Ladies & Gents prepare for U2s fourth golden age!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinn77

The Fly
Ok, ladies prepare to cream yourselves, fellas prepare to cum in your pants. Am quoting from the excellent UK film/mucic mag "Uncut". Rick Rubin answers a short Q&A about the new Neil Diamond album he produced. Asked about any other artists out there that he would like to work with, this was the manna from heaven answer that followed..............

The artists I'd really like to work with would be U2. It's up to them, but I love e'm, and I feel like we could do something different than they do, and it'll still be them, and it'll be great.

So come on U2, the great man has said it is up to you, time to get "Rubinesque" i think.

# By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2002)
# Audioslave - Audioslave (2002)
# Steal This Album! - System of a Down (2002)
# Unearthed - Johnny Cash (2003)
# De-Loused in the Comatorium - The Mars Volta (2003) (with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez)
# The Black Album - Jay-Z (2003)
# Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium - Rage Against the Machine (2003)
# Heroes and Villains - Paloalto (2003)
# Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses) - Slipknot (2004)
# Armed Love - The (International) Noise Conspiracy (2004)
# Make Believe - Weezer (2005)
# Out of Exile - Audioslave (2005)
# Mezmerize - System of a Down (2005)
# Hypnotize - System of a Down (2005)
# Fijación Oral 1 - Shakira (2005)
# Oral Fixation 2 - Shakira (2005)
# 12 Songs - Neil Diamond (2005)
# Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2006)
# Just In Time - Justin Timberlake (2006)

most of the albums is big crap for me, i dont want him as a new record producer.

Guess those who love AB, Pop, Zooropa & War are gonna be excited about the news, but my fears are that this forum is mainly populated by MOR U2ers who cravee more ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

jinn77 said:
Guess those who love AB, Pop, Zooropa & War are gonna be excited about the news, but my fears are that this forum is mainly populated by MOR U2ers who cravee more ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

I think it's really just that we'd rather not have to dry-clean our pants.

jinn77 said:
It's up to them, but I love e'm, and I feel like we could do something different than they do, and it'll still be them, and it'll be great.

Anybody with a pedigree like Rubin's who has unique vision about what U2 could do should be listened to. U2 would be making a big mistake by not at least listening to what his vision of what U2 could do is.

The thing that's worrisome about U2 is that they might start losing their appetite for 'outsider's' influences. I wonder if the Chris Thomas thing went bad partly because U2 just didn't have it in them to work with an 'uncomfortable' personality. It can't be Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite forever. They need to start thinking outside the bun, again.

well who knows?
He worked a lot with RHCP...I like
their albums...would you deny a u2
"californication" album?
Don't know...for example a record called
"IRELANDIZATION"...:wink:

tommyvill said:
well who knows?
He worked a lot with RHCP...I like
their albums...would you deny a u2
"californication" album?
Don't know...for example a record called
"IRELANDIZATION"...:wink:

He didn't produce Californication. The first RHCP album he produced was By the Way.

That being said, I'm not sure if this would be such a great idea. I mean, Rubin could get U2 to make a really wonderful album a la By the Way, Unearthed, or Deloused in the Comatorium. However, he could also have them pull a Make Believe - and I don't think any fans want to see that. :huh:

babyman said:

What?!
Of course he produced Californication, like Blood Sugar Sex Magik and One Hot Minute

...Are you sure? :eyebrow:

....whoops. (I'm only a casual RHCP fan) :wink:

Well, I still stand by the second part of my post. Even though my credibility might now be shattered. :happy:

XHendrix24 said:

...Are you sure? :eyebrow:

....whoops. (I'm only a casual RHCP fan) :wink:

Well, I still stand by the second part of my post. Even though my credibility might now be shattered. :happy:

Yes, he did produce it...................:wink: He produces Red Hot since many years.............:wink:
And he produced RED Hot's forthcoming album, too. It's called Stadium Arcadium, and it should come out in april....................
Credibility can't be shattered by just a mistake....................:wink:

babyman said:

What?!
Of course he produced Californication, like Blood Sugar Sex Magik and One Hot Minute

Yup! Rubin deserves alot of the credit for taking the peppers to a whole new level with Blood Sugar Sex Magik, their only true "Masterpiece".

i crave more ATYCLB and HTDAAB

hehe

I think Rubin could bring a very fresh feel to U2. I think Rubin has an unbelievable talent for getting to the core of the artist, he knows how to get them to drop their guard.

-sings-

And so they say... this is the Golden Age!

But anyway, I don't really know how well I'd like U2 to sound more like RHCP and Audioslave. I don't think U2 is that type of rock band anymore. I mean their all middle aged, and well... getting old. I think the ATYCLB/HTDAAB route is right for them at this time, they don't look right trying to fit back into the giant lemon and putting on village people outfits. :uhoh: I think they should just end their career with some classic U2 music mixed with a little rock kinda like what we hear on HTDAAB. Just hope they don't overdo it.

catlhere said:

But anyway, I don't really know how well I'd like U2 to sound more like RHCP and Audioslave. I don't think U2 is that type of rock band anymore. I mean their all middle aged, and well... getting old.

Not that I disagree with your comments, but RHCP and Audioslave are middle-aged and 'getting old', as well. I don't see anything those two bands are doing that would be unbecoming of U2 to do.

His work with Cash is the stuff of legend.

That Neil Diamond record is amazing as well.

And he's been part of the amazing progression of the Chili Peppers from Frat Funk to the truely amazing songwriters they are today.

Just based on this, him working with U2 would be amazing as well.

But it wouldn't be an exploration or progressive record.

It would be U2 at the core, taking full advantage of their songwriting and using their playing to power it.

catlhere said:

But anyway, I don't really know how well I'd like U2 to sound more like RHCP and Audioslave. I don't think U2 is that type of rock band anymore. I mean their all middle aged, and well... getting old. I think the ATYCLB/HTDAAB route is right for them at this time, they don't look right trying to fit back into the giant lemon and putting on village people outfits. :uhoh: I think they should just end their career with some classic U2 music mixed with a little rock kinda like what we hear on HTDAAB. Just hope they don't overdo it.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting they sound like those bands.

The reason I think Rubin is brilliant is he really brings the best out of the artist. If you don't like any of the albums he's produced then you probably don't like the artist. He's not one of those producers who will polish a turd.

He made Kiedes drop his guard and write 'Under the Bridge', he made Cash play in front of an audience with just his acoustic something he hadn't done in decades, he made Diamond strip all the glitz and made him a songwriter again and forced him to play guitar again...he makes them face their fears, it's brilliant.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting they sound like those bands.

The reason I think Rubin is brilliant is he really brings the best out of the artist. If you don't like any of the albums he's produced then you probably don't like the artist. He's not one of those producers who will polish a turd.

He made Kiedes drop his guard and write 'Under the Bridge', he made Cash play in front of an audience with just his acoustic something he hadn't done in decades, he made Diamond strip all the glitz and made him a songwriter again and forced him to play guitar again...he makes them face their fears, it's brilliant.

Yeah, just thinking about a Rubin produced U2 record gives me goosebumps.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
he makes them face their fears, it's brilliant.

I hope U2 would be willing to face some fears. It's not always an easy thing to do, but I think it's time they're challenged by someone other than the usual suspects.

I think Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite challenge them and that's why the band has gravitated to them so much over the years, but repeatedly being challenged in the same way can also create a comfort zone that's not conducive to artistic progress.

The fact that Rubin is a genius is clear, the matter is if he and U2 would be compatible........................remember Chris Thomas, a man who worked with Pink Floyd, (who submerge all the other bands together that Rubin produced)......he was sent off and there is the least percentage of his work in How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

babyman said:
The fact that Rubin is a genius is clear, the matter is if he and U2 would be compatible........................remember Chris Thomas, a man who worked with Pink Floyd, (who submerge all the other bands together that Rubin produced)......he was sent off and there is the least percentage of his work in How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Yeah but Chris is one of those producers who just likes to polish and polish, add and add...

He may have worked with some huge names he's not the type of producer U2 needs.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But he's not.:huh:

You forget that U2 isn't a simple band to work with, you can be the biggest producer in the world, but in the end, when U2 decides to enter a studio, they decide what they want to do...............The only people I know who can enter in their ideas are Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite, these men let U2 grow up, these men created the world of U2 together with the guys, these men created U2's best ever songs, U2 and these men are a family, a nature.
That's why Thomas failed, that's why I think Rubin(like anybody else, anybody) wouldn't be the right one to enter U2 after 30 years career

babyman said:

You forget that U2 isn't a simple band to work with, you can be the biggest producer in the world, but in the end, when U2 decides to enter a studio, they decide what they want to do...............The only people I know who can enter in their ideas are Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite, these men let U2 grow up, these men created the world of U2 together with the guys, these men created U2's best ever songs, U2 and these men are a family, a nature.
That's why Thomas failed, that's why I think Rubin(like anybody else, anybody) wouldn't be the right one to enter U2 after 30 years career

Thomas failed because he's the type of producer that comes in and does his thing, he doesn't really collaborate.

If U2 decided to work with Rubin they would have to know what kind of producer he is, and that he's going to challenge them. That would be up to them.

I think Rick Rubin would bring things out of U2 that they may have forgotten they could do. I'm a huge ATYCLB/HTDAAB fan, but I think that Rubin could push the boundaries of both of those albums, while retaining the "popfulness" of the last two records.

Rubin has taken "good" bands and created some extraordinary records with them. Sure he lays an egg every few tries, but his track record, and his willingness to expand and artist repotraire, or bring it back to basics is well documented. I think he could give U2 the push over the top that they need for their next album.

Back
Top Bottom