan as much as anyone but I'm fucking pissed off with this.
I just hope that this is just bullshit and that there will be an album next year, all evidence was pointing to it before.

PlaTheGreat said:

I would have said that also ( :hmm: maybe I did ). :wink:

Even though this is exactly what I have been saying. Still, take even this with a grain of salt. The report is coming from a fansite, 2nd hand, from a supposed fan on the street. :shrug:.

I would go on what has been officially said on the official site. Edge's remarks there do support that a new album is nowhere on the horizon currently. 2008 fits U2's pattern and template for new studio release and tour to follow.

Quit worrying about U2 and spend some time finding new music to enjoy and support. Everyone should know by now that the stars have to be aligned a certain way to get a U2 album and tour.

I'm guessing whoever is reporting this meant to say 2006, not 2007. That would make a lot more sense.

How can they be so slow? :huh:

Imagine U2 had the creativity of The Beatles. We would have two splendid albums every single year :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom