"Knockin on your door" - - - ONE question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baker6621

War Child
Every live "One" I've ever heard, or 95% of them have included the
"I hear you comin lord, I hear you call, I hear you knockin, knockin on the door, hear you call hear you scratchin..." or something to that effect.

I'm wondering if it's from another song or something Bono just made up, and if it comes from Revelation 3:20, ""Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in" (Revelation 3:20).

I just thought it was interesting, I was reading about some intrepertations and ran accross it - wanted to know if anyone knew the answer. Thanks.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Originally posted by baker6621:

I'm wondering if it's from another song or something Bono just made up, and if it comes from Revelation 3:20, ""Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in" (Revelation 3:20).

I'm pretty sure it's original...and I wouldn't doubt that it comes from that passage of scripture...

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

Actually, Bono says "Do you hear [/i]me[/i] coming Lord" instead of "I hear you..."

Do you hear me coming Lord?
You hear me call?
Hear me knocking, knocking at your door?

Do you hear me coming Lord
You hear me call?
Feel me scratching, will you make me crawl?
etc.

Originally posted by Diemen:
Actually, Bono says "Do you hear [/i]me[/i] coming Lord" instead of "I hear you..."

Do you hear me coming Lord?
You hear me call?
Hear me knocking, knocking at your door?

Do you hear me coming Lord
You hear me call?
Feel me scratching, will you make me crawl?
etc.

***major chills*** I remember the first time I heard it at a ZOO TV concert. It was so beautiful and the first time I had ever heard him add that part in!

Thanks for the correction, it was 1 A.M.
smile.gif

I just think its very interesting and it has to do with that passage which refers to asking Jesus/God into your heart and taking control of your life.

A few times, it seems to me, he has said "Do you hear US coming, Lord?" I'm thinking of the Sarajevo version in particular...

-sula

So would you say it is a positive message or a negative plea? Is he asking for God or afraid that God is not gonna hear him scratching or gonna make him crawl? The reason I ask is because Revevlations sounds very positive but I am not sure what to make of Bono's part.

ok not to sound like a total blonde or to insult those out there that are blondes hehe but isn't there a Very early U2 song out there called Knocking on Heaven's Door that Bono once sang?? I remember an exfriend of mine finding this one LP that was rather scratched up for it's age that had Bono singing when he was very young and his voice was still in that stage of...changing. Methinks it might be a line from that song for him singing that during the live versions of ONE. ok i'm done.
LATERS!!
-Me-

Yes - it's a Dylan tune and covered beautifully by Guns and Roses. I suggest you download it.

Anyways, back to the point, I think it sounds like a negative plea because of the scratching and "will you make us crawl". It's like he's knocking on the door and Jesus/God can't hear him, he starts scratching on the door, etc. It's quite interesting, and the way he says it, one of my favorite parts of "One" live.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
I really like how he changed the words to "him" after his Dad died and let the last sentence be a question "Did you make him crawl?". It really brought me to tears there because you could really hear how he was talking to God and not thinking of us in the audience at that moment.

I think Bono sang a similar thing in honor of Michael Hutchence too: "Did you hear him calling Lord? Did you hear him call?" etc. I believe he does that on the PopMart video- it's truly a touching moment.

And I'm pretty sure it's "Lord" instead of "love," but I could be wrong! Bono could always change it around often too.

I love that part, and like "shine like stars" in WOWY it is indeed a Bono original.

I wonder what are the instances where One has been performed without that verse.. the ones I can think of are the album version, the brit awards (i'm walkin' away by craig david instead), and irving plaza (walk on)

I really like how he changed the words to "him" after his Dad died and let the last sentence be a question "Did you make him crawl?". It really brought me to tears there because you could really hear how he was talking to God and not thinking of us in the audience at that moment.

I think he says either or both...and anyways hes often used 'love' as a metaphor for God so i see it prettymuch the same way in this case...

well its always sounded like love to me! lol even the lyric archive here says "love" for the version of One on the Miss Sarajevo single.Anyway I was drunk when I posted that last night, just making a prick of myself like usual! lol

Back
Top Bottom