Kite with One Status Now ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
Thing I was thinking , if you look back u can see some coincidences between Kite and One .

Look at One , sure it was a single and a hit with all those videos already on ZOOTV still , on the Zoo Show it was a fantastic emotional moment , but at that time it was just one more album of the tour song , and it was featured as the 5th song of the set , after all the sucess on ZOO , single and Modena , it became a sort of 'chief' in the show , on popmart , As being put in the encore and as being many times the ending song of the show , and with that extended ending

Now look at Kite , on the elevation tour , it was many times as well the 5th song of the show , a 2 guitars emotional song as One , and highlight of the show , of course 4 legs of Vertigo and nothing of it , but now u can see it was a powerful return , It became from nowhere the closer of the show , not even Walk On which closed every elevation show gave a treatment like that , it's certainly a highlight place , and with this it also returned re-vamped and with a such powerful and excellent ending by Edge .

So I now ask , after this similar progress in the tours of these songs , how long will Kite reach ? Although not having being a single , will at least have like 50% of the media/sucess of One ?

I think it's more similar to UTEOTW. You know, it's the whole "wow, we really regret not releasing this as a single...the fans really love it...let's give it special treatment live" thing. :wink:

Maybe because it was one of the best live songs on ATYCLB and the 5th Leggers deserve to hear it?

One's one of U2's most popular songs, while Kite is not.

And Kite's last verse ruins it from reaching true greatness.

I like Kite's last verse, but it just doesn't fit with the rest of the song. :huh: I could name far worse U2 lyrics than those...namely OOTS and Stuck. :| Two sappy ballads without Kite's punch.

Original really takes off around the bridge wheras Kite dies around there.

Stuck in a Moment's ending is very poignant, especially with Edge singing the last verse.

Atleast for me.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Original really takes off around the bridge wheras Kite dies around there.

Stuck in a Moment's ending is very poignant, especially with Edge singing the last verse.

Atleast for me.

Stuck is semi-poignant when played acoustic.

OOTS would be terrible no matter what instrument it's played on...

Well, except for maybe harp. :wink:

Kite is far and away a much better song than One, studio and live. I hope it stays a live staple for as long as One has, maybe even replace it. One is now completely stale, even live.

And I really really like Kite's final verse. I think it fits perfectly. Especially in it's new capacity as a show closer. :yes:

Lancemc said:
Kite is far and away a much better song than One, studio and live. I hope it stays a live staple for as long as One has, maybe even replace it. One is now completely stale, even live.

Wow, that's a pretty ballsy thing to say. Kite is one of my favorites off of ATYCLB, and it has a touching, emotional quality that is similar to One.

However, One is 'an eternal song' that just seems to have always been there. It's a song that can mean one thing to you, and a completely different thing to me, yet we can both see where the other is coming from in terms of the song, and that is why it will never be stale.

I don't think Kite is 'far and away' a better song, it's not even a better song...but it's still a great song. One is a classic...Kite is not quite.

Fair enough. I guess it's just that One doesn't move me anymore, and Kite can often bring me pretty damn close to tears. I also just think it's a more beautiful song.

kite may be a better song than one, it is a better song live right now, but kite will never reach the "status" of one

I understand where both are you are coming from, song wise. I guess that the myth of the song is something I bought into a long, long, long time ago.

It just seems to say so much...and the lyrics are pretty simple. I think that it's power stems from the fact it can be interpreted one hundred million different ways.

I'm still not sure Kite is a better song though.

Saying Kite is better than One isn't a dig at One.

I love that song.

It's a compliment to Kite. It has the "strange" structure everyone here always says they want.

Then when they get it, nobody even notices.

It's one of this decades lyrical masterpieces from Bono as well.

Somewhere I can taste the salt of the sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

Man. Good stuff.

Lancemc said:
Somewhere I can taste the salt of the sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

Yes indeed. Absolutely heart-wrenching. :sad: Right up there with Bad.

Vertigo One is killed by the speech.

Kite is more powerful to me than One has ever been. I think it's easily the best song from ATYCLB, whereas One is my least favorite from AB.

"One" has, arguably, Bono's best lyrics ever. The fact that the song can be interpreted in so many ways proves how powerful those lyrics are. It's truly a universal song.

I wasn't a fan of the beginning of the song when I first heard it and tend to skip it as a result. And I wasn't used to Bono's scratchy voice at that time (remember, this was coming after the operatic JT/R&H era). But I grew to love "One" and feel it is one of those songs that will never age. The fact that "One" and AB failed to win more Grammy awards may be one reason why U2 have won SO many Grammies lately. While ATYCLB and HTDAAB are certainly deserving, I also think it's a bit of an apology for the AB oversight.

"Kite" is a brilliant song. The last verse does take the song elsewhere, but as Bono tends to write more biographically these days, it is appropriate. But the result of writing more personal means that the songs aren't quite as universal any more. This, I believe, is one reason why some fans don't think Bono's writing is as good as it was in the past. It is just as good, it's just that fans can't relate to the words as well (that, and the fact, that Bono allows himself some fun with the lyrics these days - like using the word "bubblegum" :sexywink: ).

However, everyone can relate to the breeziness and flittering of a kite - and that is why the song is a concert favorite. Fans have heard the song on ATYCLB and enjoyed it - and instantly recognize it in concert (like they do "Bad" and UTEOTW). It's become a non-single concert classic, and for good reason.

But it won't ever have the power of "One".

However, it is nice to see U2 mix up their set-list enough to allow a song like "Kite" to be a closer. It is something unexpected.

Still, I hope in future tours, U2 do whip out some older classics, like the ones suggested in the Interference article. Songs like "One Tree Hill" are brilliant and there are many fans who haven't heard it. If U2 can play "An Cat Dubh", they can play "One Tree Hill". And I think they'll get a better response from the audience for it too.

That moment when Edge kicks in the second solo is probably the most mindblowing ending to a U2 show I have ever seen (on YouTube). Shows why Kite should be played a lot more than they've done on this tour.

Thumbs up to U2 for that arrangement. Brilliant.

Bono releasing the kite is cool, but I keep thinking he's copying Roger Waters' releasing of the inflatable pig during his shows :eyebrow:.

U2Man said:
That moment when Edge kicks in the second solo is probably the most mindblowing ending to a U2 show I have ever seen (on YouTube). Shows why Kite should be played a lot more than they've done on this tour.

Thumbs up to U2 for that arrangement. Brilliant.
Yep i fully agree, The edge really does something special now during Kite.

I think Kite is more of the 'song we put at the end of the show to fool the Aussies into thinking we changed up the setlist', instead of the new One.

Back
Top Bottom