Kurt Cobain vs The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Better Guitarist?

• Kurt Cobain

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • El Edge (thats the Edge for our non Spanish speaking friends)

Votes: 70 88.6%

• Total voters
partygirlvox said:

They didn't stand enough time because he died. They did more than a few successful albums - but (like u2) not all were particulary well recieved. And thats because they were different, that whole grunge thing was only just coming into the mainstream then. They must have been doing something right as they were bigger than pearl jam at the height of their fame. And they have quite similiar music.

Yeah, that's true.
I believe that if Kurt didn't die, the band could have go somewhere and be one of the (real and deserved) biggest bands in the world. But Kurt passed by and Nirvana - aside the praising party everybody makes around them and the Cobain myth - never proved anything really important to the music history (not counting with the grunge revolution, of course...).

partygirlvox said:
They must have been doing something right as they were bigger than pearl jam at the height of their fame. And they have quite similiar music.

if you want to get technical, Nevermind sold quicker out of the gate, but by the start of 1992, Ten had sold more copies, and has left Nevermind in it's dust since. Ten has sold approx. 12 million copies while Nevermind has sold approx. 8 million (as per Rolling Stone).

plus it was eddie vedder on the cover of time... pearl jam winning big at the first MTV VMA's of the "grunge" era, so forth. so really, nirvana didn't start to overtake Pearl Jam until around the time of Kurt's suicide.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

so really, nirvana didn't start to overtake Pearl Jam until around the time of Kurt's suicide.

I'm not saying nirvana are better than pearl jam are brilliant. Even if they only took off because Kurt cobain committed suicide..they still took off. I don't think its right that people should go out and buy albums just because the lead singer killed himself, but people did.

If I recall correctly, that list was the result of a fan poll, as is evidenced by the younger guitarists being so near the top. In fact it looks more like a popularity contest. Kurt Cobain and The Edge notwithstanding, how in the HELL did Eddie Van Halen show up as # 70? He's top 5 at LEAST!!! And Duane Allman # 2??? PLEASE!!! Even though he was a great slide guitar player, he wasn't even the best guitarist in his own band. Yeah, that list remains an absolute joke.

But at least they got # 1 right.

Back
Top Bottom