Kite with One Status Now ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kite is so powerful right now, even if i think there's something missing on this arrangement, something out of place.the final solo is so great, but why repeating the middle of the song?
the strenght of kite comes from its minimalism, its reflecting the soul so well,
anyway, kite is now a live standard and one of the band's masterpiece, its moving.
Since elevation , i wanted to hear it again, and its done in teh most beatiful way.

Despite the last verse, which just would be OK in itself but IMO just doesn't fit with the rest of the song's theme, Kite is just brilliant. Kite & Walk On stand out on ATYCLB to me, far above the rest of the album (which is a bit underrated around here, I think). OOTS does the same on HTDAAB.

It's not the new One though...honestly One hasn't even been One for a couple of tours now.

No, it won't.
I like Kite but it would never beat One, even if both were not singles, or if both were.
For that place, other "more or less" unknown songs could follow too in that place. OOTS would fit perfectily, but Walk On Please would too.

I enjoy how OOTS made it into this too. I think they all have something special going for them. Kite's new arrangement is awesome. OOTS, when played with Edge on guitar absolutely is awesome, and One in its glory during ZooTV was awesome as well.

Now if only they could figure out a new arrangement to SYCMIOYO... I'm not giving up hope just yet.

Love among U2's fans sure, but since it wasn't a single and is a 6 year old song, it isn't going to find any attention in the media.

LemonMacPhisto said:

And Kite's last verse ruins it from reaching true greatness.

I like it :D

I remember when I laughed when I heard it for the first time - it felt as if Bono suddenly hadstopped writing and told Edge to finish the lyrics.

U2Man said:
That moment when Edge kicks in the second solo is probably the most mindblowing ending to a U2 show I have ever seen (on YouTube). Shows why Kite should be played a lot more than they've done on this tour.

Thumbs up to U2 for that arrangement. Brilliant.

Yes! :combust:

Kite sounds better than ever before with that extended solo at the end. :combust:

That said, there's no comparison to the classic that is One.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

I like it :D

I remember when I laughed when I heard it for the first time - it felt as if Bono suddenly hadstopped writing and told Edge to finish the lyrics.

:lol:

I would've said let Chris Martin finish the lyrics, but that's just me.

Like LemonMelon said, they just don't fit with the rest of the song.

And to me, the beginning and middle of Kite are the best, whereas the endings of One and Original are the best and leave me wanting more.

Kite is a one-night stand.

Original is a sweet girlfriend.

One is banging Elisha Cuthbert.

LemonMacPhisto said:

:lmao:

Elisha Cuthbert! :combust:

What you said about One and OOTS having great endings is very true! :up:

Am I the only one that hears more than one guitar at the end of kite in that video clip that was posted in the audio/video section?

LemonMacPhisto said:

Awesome :lmao:

The idea of elisha cuthbert is naked on ur bed , and u're about to do things with her :combust:

Man I would listen One all night long :drool:

Yeah , indeed It's getting better :wink: Finally would make sense

BAck to topic , Interesting that , I don't think I made myself much clear on this , that no one wanted to make comments on the live progression between One and Kite , the way they all grow in the following tour and all

Last edited:
I don't think that it equals the status of One. However, and a big WOW, I hope everyone here is listening to the new live version of Kite being performed down in Australia. Absolutely gorgeous! It's clocking in at 7 and half minutes with 2 Edge guitar solos. The second solo is 1:40 long! (Is this the longest solo by Edge in U2's history?).

You deserve a pizza Z00rop@83! You’re right, I checked out Love Is Blindness from the Stay Single and its about 1:58 long. By the way, Bullet’s solo is 1:30.

I just was thinking about one of the reflections made below, is Kite (Live 2006) the 00s equivalent of Bad (Live) from the 80s and Please (Live) from the 90s – “a breathtaking set piece, show-stopper, classic live epic”?

From Elmo at u2log today:

I really hope some good quality bootlegs of these Australian shows make it out soon, because what U2 have done with Kite on this tour is like what they did with Bad: take a stand-out album track and turn it into a breathtaking set piece, show-stopper, classic live epic.

Edge takes the roof off with his extended solo/outro during which Bono flies the kite in the crowd. And when you think things literally can’t get any higher, Bono sings one last chorus, letting go of the kite. And it is honestly the most incredible, moving moment I have ever seen U2 perform, ever. And what makes it all the more beautiful, is that it is just them as a band, this heart melting song and Bono flying a kite – a freaking kite!

Who cares in that moment, about all the technology, all the sensory overload? U2 don’t need that. It’s like Bono has taken all he talks about not wanting to ever grow out of feeling wonderment for world, and solidified it into the most perfect piece of theatre he’s ever created. But it is such a heavy song – ‘I want you to know that you don’t need me anymore / I want you to know that you do need anyone, or anything at all.’

This track for me, sums up everything about U2 that makes them the greatest band in the history of music: the simple fact that life is complex. We have to grow up and be responsible, people will die and leave us on our own, everything you know will change one day, in an instant. ‘Who’s to know when the time has come around? / Don’t want to see you cry/ I know that this is not goodbye.’ But smell the flowers while you can, because so much is so lovely about the world. I don’t mean to go so over the top here, but I want to convey as best I can, the beauty and the magic of this moment. I cried. DAMN!

If it’s true that Bono is the driving force behind U2 who pushes them to keep going, then I don’t think we have anything to worry about them stopping any time soon. I know we were all traumatised by the ‘we have to go away’ speech, preparing for every tour to be the last – I can’t see that happening for a good long while.

In terms of mastering their craft, I think U2 have hit a new creative peak, and Bono doesn’t seem happy to rely on passion alone in his performance anymore – he could easily take up a second (or is that third, fourth?) career as an opera tenor – he holds incredibly difficult notes for long, loooooooong periods. Night after night, making it all look easy. We’ve waited a long time to see this, and it has been so, so worth it.

U2’s commitment – to their fans and to eachother – is inspiring stuff. You can stay true to your essence while pushing yourself ever further. The latest U2 singles – Saints, and Window in the Skies, one a nod to their roots, the other looking to the future – could not be more different, yet noone other than U2 could have created them.

OK. I’m feeling totally awestruck at the moment, so I’ll stop.

These days run away like horses over the hills.

U2Soar said:
I just was thinking about one of the reflections made below, is Kite (Live 2006) the 00s equivalent of Bad (Live) from the 80s and Please (Live) from the 90s – “a breathtaking set piece, show-stopper, classic live epic”?

Trade Please for Until the end of the world and yes, you could be one to something. The new Kite is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom