Kraftwerk - a curious coincidence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lady luck

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Maybe you too, like me, appreciated U2’s “neon light”. Of course we know it is a cover, of a song of a band called Kraftwerk. I don’t know if you know the story of this band, anyway I was just having a look on the internet and I found a VERY NICE coincidence. Well, I don’t know if this is really a coincidence or something that was mad expressly…
Anyway, here are the excerpts of what I found when I searched for the Kraftwerk’s biography on google. I don’t remember from what site these snippets come from -- sorry.

-------------
Ralf Hutter (b. 1946, Krefeld, Germany; organ) and woodwind student Florian Schneider-Esleben (b. 1947, Düsseldorf, Germany; woodwind) met while they were studying improvised music in Düsseldorf, Germany.
They chose the name Kraftwerks (power plant) and released their first album, "KRAFTWERK" in 1970. […] Ralf and Florian rejoined and released the "Kraftwerk 2" album (1971). The LP was produced in just seven days between 26th September and 1st October 1971.
In 1972 the interest in UK for German music had grown enough for the two first LPs to appear as double LP on Philips progressive VERTIGO label.
The LP appeared with a new sleeve depicting an oscillating blue electronic wave signal. The first two LPs were also re-released in Germany in 1975. At that time it was obvious that Kraftwerk's success wasn't going to be an overnight affair. With the first two albums they had created a sound that were far outside traditional parameters of pop and rock music. They were more revered by other musicians than by the general public and it was clear that Kraftwerk were very much musician's musicians.
[...]
The New Musical Express said of The Man-Machine : 'It is the only completely successful visual/aural fusion rock has produced so far'. Kraftwerk spent three years building their own Kling Klang studios in the late 70s, complete with, inevitably, scores of computers. The single 'The Model', from The Man-Machine, gave the band a surprise hit when it topped the UK charts in 1982, and it led to a trio of hits, including 'Showroom Dummies' and 'Neon Lights'.

-----------------------

Cool, isn’t it?

Just about everything you listen to has Kraftwerk to thank. Read up more on them and get hold of some of their music, in all seriousness, they'd be one of the 2 or 3 most influential artists of the last 50 years.

They'll play in Italy in a few days. I think I'll go and have a listen!

Back
Top Bottom