"Largest Audience for a rock tour"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, there is no diference between PopMart and Vertigo...
The "sold out" means nothing, every show for Vertigo (I'm talking about stadiums) is sold out, the U2.com will tell you that, all newspapers the day after the show will tell you that...
BUT the shows are NOT sold out in reality, there are empty seats here and there... you can buy tickets just hours before the start of the show (oficial tickets not from scalpers).
Yes, the band learned their lesson from PopMart: they are no longer honest with the press. That's the only diference between PopMart and Vertigo.

...And, jick (aka starvinmarvin) my friend, if you want to call the best grossing tour of 1997, one of the top 5 (probably lower now) grossing tours of all time, the tour that beat the huge come back tours of RollingStones and Michael Jackson, tour that had quite a few records for the largest audience on rock show ever... a flop and "having attendance problems"...
And If you want to tell us that because on some shows there still was a place for another few tousand people (while 50,000 already was there), and because of that the band did not make money from the tour...
Than I'm going to call you blind, ignorant and simply stupid (and you can report it as a personal attack), there's no better word for what you're doing on this crusade of yours to make everything POP the worst in U2's history, than this.

There was only one mistake made on PopMart: not enough rehearsals wich was not important after a few shows anyway... (oh yes, lets not forget that the Lemon did not work right on ONE show, out of 95 shows)

bathiu said:
You know, there is no diference between PopMart and Vertigo...
The "sold out" means nothing, every show for Vertigo (I'm talking about stadiums) is sold out, the U2.com will tell you that, all newspapers the day after the show will tell you that...
BUT the shows are NOT sold out in reality, there are empty seats here and there... you can buy tickets just hours before the start of the show (oficial tickets not from scalpers).
Yes, the band learned their lesson from PopMart: they are no longer honest with the press. That's the only diference between PopMart and Vertigo.

...And, jick (aka starvinmarvin) my friend, if you want to call the best grossing tour of 1997, one of the top 5 (probably lower now) grossing tours of all time, the tour that beat the huge come back tours of RollingStones and Michael Jackson, tour that had quite a few records for the largest audience on rock show ever... a flop and "having attendance problems"...
And If you want to tell us that because on some shows there still was a place for another few tousand people (while 50,000 already was there), and because of that the band did not make money from the tour...
Than I'm going to call you blind, ignorant and simply stupid (and you can report it as a personal attack), there's no better word for what you're doing on this crusade of yours to make everything POP the worst in U2's history, than this.

There was only one mistake made on PopMart: not enough rehearsals wich was not important after a few shows anyway... (oh yes, lets not forget that the Lemon did not work right on ONE show, out of 95 shows)

Actually there is a difference between POPMART and VERTIGO. There were no empty seats in Dublin or most other shows that have been played in Europe. Sure, there are definitely empty seats when scalpers sit on tickets, someone is up at the bathroom, getting food etc.. All venues release a few hundred tickets prior to the start of the show on the day of the show and that does not take away from the fact that the show had sold all the tickets that were made available before that. Every Vertigo show in Europe soldout on the day of its release. U2 will play to more people in 32 shows on the tour in Europe than they played to on the 32 shows they played on POPMART Europe. German shows were more than half empty on POPMART, now their soldout which is amazing! U2 just played to 160,000 people in Paris at two shows! Far more than the 53,000 people they played to there on POPMART.

The Vertigo Tour is a massive success and will be U2's most successful tour in Europe ever in terms of demand and GROSS. The tour worldwide will GROSS over 300 million dollars just this year, and 2006 will add 30 or 40 million GROSS as well. This tour will GROSS double of what POPMART did.

I'm not arguing with that. Go Vertigo!

...but, just a day before the show I saw, they "released" 4000 tickets... no one's complaining about that of course (well, except scalpers who had to sell their tickets for even 50% of the ticket's face value:laugh: )
And I saw similar stories from diferent places of Europe... of course 4000 out of 70000 is nothing compared to "half empty" but it's also not "sold out" technicaly.

Then what do you consider a sold-out concert?

Because U2 puts on sale 66,000 tickets that get snapped up immediately. Thus the concert is an instant sell-out. Yes, they may withhold 4,000 tickets to combat scalper, but still. All available tickets are sold. And when those 4,000 tickets go on sale at the last day (or week), these sell out too. So what's there not to sell out? ;)

Who the fuck cares? I'm not interested in U2 being the biggest grossing act, or in them playing megastadiums with 20 storey video screens, the mega light show, light curtains or them wearing costumes.

I'm interested in 4 guys playing music that gets me in the gut. They can play in a toilet for all I care.

Back
Top Bottom